Brand New McIntosh MA252 Scratched / QA

sc1801

Go Gamecocks!
Hello all,

I'm the proud new owner of a MA252 hybrid integrated and it sound magnificent. This is my first new McIntosh and I just had a quick question for the experts out there.

Of course seeing how expensive as this amp was, I was concerned to see several random scratches and marks on the chassis. One gouge in the stainless on the front right, two scratches in the black painted base, and what looks like scuff marks all down the sides where the stainless and black painted base meet. (Pictures below)

Is this considered normal? I know it's hand built and all but I have $200 receivers that came out of the box perfect... thoughts??

3youu7ql.jpg

Hz271jsl.jpg

SJ6mm9hl.jpg

T0cLuPql.jpg

I purchased all of my McIntosh equipment preowned, and most of it is cleaner than that.
I would not say that that is normal. If I received it that way, after paying full price, it would be going back.

Return it to your dealer. This is UNACCEPTABLE for sure.

I've received similar new "damaged" equipment from Mc. In both occasions, my dealer went to bat for me and the units were replaced. It took Mc forever to do it, but they did eventually make it right.

return it
before that....check for this: start your unit with a remote, turn it off by hand, rh knob...see if all your input pre-sets are still on as you set them up...

I'm sure McIntosh will agree that this is unacceptable. Someone at the factory dropped the ball.

take it back! :wtf: Mcintosh would never let that go out like that I would question the Dealer for sure! That Unit has been Fooled with! 100% Take it back and don't wait!!!!:whip:

100% agree with all the above. Don't accept anything other than a new unit. No fix-ups!

Dave

Something fishy about that one.

Send it back. Write Mac and see what they say too. If a dealer of theirs is playing games they need to know about it.

A friend recently told me about a new MA9000 he had received with a couple minor blemishes but nothing like the MA252 shown.

I learned a hard way with some other pricey consumer product being DOA after taken home...since then, for all expensive goods I request to open box, inspect, test run it @ dealer/seller before finalizing

Looks like someone pulled the bottom cover to take a look inside. Did not replace the cover carefully.

Back in the old days if something like that happened Gordon Gow the president of Mc would replace them in the Northeast personally. In my part of the World Charles Lucas Sales was our stocking distributor and a replacement was on the bus for next day pick up immediately from Dallas. We didn't have cell phone or digital cameras either. The Farah family had a 2105 come in with a loose label on a 2105 transformer. and we had replacement the next day, as we gave them a new one out of stock. When my MVP 861 went south after one year Frank Gow sent me another as Macs turn around time for repairs was to long he thought. One of our ML-4s came in with a scratch with no sign of external damage. We took pictures and rather than have to deal with the transportation company Mac paid for the local Steinway Piano company finish expert make the repairs. The boxes 240's, 275's and 225's weren't the best. One of my 275's came in with broken KT-88. We kept a dozen Mac tubes unstock and Mac authorized immediate replacement and shipped me a new Box with the correct serial number stamped on the box. When Davie came in for A Mac Clinic 4 or 5 months later he replaced all my tubes at N/C. He new I had an issue and didn't bother to test the two amps before replacing the tubes.

Our company policy was to inspect every piece before pick-up or delivery unless the purchaser didn't wish to have their new piece touched by human hands was they way we thought about it. I will say the guys at Audio Classics really go the extra mile when it comes to packing. They use better boxes and packing materials.

Last edited:
Yup....something is up. I have a hard time believing that many cosmetics issues on a single unit, were allowed to slip out the factory doors.

Yup....something is up. I have a hard time believing that many cosmetics issues on a single unit, were allowed to slip out the factory doors.

Yeah crazy enough it is true. The box was factory sealed on both ends with the McIntosh factory tape so I was definitely the first one to open it. My dealer certainly didn't have anything to do with this. They're in contact with Mc now working on getting me a replacement.

the following is only a fragment of an ongoing story:
I ordered 2 mc units...went to pick them up..opened boxes, tested them, did not work for one of the inputs...it was 'established' that the receiving unit is bad (lets call it unit no.1)...dealer+mc promised to send a new unit (lets call it unit no.2)...new unit came, went to pick it up...guess where was the 'bad' unit no.1?
on a floor, with the sticker price attached, offered for sale...thats how mc dealer operates with mc knowledge..
only part of the ongoing story...

Do you know for a fact that "Unit 1" had not been repaired by the time you returned to the dealer?

Back
Top Bottom