Sansui 8 differences

Hey guys, so I'm being offered both an 8 (haven't checked if it has the relay) and 8 deluxe at 100 bucks difference (deluxe being more expensive) which one should i get?

I have the Deluxe , have not heard the 8 . So not much help but the deluxe isn't going anywhere soon . Unless stupid money comes my way . I would still probably not part with it for 8 Benjamins. They are getting harder and harder to find and the price just keeps going through the roof. Just my 2 cents.

I
I have the Deluxe , have not heard the 8 . So not much help but the deluxe isn't going anywhere soon . Unless stupid money comes my way . I would still probably not part with it for 8 Benjamins. They are getting harder and harder to find and the price just keeps going through the roof. Just my 2 cents.
Just found out that the tuner lights go out when you switch it to different inputs. Is there any way to Disable this?? I like my tuner lights on all the time

I am sure there is . But I am not the guy to offer any suggestions . I am sure someone will chime in .

I

Just found out that the tuner lights go out when you switch it to different inputs. Is there any way to Disable this?? I like my tuner lights on all the time

There is a mod for this or a similar model somewhere here on AK, but it is not simple.

Would you know if this worked on the 8D?

I do not know if it would work for you. What I was hoping to convey was stuff like this has been done and AK is a great place to get exactly this kind of help.

I am 50% through my first big Sansui restoration, a solid state 7000, so I have a little experience with a related model, but zero experience with the Eight or Eight Deluxe.

My recommendation to you is: make a new thread specifically on modding the model you want, refernce the thread I linked above, and ask others for help. I can ink that's your best path to answering "can it be done" and "how it is done".

Yes, you can mod both the Eight and deluxe to keep on lights at any input. I haven't done the mod, but it is not for the faint of heart. I think Sansui tried to say, - - hey this is not a receiver, but a serious integrated amp that happens to have a build in tuner for which we will provide light only when you need it ;-)

They are both difficult to work on, but the Deluxe is much easier to adjust. It also sounds a tad more refined imo, but the difference is no more than what can quickly be offset by individual condition of the amp.

Yang

Thank you for the vote of confidence. I really want one but those lights not being on during phono or aux is a deal breaker

Trivial insignificant deal breaker. Bottom line: quality, performance, sound, longevity. All the other stuff is fluff and meaningless

Audioo, what do you base your comments on? Do you have these receivers? Have you taken them apart and restored them?

I have both an early production Eight and a mid production Eight Deluxe and can say without a doubt the Eight Deluxe is the better of the two. Sansui thought so too, here is the first page of the Eight Deluxe brochure where Sansui outlines the improvements incorporated into the Eight Deluxe.

Eight_Deluxe-a.jpg

The build quality of the early production Eight Deluxe is identical to the Eight. During it's production there were two minor cost cutting changes, they dropped the engraved face plate and changed from solid aluminum knobs with set screws to aluminum knobs with plastic inserts. Other than that the build quality is identical to the late production Eight. My Eight Deluxe has an engraved face plate but the later production knobs.

The early production Eight did not have a speaker protection relay. It relied on a crude "crowbar" circuit and fuses to protect the speakers. That's a significant short coming (pun intended). Based on poling done on this topic the Sansui Serial Number Database indicates the speaker relay was incorporated in January 1972 production.

As far as "The Engineer's Receiver'" I believe that title was invented by our AK member SoCalSam who bestowed it on the Eight. It's been tossed around a lot here on AK but I've never seen that reference in any Sansui Document. In my opinion it's just a fan name without any special meaning. Since the Eight Deluxe has significant improvements developed by Sansui Engineers, I believe it deserves the title of "Engineer's" Receiver.

I also have a 7000 and can say it has the same overall build quality of the Eight but lacks Eight's sophistication. Build quality and circuit design distinctly different measures of a piece of audio equipment. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the 7000 has the same chassis, which in my opinion sets the build quality standard but uses older design electronics which despite the high build quality drops it down a notch from the Eight and maybe two notches from the Eight Deluxe.

- Pete

Last edited:
Audioo, what do you base your comments on? Do you have these receivers? Have you taken them apart and restored them?

I have both an early production Eight and a mid production Eight Deluxe and can say without a doubt the Eight Deluxe is the better of the two. Sansui thought so too, here is the first page of the Eight Deluxe brochure where Sansui outlines the improvements incorporated into the Eight Deluxe.

View attachment 1642934

The build quality of the early production Eight Deluxe is identical to the Eight. During it's production there were two minor cost cutting changes, the dropped the engraved face plate and changed from solid aluminum knobs with set screws to aluminum knobs with plastic inserts. Other than that the build quality is identical to the late production Eight. My Eight Deluxe has an engraved face plate but the later production knobs.

The early production Eight did not have a speaker protection relay. It relied on a crude "crowbar" circuit and fuses to protect the speakers. That's a significant short coming (pun intended). Based on poling done on this topic the Sansui Serial Number Database indicates the speaker relay was incorporated in January 1972 production.

As far as "The Engineer's Receiver'" I believe that title was invented by our AK member SoCalSam who bestowed it on the Eight. It's been tossed around a lot here on AK but I've never seen that reference in any Sansui Document. In my opinion it's just a fan name without any special meaning. Since the Eight Deluxe has significant improvements developed by Sansui Engineers, I believe it deserves the title of "Engineer's" Receiver.

I also have a 7000 and can say it has the same overall build quality of the Eight but lacks Eight's sophistication. Build quality and circuit design distinctly different measures of a piece of audio equipment. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the 7000 has the same chassis, which in my opinion sets the build quality standard but uses older design electronics which despite the high build quality drops it down a notch from the Eight and maybe two notches from the Eight Deluxe.

- Pete
I have an early original 8 without the relay, i have an 881, i have a 350 and a 5000x. Of course they have to hype the later 8 deluxe over the true original so they can make more sales. Sony and every other manufacturer did that to forget the old and go with the newer model.
The Original and true Engineers Receiver is the 8.
My 8 has the balls for really deep bass even on crappy speakers like fishers i tested it on. Very impressive. Better than any ss marantz or that shrill sounding overrated sansui 9090db. Glad i got rid of that

My 5000x sounds crisp crystal clear with eastern german made speakers. Was impressed

Never compare gear that's not restored, otherwise you are comparing degrees of component degradation / out of spec rather than inherent design. An Eight can sound shrill and "lacking" if the diff. Amp is not adjusted to spec. I think we are all guilty of sweeping statements at times, but do keep an open mind until you've actually listened to the amps you opine about and A/B'd them in like condition.

Back
Top Bottom