Dropped $850 bucks on a power conditioner and nothing improved.

It seems the presumption was the noise is coming in through the AC mains but perhaps that is not the case at all. Perhaps it's coming in from EMI/RFI, more likely IMO, in which case the Furman will do nothing.

Have you changed cables or components or anything that might have affected sensitivity to EMI/RFI?

Does it occur with any particular source(s) but not others?

Have you broken down the system to the most basic unit...just the receiver and speakers connected, nothing else, to see if it still occurs? If OK then, add back one component at a time to try to find the offender.

With all the other components disconnected, you could even try disconnecting the speaker wires at the receiver and try headphones.

About the other receiver, if you exhaust all the above, I would try it regardless of the 4/8 ohm thing. You're not having a crankfest party here, you're just trying to see if you get the same/similar noise problems so there won't be overheating nor abnormally high stress on the receiver just to check this. And, again, I'd start with just the receiver and speakers, nothing else connected.
If that works then start adding back components one at a time to try to ID the offender.

MY HERO!

Have you changed cables or components or anything that might have affected sensitivity to EMI/RFI? No changes whatsoever.

Does it occur with any particular source(s) but not others? Yes. The boiler, fridge, neighbours fridge [adjacent suite] overhead fluorescent light and a fluorescent lamp. The lamp is by far the worst one. An LED lamp has no effect. Neither does an air purifier or humidifier.

Have you broken down the system to the most basic unit...just the receiver and speakers connected, nothing else, to see if it still occurs? If OK then, add back one component at a time to try to find the offender. I just swapped out the turntable.The only other component is a Nova II phono stage. I incorrectly assumed that because the noise occurred even when the turntable was off it wasn't the Nova. BUT I WAS WRONG:crazy:I took your advice and swapped out the RCA's but the issue was still there. I took the Nova out and the problem is gone. I plugged the turntable into both the phono stage and the auxiliary inputs on the amp and turned the lamp on and off several times and then opened the fridge door and let it cycle on and off and NADA. The boiler is fine too. I also noticed a small hum with the Nova in the system when I turn the receiver halfway to full volume that is not there with the onboard phono stage.

I'll call Musical Surroundings this morning and see what they have to say. They have very good customer service. Thank you very much whoaru99 :thumbsup:

With all the other components disconnected, you could even try disconnecting the speaker wires at the receiver and try headphones.

About the other receiver, if you exhaust all the above, I would try it regardless of the 4/8 ohm thing. You're not having a crankfest party here, you're just trying to see if you get the same/similar noise problems so there won't be overheating nor abnormally high stress on the receiver just to check this. And, again, I'd start with just the receiver and speakers, nothing else connected.
If that works then start adding back components one at a time to try to ID the offender.

Sad to hear of your issues
I also run an on demand domestic hot water system gas fed with a 120 volt power feed for the controls
this one is a Navien and have never had issues with pops or transients.
In fact I have 2 with one feeding a hot water radiator loop and again no bad affects.

You need to try another amp first, is your new hot water source gas or electrical?

Good morning Rick. It is gas but not the issue after all. It's seems the problem is identified.
At least that Furman looks cool!:rockon:

It does! I think that I will keep it!

Issue resolved. I was convinced that it was the house but completely wrong.

I opened the Nova to see if I could find something that did not look right but there is no burning or anything on the side of the circuit board I can see. I don't dare unscrew it to look at the backside.

The ground wire is tight and secure also. So it must be in the unit or perhaps the power supply.

Thanks very much to everyone who took the time to reply to this thread!

Last edited:
Edit: Read you found problem. Great. Disregard following. Excepts turntable possible ground issue.

Side issue you mention. Intermittent hum with turntable that sometimes disappeared with left rca wiggle. Does the turntable have a separate ground wire? Some ground through one of the rcas. Moving it could make it ground.
Do you have one of the three light circuit testers to test outlets are wired correctly and grounded? As a renter thats something you can check.
Not being the owner, limits what you can do without possibly opening self up to liability ifyou caused damage to building
or other renters property. IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_20180308_101346.jpg
    IMG_20180308_101346.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 20
I'm glad your issue has been resolved. I have two Furman Elite-15 DMi power conditioners. One is installed in my main system and the other is used with my home theater. I bought the first one in 2008 and the second in 2010. I paid $400 for each one from a friend who happens to be a Furman dealer. He designs, sells, and installs sound systems in churches, schools, gymnasiums, etc. They listed for $500 each. The prices have apparently gone up considerably since then.

I'm glad I have them. Last week, during a nasty wind and snow storm, they cycled off and then back on about 4 or 5 times during the early part of the storm when the winds were gusting to over 50 mph. I bought them because they're the only way I could connect everything in my systems where I have them located. Each one is connected to the twin AC outlet behind the systems. They shut down if a power surge is plus or minus 20% of 120V. Cheap insurance in my book.

For those unfamiliar, each one has 12 outlets on the back panel and one on the front panel.

Last edited:
Edit: Read you found problem. Great. Disregard following. Excepts turntable possible ground issue.

Side issue you mention. Intermittent hum with turntable that sometimes disappeared with left rca wiggle. Does the turntable have a separate ground wire? Some ground through one of the rcas. Moving it could make it ground.
Do you have one of the three light circuit testers to test outlets are wired correctly and grounded? As a renter thats something you can check.
Not being the owner, limits what you can do without possibly opening self up to liability ifyou caused damage to building
or other renters property. IMO.

The vintage table I'm using has a new SME arm that has a ground that protrudes from the left channel RCA. I don't use the Akai's onboard MM stage because the Dynavector cartridge I'm using is LOMC. The wiggle issue was with an older Dual CS 5000 that needs a small repair. The plan is to set up both tables if I can ever move from my hovel into a larger space.

I do not have a tester like that but I'll be sure to buy one. I should really have a decent voltage meter also shouldn't I?

I can't address your issue, but I have two Furman Elite-15 DMi power conditioners. One is installed in my main system and the other is used with my home theater. I bought the first one in 2008 and the second in 2010. I paid $400 for each one from a friend who happens to be a Furman dealer He designs, sells, and installs sound systems in churches, schools, gymnasiums, etc. They listed for $500 each. The prices have apparently gone up considerably since then.
I'm glad I have them. Last week, during a nasty wind and snow storm, they cycled off and then back on about 4 or 5 times during the early part of the storm when the winds were gusting to over 50 mph. I bought them because they're the only way I could connect everything in my systems where I have them located. Each one is connected to the twin AC outlet behind the systems. They shut down if a power surge is plus or minus 20% of 120V. Cheap insurance in my book.

I'm talking Canadian dollars but they have gone up. I am keeping the Furman. I'll upgrade to a much better amp and pre or perhaps an integrated this year and the Furman will be insurance and peace of mind.

IMG_20180308_114639.jpg
The vintage table I'm using has a new SME arm that has a ground that protrudes from the left channel RCA. I don't use the Akai's onboard MM stage because the Dynavector cartridge I'm using is LOMC. The wiggiationle issue was with an older Dual CS 5000 that needs a small repair. The plan is to set up both tables if I can ever move from my hovel into a larger space.

I do not have a tester like that but I'll be sure to buy one. I should really have a decent voltage meter also shouldn't I?

Those testers are only about $4 in US. For the non tech savy like myself an autoranging multitester was good investment. In the AK DIY thread, I think there are model recommendations from some resident techs. I have a Gardner Bender brand one. No affiliation.

Edit: If your going to check house citcuits with the meter snd leads should be rated for 220 volt single phase use. In US there are ratings to protect user from shock. Meter in pic is Cat 3 rated for 600volts. Was $35 US at a Menard's store. IMO, cheap for peace of mind.

Last edited:
should really have a decent voltage meter also shouldn't I?

Now a days pretty much any of the ones from the big box stores will suffice. I use high dollar ones at work everyday but my one at home is a $15 Craftsman. Sent it through our cal lab for S&G’s, came out with a cal sticker on it.

Last edited:
I got a $23 one at Harbor Fright a couple weeks ago just to keep at Mom's house when I visit and fix things. With a 20% off coupon it was about $20, rubberized, and did everything I asked of it. For occasional use these cheap meters seem fine. Take the batteries out of you don't use it often.

I was gonna suggest that the $ you spent on the Furman is kind of out of synch with the 'old Akai' but it sounds like you're thinking of an upgrade anyway. I found a $50 APC on Craigs with lots of outlets, over/under voltage protection and everything. Very happy with it so far.

I got a $23 one at Harbor Fright a couple weeks ago just to keep at Mom's house when I visit and fix things. With a 20% off coupon it was about $20, rubberized, and did everything I asked of it. For occasional use these cheap meters seem fine. Take the batteries out of you don't use it often.

I was gonna suggest that the $ you spent on the Furman is kind of out of synch with the 'old Akai' but it sounds like you're thinking of an upgrade anyway. I found a $50 APC on Craigs with lots of outlets, over/under voltage protection and everything. Very happy with it so far.

There are several used power conditioners on Craig's here for less money. I did not go that route because of an AK thread where a member explained that the Mov's wear out over time and I didn't want that. So I felt safer buying a new one.

The Akai is definitely my weakest link. The Furman is now also protecting my HD TV and I have a smoking fast PC that I will run through it also.

A variac? Makes me wonder if a massive variac is more stable than a conditioner.
Not a variac. A isolation transformer is a large transformer and works via induction like any other transformer. The idea is the nasties don't get transferred in the secondary windings. They make 4 and six outlet models similar to the one image I have included.
tp-91092-12_1_lg.jpg

i got one from a medical place that closed....they have em in every treatment room if the building was not wire for it. $10 will get you your own generally at the auction.

heh heh, since the feds are closing down 'urgent cares'-ish type places all over the USA for opiod script abuse, lots of auctions going up!

I would think one of those would be worth at least ten bucks as scrap! But I'd buy em all day at that price. We had one in a lab I worked at in grad school years ago, it was the size of a breadbox, must have been 20-30A. I wonder what every became of that beast.

Yes I did. There are 3 electrical circuits that I can access and I tried every combination I could think of. The house is only 22 years old but it is cheaply built.

I am hoping to move to some larger digs but the pickings are very slim here in Vancouver. My options are to move closer to the area I primarily work in and that would almost double my rent or move back out to the valley but that would result in a 2+ hour daily commute. The vacancy rate here is about 0.06 percent.
For two years my computer homepage has been a filtered Craigslist rentals search result.

Yeah. Along with everything else wrong with Canada, rent is probably one of the worst. It is a dire situation only getting worse and worse with Asian investors accumulating more and more of the property and landscape.

Yeah. Along with everything else wrong with Canada, rent is probably one of the worst. It is a dire situation only getting worse and worse with Asian investors accumulating more and more of the property and landscape.

A quote from an article in yesterday's Guardian about Vancouver: About 4.6% or 8,481 homes in the western Canadian city stood empty or underutilised for more than 180 days in 2017, according to declarations submitted to the municipality by 98.85% of homeowners.

Back
Top Bottom