Let’s see those table lamps - vintage or modern

My wife and I were at a thrift the other day, and on one of the knick-knack shelves was a tacky doodad made of green Italian onyx. I looked at the bottom and saw that the whole thing was held together by a standard lamp rod. I knew I could make it into a lamp. I took it apart, flipped the tear-drop shaped part over for better balance, put the metal doo-hickies on top of that, and topped it with a nickel-plated medium base socket. I wired it with plenum wire, because I have a lot of it, soldered it to the contacts in the socket (no room for screws), and terminated it with a "Sta Tite" hard rubber, very vintage plug. Lastly, I super-glued it to an old ashtray made of the same green onyx, routing the cord out by way of the cutout made to hold a cigarette.P1010131.JPG P1010133.JPG P1010134.JPG P1010136.JPG P1010135.JPG

Picked up one exactly like this at Goodwill today (photos lifted from Etsy listing):

il_570xN.419564048_k9r6.jpg

It's an orange Heyco atomic age dual gooseneck bullet lamp. I had to look hard to find it, but the Heyco name is stamped in the small white plastic grommet around the cord opening in the base. Very heavy, and well made - like most everything made back then, before the days of planned obsolescence. The chrome plated goosenecks still shine like new, with no signs of corrosion. They still hold the lamps firmly in place, with no sagging.

Mine is missing one of the little 8-sided plastic on/off knobs - like the one shown in the far left of this photo:

il_570xN.419571309_1whm.jpg

The 8-sided plastic knob just screws on to the threaded brass shaft of the on/off rotary switch. Anyone know a source for a replacement?

I finally managed to find another knob to replace the one that was missing when I bought this last fall:

Boston.jpg

Last edited:
Here's an early 20th century Chicago street lamp we use on a corner table in the LR, illuminated by a 10 watt bulb.

My wife dragged it out of an alley about 20 years ago, just moments before a scapper was going to grab it.

Battered, but beautiful. Measures about 30 inches to the tip of the point.

28372845258_bbde36860a_k.jpg

I’ve posted a pic of this inside a longer post in the MCM thread, but it fits here too.

This is the most recent lamp I’ve got (tho another is in the way from Hungary).

It was originally a lucite and chrome pendant, but I had an idea when I bought it to turn it upside down, mount it on a base, and use it as a desk lamp.

DC6FFF40-3228-4212-BF0B-27E4D9FB3F2B.jpeg

A21C4334-D603-497E-ADDD-273EC9634CE7.jpeg

94855FF9-6D34-4403-8A24-3D9B1F548C14.jpeg

The cheapest lamp I could find on amazon served as the base/cord/switch/socket. Took about 1/2 an hour to creatively assemble. Once this other lamp gets here, this lamp will be used as an accent lamp. It’s awesome, and it turned out way better than expected, but it’s not a great height for a desk lamp.

The other lamp that’s on its way is an old Napako 521, designed by Josef Hurka (same guy that gave us those popular ‘mushroom lamps’).

EAC5FF32-26EA-43DC-8462-87762B21C89C.png

Got it pretty cheap because as you can see, it’s in kinda rough shape (including needing the switch replaced) but I’m sure it’ll clean up nice, and I’ve already got its replacement switch here.

Haven’t decided if I’m going to leave it as is, or commit the sin of disassembling it, stripping down the shade and foot, and repainting them. All the metal is in good shape, no bends or dents or anything, so it would be a pretty easy refinish, but I don’t know yet.

Last known location, USPS ISC, in NY about 2 weeks ago. Should be arriving any time now I hope.

I’ve posted a pic of this inside a longer post in the MCM thread, but it fits here too.

This is the most recent lamp I’ve got (tho another is in the way from Hungary).

It was originally a lucite and chrome pendant, but I had an idea when I bought it to turn it upside down, mount it on a base, and use it as a desk lamp.

View attachment 1347605

View attachment 1347606

View attachment 1347604

The cheapest lamp I could find on amazon served as the base/cord/switch/socket. Took about 1/2 an hour to creatively assemble. Once this other lamp gets here, this lamp will be used as an accent lamp. It’s awesome, and it turned out way better than expected, but it’s not a great height for a desk lamp.

That's the "Symfoni" (also known as the "Priest's Collar") pendant Claus Bolby designed for Cebo.
https://www.danishvintage.design/designers/claus-bolby/

That's the "Symfoni" (also known as the "Priest's Collar") pendant Claus Bolby designed for Cebo.
https://www.danishvintage.design/designers/claus-bolby/

Wow! Thank you for that info :) Google image searching that name produces a whole bunch of different chrome/lucite lamps with similar characteristics - some great colors too! Apparently they’re all handmade.

I see one photo that looks exactly like the one I have, but it’s a cluster of pendants. I wonder if mine has strayed from its pack over the years.

Both the small and large Symfoni lamps were sold as single pendants. BTW, according to a lamp collector I know, the Shah of Iran bought 100 of the larger diameter red ones for one of his palaces back in the days. Your version might actually be quite rare, as he have every color except white.

Back
Top Bottom