Ranking EMIT's

Very interesting history and spec differences. People seem to have very strong opinions regarding the K vs the R. I have a pair of QE's and really like the Emit they've got so I'm interested in upgrading to Kappas. Is there a sonic difference between the K and R emits?

What is the Emit used in RSii called?
emit10.jpg

Basically it's a regular EMIT with a rectangular face plate.
I believe there are variations in screw hole placement, and possible font, among those rectangular face plate EMITs.

I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi All,

Could I use an Emit-R as replacement to my regular Emits in my 8Kappas? What changes would I need to make?

Thanks!
-brett

I don't know, but my question is why would you want to downgrade from a true ribbon/planar emit to a glorified Ti dome tweeter?

The EMIT-R is hardly a glorified dome tweeter, and the regular EMIT is not a true ribbon. They are both planars, the difference is that the standard EMIT is a push-pull design while the EMIT-R has magnets only on the rear (a design also used by Magnepan in some models). It's worth noting that Genesis Advanced Technologies is still using a tweeter similar to the EMIT-R after 27 years.

Having said that, standard EMITs are readily available on the used market at fairly reasonable prices, so I don't see any reason to replace with an EMIT-R (the one advantage of the EMIT-R that I'm aware of is that its dispersion is the same in both the horizontal and vertical axes, although that really shouldn't matter on a Kappa 8). I'm pretty sure the EMIT-R has a smaller face plate, and the impedance is probably different as well, so any changes you'd need to make would probably cost more and require a lot more effort than simply obtaining the correct tweeter.

Last edited:
Neat idea, for me it would be the, R, K and undecided on the H. If the H tickles me then ranking would change to H, R, then K. These are for what I've heard to date.

part number 49-0125 there are other part numbers as well!

Yes, that is a part number. Same as in my RS II's.
But regarding EMITs there are round ones, rectangular ones, bold font, thin font, slanted font among others. And k's. And r's.
The ones drugolf asked about would be rectangular straight bold font I believe.
For purists looking to obtain replacements those differences might matter.

the planar/ribbon-style emits had a horizontal dispersion of 30º and a vertical dispersion of 18º (according to Arnie, earliest versions only 12º vertical). this accounts for why they were frequently seen stacked in the flagship models, and why the provision was made so they could be rotated in the single emit models, in the event the cabinets were laid on their side. infinity literature skirted around this by claiming "nearly perfect horizontal dispersion" but not mentioning vertical..

I was under the impression that the limited vertical dispersion was a design feature intended to limit reflections off the floor and ceiling.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that the limited vertical dispersion was an intentional design feature intended to limit reflections off the floor and ceiling.
X2
The emit r is a fine tweeter but I’d just use them in the speakers they are intended to be in. If you have a pair laying around and they fit with no modification of the cabinet try it. Otherwise just look for another emit k.

I notice in the slotted emits the ribbons and slots are taller in some models than others . Is there a reason for that based on each speaker design ? . Do the taller ones throw a "taller" image ? Im thinking of how they stacked them up in some models .. Line source .etc . Are the Emit Rs "Point Source " and slotted emits "Line source" ?

Some versions of the Infinity RS-4000 used a shorter version of the EMIT that's similar to the SEMIT used in the Kappa 9 and IRS Beta (I don't know if the shorter EMIT came before or after the standard EMIT in the RS-4000 - this is the only model that used this specific tweeter, AFAIK). Also there was a taller EMIT used in some of the higher end Quantum models, usually as part of a line source. This latter type of EMIT wasn't used in any later speakers.

there are emits , like 49-0125 but have a thicker magnet.
490125 is the rectangular EMIT with the thick magnet structure. 490126 is the same except for a round faceplate. Later versions of 490125 were labled 902-5086. Later versions of 490126 were labled 902-5023.

490123 is the rectangular EMIT with the thin magnet structure. As above, 490124 is the thin magnet structure with a round faceplate. Later versions of 490123 were labeled 902-2252. Later versions of 490124 were labeled 902-3082.

They all use the same diaphragm.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom