Vintage film cameras

My Canon collection includes the AE-1 (black body), F-1, FTb, AE-1 Program, and the A-1 (anyone here remember "hexaphotocybernetic"?). I also have an EOS-1n and LOVED that camera, having bought it when I was sure damned digital was still years away from replacing 35mm film at the time and I'd just discovered Fuji Velvia. No prizes for guessing how wrong I was there.
Two years ago I found a Zip-Loc bag full of exposed film I'd shot at races and airshows years before. The local camera shop charged a ridiculous premium for developing each of these rolls. According to them there was only one lab left still processing 35mm color film these days. Not sure if that's true. Hoping it's not. Digital is quicker, cheaper, more convenient . . . but there was still something about real film....

HUH?!!

Walmart and RiteAid develop and process film.

I still have a local minilab, MotoPhoto, in Paramus NJ. They do a great job. I pay $5 for color processing and do my own scanning.

My Canon collection includes the AE-1 (black body), F-1, FTb, AE-1 Program, and the A-1 (anyone here remember "hexaphotocybernetic"?). I also have an EOS-1n and LOVED that camera, having bought it when I was sure damned digital was still years away from replacing 35mm film at the time and I'd just discovered Fuji Velvia. No prizes for guessing how wrong I was there.
Two years ago I found a Zip-Loc bag full of exposed film I'd shot at races and airshows years before. The local camera shop charged a ridiculous premium for developing each of these rolls. According to them there was only one lab left still processing 35mm color film these days. Not sure if that's true. Hoping it's not. Digital is quicker, cheaper, more convenient . . . but there was still something about real film....

Depending on how long ago it was when you talked to the lab, they may have been talking about Ektachrome slide film. There was only one place in the country doing it until they ran out of chemicals but that was several years ago (early 2010's I think)

Depending on how long ago it was when you talked to the lab, they may have been talking about Ektachrome slide film. There was only one place in the country doing it until they ran out of chemicals but that was several years ago (early 2010's I think)
You mean Kodachrome. Ektachrome film was discontinued, but not the processing, which is essentially the same as Fuji slide film processing; also, Kodak is talking about bringing Ektachrome back.

You mean Kodachrome. Ektachrome film was discontinued, but not the processing, which is essentially the same as Fuji slide film processing; also, Kodak is talking about bringing Ektachrome back.

You're right. Been awhile since I've shot any slide film.

HUH?!!

Walmart and RiteAid develop and process film.

I still have a local minilab, MotoPhoto, in Paramus NJ. They do a great job. I pay $5 for color processing and do my own scanning.

The bummer is that Wal-Mart and Rite-Aid no longer return your negatives.

How about DIY C-41? Anyone who has processed B&W film at home can also do C-41. I use the Cinestill Cs41 kit but there are others available from Adorama, B&H, Freestyle, etc.

35539351634_bd20a7d5c5_c.jpg

Samples:
37275703120_a293cf99f9_c.jpg

Rollei 35/Kodak Gold 200

37979344491_e298cf63ee_c.jpg

Leica M6 + 35 'cron/Kodak Gold 200

37582455950_23553e5a9e_c.jpg

Leica M6 + 35 cron/Kodak Portra 160

Good light!:)

Hummm, pretty sure Kodachrome was discontinued in 2009. Kodak just re-released Ektachrome, coming soon in 2018. I might get me some and fire up the ol' Pentax Spotmatic F.

"In 2018, the new stock was revealed at the 2018 Consumer Electronics Show as Ektachrome 100D, and given a new product number of 7294. As expected, the Super-8 version was on display. No release date has been set, but Kodak expects to have the film in stores during the first quarter of 2018." [1]

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ektachrome

Yes. The last Kodachrome processing was done at Dwayne's in Kansas in December 2010.
I've two of their T shirts commemorating that event..but you CAN still shoot old Kodachrome as B/W. The film itself was B/W with dyes added during processing. It's a fair bit of work but people do it.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I love this forum, just for the pure pleasure of what I see that can be captured with a camera. Me, I could not take a good shot even if Ansel Adams setup the shot and all I had to do was push the shutter button. I'd screw it up somehow.

The reason for this post comes about by a discovery I made while going through my hoard of misc. items I have in the cave. I came across a box that said Univex on it. I'm sure I picked it up during one of my Garage\Yard sale adventures looking for audio gear. The box contains a Univex AF-2 camera with its pocket pouch, two rolls of Ultrachrome #00, and its original paper work. Cosmetic wise it looks like it has never been used. I think I will take it out of the box and display it, maybe right beside the Slinky's and Magic 8 ball.

Just wanted to share, that is all.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I love this forum, just for the pure pleasure of what I see that can be captured with a camera. Me, I could not take a good shot even if Ansel Adams setup the shot and all I had to do was push the shutter button. I'd screw it up somehow.

The reason for this post comes about by a discovery I made while going through my hoard of misc. items I have in the cave. I came across a box that said Univex on it. I'm sure I picked it up during one of my Garage\Yard sale adventures looking for audio gear. The box contains a Univex AF-2 camera with its pocket pouch, two rolls of Ultrachrome #00, and its original paper work. Cosmetic wise it looks like it has never been used. I think I will take it out of the box and display it, maybe right beside the Slinky's and Magic 8 ball.

Just wanted to share, that is all.
cool little camera

FBCAE9A4-4F05-4DC2-9EB1-736C2661D267.jpeg E07AC04F-680C-4B73-88AF-43B75558AB21.jpeg

Here is my Zeiss Super Ikonta 532/16, it uses 120 film, for 11 exposures per roll. It’s a very nice camera to use and produces very nice photos when closed down a stop or two. These were produced from the mid 1930s thru 50s, this is a later model.

Back
Top Bottom