Dropped $850 bucks on a power conditioner and nothing improved.

My son in law was a electronics tech for the Navy, he now works for a company in Norfolk that updates USN ships. We talk shop once in a while in general as most of what he knows is classified. It seems though when on duty while traveling all over he straightened out many a church sound system where he was a member.

My son in law was a electronics tech for the Navy, he now works for a company in Norfolk that updates USN ships. We talk shop once in a while in general as most of what he knows is classified. It seems though when on duty while traveling all over he straightened out many a church sound system where he was a member.

There is a lot of use around here lol. I have been mostly been doing GTG controls since I retired 10years ago. Just got back from Scotland for a boat repair.

I have on demand hot water also..and have no problems like that..my eletric services is newer...heater should be on its own breaker..also should be large enough amp breaker

I'm surprised nobody has pointed out the obvious.

To do power conditioning right, one must first power shampoo.

Lather, rinse, repeat...

Back to the thread though. An earlier comment about MOVs and age is partly true. MOVs do degrade when they are exposed to surges, not in ordinary use. Until they start to see voltage close to their rated breakdown voltage, they are just benignly sitting across the power rails.

I have heard that if a neighbor is electric welding or using heavy workshop equipment this can induce some kind of interference to your house electrical.

4.6% empty
By choice.
New houses are bought and sit unused until someone pays 2 million for a 200k house.

Then it gets silly.
The new house will be demolished and a new custom built one will go up.

Happens all the time.

I have heard that if a neighbor is electric welding or using heavy workshop equipment this can induce some kind of interference to your house electrical.

You heard correct, if the neighbor/s share the drop transformer with you, as generally 2 to 4 house`s grouped close by are connected together at the output of the pole mounted or ground placed transformer..
I`ve seen some pretty Gnarly looking noise on my 240 volt drop in the past, via a scope, and RTA.
But, after going through my main system`s Furman 20 amp P 2400 AVR and 20 amp power sequencer, all power is clean and well protected now..

OKB

Here is one solution: I had a major voltage variation issue because my setup in the bush relies on generator power and the turntables responded to the fluctuations by changing the motor speed and therefore the pitch of the sound.

Having looked at several options and getting a stupid quote for a mains regenerator - would you believe over $3k? A regenerator is NOT the same thing as a "power conditioner" that will not do what you want it to do.The former rectifies AC to DC,then back to AC

The solution was actually very simple. Both the house and the (separate) office are wired for 12V DC as well as mains. Deep cycle batteries are kept charged by the generator and simple battery chargers whenever the generator is on. If you do not have 12V pre-wired, no problem. Put the battery and charger outside where it can gas without doing harm and run a cable to the inverter with an extension cord

At each location, a pure sign wave inverter costing just $A80 plugs into the 12V circuit, then the turntable draws pure 230V AC power from the inverter. NO MORE POWER FLUCTUATIONS!

Here is one solution: I had a major voltage variation issue because my setup in the bush relies on generator power and the turntables responded to the fluctuations by changing the motor speed and therefore the pitch of the sound.

Having looked at several options and getting a stupid quote for a mains regenerator - would you believe over $3k? A regenerator is NOT the same thing as a "power conditioner" that will not do what you want it to do.The former rectifies AC to DC,then back to AC

The solution was actually very simple. Both the house and the (separate) office are wired for 12V DC as well as mains. Deep cycle batteries are kept charged by the generator and simple battery chargers whenever the generator is on. If you do not have 12V pre-wired, no problem. Put the battery and charger outside where it can gas without doing harm and run a cable to the inverter with an extension cord

At each location, a pure sign wave inverter costing just $A80 plugs into the 12V circuit, then the turntable draws pure 230V AC power from the inverter. NO MORE POWER FLUCTUATIONS!

HA !! ONLY a bit ,over $ 3,000.00, boy are`t you lucky !!
That`s pretty cheap(@ $ 80.00 for a "true pure sine wave inverter of any usable rating !!
What it`s "claimed VA rating""
250 VA stepped sine wave maybe ??

Watch out, there`s scammers out there !!
Just being cautionary

No it is NOT modified square wave. It is guaranteed pure sign wave. The $80 was for a Chinese made 1000 watt pure sign wave inverter and you can even get them for a bit less on Ebay. US prices should be no more - probably less that Australian prices.

You need to do the math - if you are only powering a turntable. then 1000 w is overkill and 300 w would probably do the job. If you want to power the amp or anything else from the same inverter check the rated power consumption of each component and add them together. Add at least 10% for the inverter itself.

Even with a deep cycle battery and charger, I can't see you paying more than $400 for the lot and you should be able to sell the "conditioner" for that or more

Hope this helps

With an inverter setup like that you can get regulated voltage and pretty stable frequency. But, that doesn't necessarily mean it is cleaner power than the AC mains. The typical inverter is basically a switching power supply. With inexpensive models I would be concerned the resulting regenerated power might actually have no better, possibly worse, THD, noise, etc., than the mains.

"Audiophile" regenerators are usually more like an analog amplifier that outputs (for example USA) 120V, 60Hz at low distortion rather than a SMPS doing the boost conversion.

Here's a picture I previously posted of an experiment I did with a home brew "double conversion" power system. The problem with this is at just 12V (since the inverter is intended for mobile use) the current demand is copious for 1000W of output. 100A give or take, necessary at the input for full capacity.

index.php

Last edited:
I do not pretend to have much technical expertise on this matter but I can absolutely assure you that it works.

Mains AC power is notoriously dirty and unstable. worse in some areas/countries than others and per one previous example on this thread, if someone turns on a serious load nearby, goodbye to any voltage stability on the same grid. The regenerated power from the inverter - in this case 240V AC has effectively been buffered in much the same way as a far more expensive "power regenerator" not to the same high standard but perfectly adequate for non-critical applications

I have separate AC (and 12 v DC) wiring systems in the house and the office but both are driven by the same generator. Before installing the inverters, the voltage fluctuations made listening unacceptable due to pitch variations.Now there is NO noticable variation or any noise other than the fan on one of these units.

I do not understand your concern. This setup cannot and does not cause any potential harm to the audio system. The turntables just plug in as they would to any mains power supply and are less prone to ant damage than from unstable mains

@alanl

I have no concern for damage to the gear, I just don't believe the power from any given inverter is necessarily cleaner than the AC mains. Perhaps it is in you case but that does not mean it is in all cases and maybe not even in many or most cases.

Back
Top Bottom