McIntosh MT2 Turntable

It appears no illuminated platter has been officially confirmed.

Anyone know the price?

so, from what I understand, this was originally supposed to be priced at $2500, clearly it isn't now. And it's actually a ClearAudio "Concept" based table - which you can get for a lot less money from ClearAudio.

You guys all realize a SL 1200G will have lower wow and flutter and about the same in rumble. And you get to pick what ever cartridge you want. I prefer the more advanced shapes over the regular elliptical. Fine Line, Micro line, Shabita, Van den Hul all have less groove noise than an elliptical. They also seem to be less surface noise when playing pre-owned discs.

If you are going to spend that kind of money why not choose the cartridge you prefer. Plus the Prime has that special arm if you want to stick with belt drive. So many choices to make. Clear audio has a special reputation, so if you choose the MT2 I can't fault you. I still look at LP's as a compromised format. But if you want to make the sound the best it can be a MT2 should be a great place to start.

Sometimes you can snag an open-box Prime Signature for $4k... :)

I really like the look of the MT2. Would look nice next to a bunch of other Mac gear.

I would 100% bypass the MT-2 and go for the MT-5. I've had nothing but hours and hours of wonderous sound from my MT-5 equipped with a ClearAudio Talismann 2 Gold cartridge (the same cartridge as on the MT-10). Perfect tracking, no sibilance.... For another $500, you get the cool looking translucent platter, 78 RPM, a superior tonearm, and pitch control (although it's hard to access on the MT-5)....

Last edited:
I'm thinking I'd also bypass the MT-2 and go for the 5 or better yet the 10. The 2's price increase, the lack of the translucent platter and wondering how much better the next models are would be my deciding factors. Hopefully I have that decision to make someday.

I would 100% bypass the MT-2 and go for the MT-5. I've had nothing but hours and hours of wonderous sound from my MT-5 equipped with a ClearAudio Talismann 2 Gold cartridge (the same cartridge as on the MT-10. Perfect tracking, no sibilance.... For another $500, you get the cool looking translucent platter, 78 RPM, a superior tonearm, and pitch control (although it's hard to access on the MT-5)....
He already had an MT-5 and is returning it.

I love my Mac gear as much as anyone, but I am less excited about their turntable and speaker efforts. There are probably going to be some sales here due to brand loyalty if nothing else. I wish them the best, but for this coin I'd be searching for a nice MCD500/550 to increase the Mac quotient here.

jblnut

Back
Top Bottom