CD's in the Car

Still play CD's in the Car

• Sure do

• Not anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.

Condorsat

Audio Enthusiast
The last year I played actual CD's (not rips) in the Car was 2012. Started using
an Ipod Classic (AAC CD rips) into head unit that year. It's been in that car (still own) since then.

Last edited:
I think I've listened to a CD three times in the last four years in the car. I can't even remember what disc is in there.

My newest car has a six-disc changer in the trunk and a single-disc player in-dash. I play CDs in the car all the time. I have several 160GB iPod Classics but no convenient way to connect them to the older BMWs without a lot of messy add-ons. There are very few tracks on my iPod where I don't also own the original CD.

I do, I'm very old school I guess. But does sound better than IPod USB. My wife thinks I'm nuts, Lol!

Still have a 6 disc changer in the dash of my first gen Highlander, which does get used. Only other way to play digital is to hook up a phone or DAP to a cassette adapter.

I have a single loading CD head unit in my daily driver, as well as a usb drive for music on a flash drive. I listen to the flash drive most times, and sometimes I'll listen to cds in the head unit. The wav files on my flash drive come amazingly close to CDs in terms of dynamic range and sound quality. Some files sound quite good. I still give the edge to CDs in overall sound quality and range, but the wav files are amazingly close to CDs.

Gees! I reckon I still live in the stone age, I have a Pioneer (who'd a guessed that?) can't recall the model right now but, I believe it was the last flip face model that you could play cassettes in
and I have a Pioneer 6 disk (wish I had gotten the 12 now) changer with 6 Pioneer speakers and a Alpine power amp MRV-T302 that I had in my last P/U.
Now I have an Alpine CDA-9815 (came with it) in my new (new to me) P/U and am questioning myself whether I should put the Alpine power amp and Pioneer CD changer in with it or yank the Alpine out and shove the Pioneer Flip Face, CD changer and speakers with the Alpine amp in. So to answer the question yes I play CD's in my vehicle and I don't have a cell phone (nor want one) and 1/2 my phones have dials. You know, the chrome finger wheels you stick your digit in and spin. :)

In 2010 I purchased a Ford Focus SE which came with CD player AND a USB port. I never have played a CD in the car...not even once!
But I have hundreds of albums on a tiny little flash media and it's all I need.

Sure I do.
One of the options I looked into when purchasing my truck.
Could not believe just how hard it was finding one.

Barney

Very rarely. On trips I plug in a Zune, local driving time is spent listening to traffic reports. It is like a minefield around here with all the accidents halting traffic.

I listen to Sirius most of the time in the car, on the motorbike I record CD'S from computer onto a flash drive & plug in.

Another interesting side-bar to the original question is how many new cars even come with CD players anymore?

I sell BMWs and they all come with single-disc CD/DVD/MP3 players and USB. Most with built-in navigation also offer a 20GB hard-drive space into which you can load tracks from a USB drive, or compress a CD while you listen to it. Many recent domestic cars we've take in-trade have no CD player and no option from the manufacturer to add one.

Another interesting side-bar to the original question is how many new cars even come with CD players anymore?

I sell BMWs and they all come with single-disc CD/DVD/MP3 players and USB. Most wit7h built-in navigation also offer a 20GB hard-drive space into which you can load tracks from a USB drive, or compress a CD while you listen to it. Many recent domestic cars we've take in-trade have no CD player and no option from the manufacturer to add one.

I have a 2017 Honda CRV and didn't know until I was buying it that a CD player is not available even as an option. Backup camera is built into the radio, so not doing aftermarket. No smart phone to link, don't want to mess with usb, and not very many good radio stations around here. :thumbsdown:

don't want to mess with usb
Are you saying you would mess with CDs? A USB stick is easier than CDs. Plus you can just not rip the songs you don't particularly care for instead of having to hit the skip button.
Ripping a CD to the stick is about as much effort as finding the CD, swapping it with the current disc, and putting the old one away. Except you only need to do it once.

Are all usb ports the same? :dunno:
I listen to all the songs on my CDs, I used to have one in the car and would change it out to what I wanted next.
I can't see having 400 usb sticks. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom