Hey! Ever wonder why there's no SONY forum?

No Denon, Nakamichi or Chi-Fi section either . Hey, can't have everything. I imagine a Chi-Fi sub forum might even be quite active.

Agree that Sony made some great gear, though they seemed to peak in the 90's and drop off after that.
They've got some current stuff that's pretty damned impressive, spendy though. :D

They've got some current stuff that's pretty damned impressive, spendy though. :D

Yeah, true of many brands towards the top end of the range though.... I think there's better value to be had in separates where current production gear is concerned. I'm a cheapskate at heart, though I'll spend the money if there are large improvements to be had.... Like my recent Gieseler Groß DAC acquisition. My single most expensive purchase and worth every cent ;)

I was just reading up on the origin of color television. Sony's Chromatron and follow up Trinitron were true advances on the state of the art. Even today, large broadcast CRT monitors fetch good money with the gamers. Even the little 9 inch kitchen sets sell for surprising coin. I just said goodbye to my CGS-50 Super Betamax deck. What a beautiful picture. I already regret it but I can't keep everything.

Had a kick outta Samsung vs LG in their war of TV's while Sony was quietly preparing to have its own party until the time was right. Made the other parties sit up and take notice when they hit the scene with the new models.

This company always seemed to do the quality thing in the past while others started to cut corners.

Q

Last edited:
Good point. some of their higher end gear is good.

And I have yet to hear ANYTHING better than a Sony VFET.

In the 70s I used to swear by Sony, now I swear at Sony. They jumped the shark in the 80s with planned obsolescence on most of their equipment.

Fine enough products to merit stand-alone status @ a television forum I'll reckon.

Wasn't thinking TV forumed...but a place for Sony would make a great fit in the "manufacturers brand". And ya, the TV route could also be thought about.

Change is a part of life...if it's a good one.

Q

Sony HiFi product in the 70s, 80s and into the 90s was better engineered than Pioneer, Sansui, Yamaha or Matsushita. The detail, care and theory that is evident once you spend a lot of time reverse engineering and studying their designs is obvious.

It's not surprising though, they had the absolute best audio engineers in Japan. Name me one single audio engineer of note from any of the above companies, responsible for anything other than copying what Sony had already produced.

There is always the "Show us your Sony" thread. Threads can always be started in relation to a particular product and discussed.

I see no real need to have manufacturer's forums for every major brand- it'd be an absolute nightmare.

The more forums there are the harder it is to add one. Sony is much more "worthy" than some others we've adopted here but that's life. I think Sony forum has a snowball's in hell kinda chance of taking off!

I have yet to read a compelling reason why there is not one, given some of the other smaller forums clearly listed here.
In the old days, you could always see the numbers in a forum at any given time; some were regular ghost towns - yet here they still are.
It smacks a bit of snobbery, when members bring up Yorx.
How many people here own Mac compared to those that own Sony, yet Mac rates its own forum.
Prevailing "attitude" seems to be Sony is not worthy of a forum.

Back
Top Bottom