Idiot needs EQ help...

Snappahead

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm hoping someone can help me figure out connecting my EQ to my system. My apologies in advance for being an idiot about this subject but here goes. I'd like to hook up my ADC 315 to a system but my processor MX 132 does not have tape monitor. I do have 2 tape inputs but that route didn't work. From what I've learned the preamp has to have tape monitor, since mine does not, do I have any other options? Thanks in advance.

Is it a Mcintosh MX132? If so, looking at an image of the back, it looks like it has 2 tape loops, 1 and 2. It just has the outputs in a different spot.
You would connect the tape OUT from the mx132 to the line IN on the ADC, then line OUT on the ADC to tape IN on the mx132.
Then you could select tape 1 (or 2 if you used that) on the mx132, and that should bring the equalizer online. I'm not sure how that is done on that unit, but I'm sure the manual will explain it.

How its connected depends on how you want to use it. If it is of adequate quality and you are just interested in tweaking the sound just connect it between the pre amp and the L&R channels power amp. Most EQ's have a bypass switch if you want to take it out of the circuit while in the calibrated HT modes.

Another choice is to use the Zone B out put to feed the EQ and then any of the remaining stereo line inputs as the the monitor in the Zone A mode. . This will work for analog inputs only, however, as your digital sources don't feed Zone B , but check your manual for confirmation. . Your Zone B input selector chooses the source feeding the EQ The selected Zone A input will be the monitor position. You will have to call Mcintosh to find where to set the volume control while in the Zone B mode. On my MX 119 and MX 120 the level is 69 on the front display. I now use a separate stereo pre-amp so have no clue what the setting would be for my MX150/151. If you can mute the input for the EQ input on Zone B to prevent instant internal feedback and oscillation of the EQ feeding itself, do so. . Causing possible amplifier distress and avoiding damage to loud speakers.

Last edited:
How its connected depends on how you want to use it. If it is of adequate quality and you are just interested in tweaking the sound just connect it between the pre amp and the L&R channels power amp. Most EQ's have a bypass switch if you want to take it out of the circuit while in the calibrated HT modes.

Another choice is to use the Zone B out put to feed the EQ and then any of the remaining stereo line inputs as the the monitor in the Zone A mode. . This will work for analog inputs only, however, as your digital sources don't feed Zone B , but check your manual for confirmation. . Your Zone B input selector chooses the source feeding the EQ The selected Zone A input will be the monitor position. You will have to call Mcintosh to find where to set the volume control while in the Zone B mode. On my MX 119 and MX 120 the level is 69 on the front display. I now use a separate stereo pre-amp so have no clue what the setting would be for my MX150/151. If you can mute the input for the EQ input on Zone B to prevent instant internal feedback and oscillation of the EQ feeding itself, do so. . Causing possible amplifier distress and avoiding damage to loud speakers.

I wasn't sure if I could connect it "in line" between the amps and preamps. I'm assuming that everything would be able to be tweaked by the EQ? And BTW, yes, I only want the ability to moderately adjust the sound. Thank you.

Is it a Mcintosh MX132? If so, looking at an image of the back, it looks like it has 2 tape loops, 1 and 2. It just has the outputs in a different spot.
You would connect the tape OUT from the mx132 to the line IN on the ADC, then line OUT on the ADC to tape IN on the mx132.
Then you could select tape 1 (or 2 if you used that) on the mx132, and that should bring the equalizer online. I'm not sure how that is done on that unit, but I'm sure the manual will explain it.

I tried that. The issue is choosing Tape 1 or 2 it becomes the source.

I just glanced at the manual online. Man, that thing is pretty complicated! I think it explains it on page 35 under how to record.

I tried page 35, no luck. Yes complicated ain't the word. Especially with 5 amps and sources, etc. LOL

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out connecting my EQ to my system. My apologies in advance for being an idiot about this subject but here goes. I'd like to hook up my ADC 315 to a system but my processor MX 132 does not have tape monitor. I do have 2 tape inputs but that route didn't work. From what I've learned the preamp has to have tape monitor, since mine does not, do I have any other options? Thanks in advance.

Yes, buy another preamplifier which does.

I wasn't sure if I could connect it "in line" between the amps and preamps. I'm assuming that everything would be able to be tweaked by the EQ? And BTW, yes, I only want the ability to moderately adjust the sound. Thank you.

Yes, you CAN connect it between preamp and amp/s, but EQ sparingly.
And, knock the attenuators down a bit if you are doing mostly boosting of frequencies.

Avoid THIS guy's EQ curve like the plague:

A rule of thumb: EQ's are best utilized in the "cut" position than the "add" position. Adding increases the drain on the power amp. If you boost a range by ten db, or twice the apparent loudness, you increase the power draw on your amp ten fold. That can quickly suck many amps dry.

A brief explanation of the difference between connecting an EQ in the tape monitor loop and the between the pre-amp and main amp stage.

First, all EQ's generate noise. Period. End of discusson.

The tape monitor is before the volume control. Since the volume control, by nature, is an attenuator, any noise generated by an EQ is attenuated before going through any amplifier stages. So, unless you run your pre-amp at full volume, going through a tape monitor loop minimizes any noise generated by your equalizer.

If you go between the pre-amp and main amp stages, any noise generated by the EQ is fed directly to the power amp at full strength and it's full impact can be heard on the final result.

By using the tape loop you bury the EQ's noise floor below or close to the noise floor of the entire system.. By going between the pre-amp and main amp you get all the noise generated by the EQ.

Given the option, I'd go via the tape loop method but sometimes you don't have a choice,

Last edited:
A rule of thumb: EQ's are best utilized in the "cut" position than the "add" position. Adding increases the drain on the power amp. If you boost a range by ten db, or twice the apparent loudness, you increase the power draw on your amp ten fold. That can quickly suck many amps dry.

A brief explanation of the difference between connecting an EQ in the tape monitor loop and the between the pre-amp and main amp stage.

The tape monitor is before the volume control. Since the volume control, by nature, is an attenuator, any noise generated by an EQ is attenuated before going through any amplifier stages. So, unless you run your pre-amp at full volume, going through a tape monitor loop minimizes any noise generated by your equalizer.

If you go between the pre-amp and main amp stages, any noise generated by the EQ is fed directly to the power amp at full strength and it's full impact can be heard on the final result.

By using the tape loop you bury the EQ's noise floor below or close to the noise floor of the entire system.. By going between the pre-amp and main amp you get all the noise generated by the EQ.

Given the option, I'd go via the tape loop method but sometimes you don't have a choice,

I don't think I have an option. I'm not really looking to make drastic changes, just tweak the system a bit. Mainly add base. I'm planning on adding more power because I think my speakers need it, in the meantime the EQ is something I want to explore. Thanks for your detailed response, appreciated.

It would be informative were you to tell us exactly what speakers you're using.

The system is comprised of a Mac MX132 Processor, Mac 2105 and 2100 amps, two pairs of Mac XR 5 speakers. It's an older HT processor and it does get used for TV viewing but 2 channel is the main use. The plan is to upgrade the 2105 / 2100 to 2205's. I spoke with Ryan over at AC's and that's his recommendation. The issue is, he doesn't have any good 2205's in stock. The EQ idea was simple. I have one sitting on a shelf, so why not give it a try? Thanks.

Do you have the MQ-101 or 102?

From the Roger Russell web site.

Requires the MQ101 or MQ102 equalizer for flat low frequency response.

It seems to me that if you had one of those you wouldn't need and/or want an add on equalizer for increasing bass.

Do you have the MQ-101 or 102?

From the Roger Russell web site.

Requires the MQ101 or MQ102 equalizer for flat low frequency response.

It seems to me that if you had one of those you wouldn't need and/or want an add on equalizer for increasing bass.

Yes, I have 2 MQ101's- at the moment both are being serviced.

This thread is really helpful as I can easily match any idiocy when it comes to EQs. I believe we were separated at birth. I just acquired an entire SAE rack system P101pre/ A501 power amp /T101 tuner and E101 parametric equalizer. Connections are one thing... then there’s the incredible versatility and complexity of the eq....

Back
Top Bottom