Hey! Ever wonder why there's no SONY forum?

Sony can be legitimately considered both an audio pioneer and giant.

I've been mystified as to no Sony Forum.

Hit random (love wasting time that way) on the Vintage Knob, and you'll hit Sony more than any other brand. Seems to me anyway.

Not only that, it's often gear you'd love to at least try.

The omission of a Sony Forum is a glaring one IMO.

I've been mystified as to no Sony Forum.
The omission of a Sony Forum is a glaring one IMO.
Per the moderator's comment at http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/why-no-sony-forum.476187/page-2#post-6180508, there's a good reason for it:

"Sony is an existing company, currently selling gear. It maintains its own discussion forums, and there are several others as well. We have no contacts with Sony (although we'd like to), and they've so far shown little interest in supporting their vintage fans. If things change, we'd consider opening a forum. As things sit, it's not a good use of our very limited resources."

Seems reasonable to me.

Yet there are sub forums like "Gaming" that has little activity and what there is, has little to do with gaming.

Per the moderator's comment at http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/why-no-sony-forum.476187/page-2#post-6180508, there's a good reason for it:

"Sony is an existing company, currently selling gear. It maintains its own discussion forums, and there are several others as well. We have no contacts with Sony (although we'd like to), and they've so far shown little interest in supporting their vintage fans. If things change, we'd consider opening a forum. As things sit, it's not a good use of our very limited resources."

Seems reasonable to me.

What does that statement even mean?
A number of companies with their own forums are an "existing company, currently selling gear."
There are also other places on line to discuss some of these companies.
Finally, "we have no contacts with Sony".
What does that have to do with anything?
Are the mods still talking to Avery Fisher?
Doesn't seem reasonable to me.
Again, yet to see any compelling arguement...

Seems reasonable to me.

Thanks for the inherent reasoning behind this lack of category, but would there not be enough in house knowledge base to be drawn upon? I think most of the members gravitate towards AK for answers for their gear rather than go to either strangers or those found on other boards who they know little about as it would be an in and out after obtaining either data/solution.

I just question as the logic and reason are often different perspectives.

And as you pointed out with "limited resources", should these not also change as was pointed out in an earlier post. Membership is constantly expanding and the wants change accordingly.

Q

Last edited:
Even with it being an older post, I would think the prohibition against arguing with mods still in effect. Furthermore, with that post the thread was closed.

Even with it being an older post, I would think the prohibition against arguing with mods still in effect. Furthermore, with that post the thread was closed.

I see no such rule. There is a rule about commenting on moderation in public, which is completely different than questioning a reason or explanation of something not related to an action that a Moderator has taken. Just because something was discussed six years ago does not mean that it cant at least be discussed again. It is the nature of sites like this one to evolve and change.

I see no such rule. There is a rule about commenting on moderation in public, which is completely different than questioning a reason or explanation of something not related to an action that a Moderator has taken. Just because something was discussed six years ago does not mean that it cant at least be discussed again. It is the nature of sites like this one to evolve and change.

I considered that and more before posting my opinion. The action the mod took was to quote a prior decision and shut down the thread, so I'm not so sure that is "not related". I figured that the postings so far were enough to spark a reassessment if anyone thought a change was merited. Personally, I think Sony's tendency to only occasionally dip its toes in the water as far as music-centric quality product goes works against it for rating a forum. Others will likely disagree, but either way, I don't deny you have some points with which we are in agreement.

I wonder why there's no Scott or Pilot section. There's really a few that could be added.

Another board has 64 manufacturer boards and still No Sony. That board is a pain to navigate to discuss things.

Personally, I think Sony's tendency to only occasionally dip its toes in the water as far as music-centric quality product goes works against it for rating a forum. Others will likely disagree,

Disagree?

Sony is responsible for some serious advances in music-centric technology. Technology of the most music-centric kind.
Just repeating the term hoping to perhaps grasp some subtlety I might be missing? It happens.:naughty:

Screenshot 2018-03-13 22.36.06.png

Sony was cutting-edge more than most, by a long shot. Audiophile grade too be sure.

Screenshot 2018-03-13 22.34.27.png

Of course we could play the "Pretty Pictures of Audio Gear" game for a long time; so that's it for me.

In any case, we all like pretty pictures of audio gear.

You might say I am someone who definitely
disagrees with your statement.

As to a new forum, I have always been curious on the notion, and stated my thoughts earlier, but should I require some specific advice, especially of a technical nature, I would have no issue inquiring in the Solid State forum.

Disagree?

Sony is responsible for some serious advances in music-centric technology. Technology of the most music-centric kind.
Just repeating the term hoping to perhaps grasp some subtlety I might be missing? It happens.:naughty:

View attachment 1137138

Sony was cutting-edge more than most, by a long shot. Audiophile grade too be sure.

View attachment 1137139

Of course we could play the "Pretty Pictures of Audio Gear" game for a long time; so that's it for me.

In any case, we all like pretty pictures of audio gear.

You might say I am someone who definitely
disagrees with your statement.

As to a new forum, I have always been curious on the notion, and stated my thoughts earlier, but should I require some specific advice, especially of a technical nature, I would have no issue inquiring in the Solid State forum.

What current Sony system would you choose to buy over anything else in the same price range, understanding that my music-centric term coinage was meant to rule out HT?

Yes, Sony has built some good, and great, products. I use a few still, but as far as a sub-forum goes... just don't see the need, nor a big base of fans asking for it.

That said, perhaps my prior statement was not well-considered. I retract it.

What current Sony system would you choose to buy over anything else in the same price range,

Honestly haven’t kept up with the current stuff, and the little I have seen didn’t really grab my attention, except for maybe the PS HX500 turntable, whenever I think I might wade into converting some of my albums.

Haven’t convinced myself it’s worth the trouble and like the AT LP 5 better - I think.

If I was in the market for modern audio gear, I’m sure I’d have closer look at Sony.

Having said that, Sony’s latest offerings are of small consequence in regards to the question of AK starting a manufacturers forum for the brand.

Current products are relevant, but hardly the main reason for a forum IMO.

As to the basic question, I could see the rational, but I’m far from adamant on having a forum started.

Just musing.

Back
Top Bottom