Today's JAZZ playlist

Yellowjackets - Blue Hats -

YJBH.png

Tidal 16/44

Coal Minor Eric

That makes two of us. I think you are correct on him sidemanning Bird, however. And I think he played with Chet Baker in Europe before his death. Memory may be wrong so don't quote me on that.

Yeah, I believe I've heard him in live jam sessions out of Boston in the early 50's on Phil Schaap's "Bird Flight" show. I don't remember much about his playing, just his name. Gonna check out the recording bluemonkey shared.

Harlem Jazz, 1930 - Brunswick 9-7014 - 1950 - 4 different 45's
A friend gave me this this weekend. It's a series of 4 different 45's of various big bands recorded in clubs in 1930. Also came as a 10' lp.
Duke Ellington & His Orchestra (Cotton Club)
Don Redman & His Orchestra (Connie's Inn)
Fletcher Henderson & His Orchestra (Connie's Inn)
Luis Russell & His Orchestra (Saratoga Club)

View attachment 1136273

View attachment 1136274

Wow. A gem of a set, sir. My father left me a bunch of 45 "albums" in box sets. I cherish these and am committed (some day - probably after retirement) to digitize them. Enjoy!

Nice to see some Fletcher, Redman, and Luis Russell played!

Harlem Jazz, 1930 - Brunswick 9-7014 - 1950 - 4 different 45's
A friend gave me this this weekend. It's a series of 4 different 45's of various big bands recorded in clubs in 1930. Also came as a 10' lp.
Duke Ellington & His Orchestra (Cotton Club)
Don Redman & His Orchestra (Connie's Inn)
Fletcher Henderson & His Orchestra (Connie's Inn)
Luis Russell & His Orchestra (Saratoga Club)

View attachment 1136273

View attachment 1136274

Well, that's cool. It's good to have friends.

dicktwardziktrio_completerecordings_zpsbfcc35aa.jpg

Dick Twardzik Trio: Complete Recordings

I've only heard him, I believe, in some jam sessions with Bird. Never knew there were any recordings by him.

That makes two of us. I think you are correct on him sidemanning Bird, however. And I think he played with Chet Baker in Europe before his death. Memory may be wrong so don't quote me on that.

Yeah, I believe I've heard him in live jam sessions out of Boston in the early 50's on Phil Schaap's "Bird Flight" show. I don't remember much about his playing, just his name. Gonna check out the recording bluemonkey shared.

I saw this and knew I had some of his stuff, but I came up empty when I searched the 'D' folder on the hard drive. A quick search of Twardzik showed that he was saved as Richard, not Dick.
I've got a Mosaic set called The Pacific Records Jazz Trios that has some of his tunes, plus some by Clare Fischer, Jimmy Rowles and Russ Freeman. I think I'll give it a spin today.

San Diego jazz station again. Got a TT finally setup after 8 mo in storage. But Cliff prefers notto get up this evening.View attachment 1136370
See, most people think that cats and turntables don't mix because they see it spinning and want to attack it. That's true, but it's the lap time that's the real killer!
Chalk one up for digital in the analog vs digital debate.:rflmao:

I saw this and knew I had some of his stuff, but I came up empty when I searched the 'D' folder on the hard drive. A quick search of Twardzik showed that he was saved as Richard, not Dick.
I've got a Mosaic set called The Pacific Records Jazz Trios that has some of his tunes, plus some by Clare Fischer, Jimmy Rowles and Russ Freeman. I think I'll give it a spin today.

I looked under Wiki and I was right, he did play with Chet Baker during Baker's European tour. I'm not sure how I remembered that. Odd. Probably when I was in my super-duper-Baker mode about 5 years ago. I was Chet crazy and played all things Baker and read all the Baker articles and books I could get my hands on.

The only thing certain about Jazz is that I am certain I will never have a handle on the entire catalog. But that's a good thing!

Back
Top Bottom