Marantz 2020 vs. Technics SA-404

pointerDixie

Howdy! So I am looking at receivers for a smaller set up, and curious whether any of you have experience with either a Marantz 2020 receiver or a Technics SA-404. For now, I will just be running Polk Audio Monitor 7Bs, with the hopes of maybe adding another pair of speakers of a similar size, give or take a little.

I am curious whether the 20 watts will be enough for the Marantz to push the Monitor 7Bs, but man I love the idea of a Marantz. The Technics is about $50 more than the Marantz too, which seems odd. But it has a lot more power.

My budget is around $100-200 if that helps. Both of these are comfortably within that. Serviced and come with a 1 month warranty and ability to return for any reason.

Thoughts?

Ha. I should refer you to my “I’m new here” post from last week wherein I said I am sort of lost on all this stuff. Thanks. :) Guess that makes this an easier decision.

Another option would be a Pioneer QX-626, which I know is a receiver.

Ha. I should refer you to my “I’m new here” post from last week wherein I said I am sort of lost on all this stuff. Thanks. :) Guess that makes this an easier decision.

Another option would be a Pioneer QX-626, which I know is a receiver.

Well if you mean a SX 626, that is a fine unit with about 20 watts per channel. Between that and the Technics, it really depends on condition and size of your room. If you have a larger room, more power might be preferable. The Polks you are talking about dont need a huge amount of power to sound good, but if you want more volume, the Technics would be the better choice. The fist thing to look for in a vintage unit is the condition of that unit, not the brand or power. What is the service history? Does the place you are buying from have any kind of return policy or warranty?

Thank you for the advice.

The Pioneer is actually a QX636 (https://lancaster.craigslist.org/ele/d/vintage-pioneer-qx626-quad/6504970984.html). Both units have a 1 month warranty. Full disclosure - I actually have the Technics now (just bought it), and one of the bulbs over the tuner is burnt out and there is some minor crackling when adjusting the low boost filter, and sometimes the volume (though that is only noticeable on low volume and when you only move it one ‘click’). The guy I bought it from is pretty awesome, and he is fixing those issues on Friday. But since I purchased the Technics, I raised a little more funding, so I am curious whether I should just exchange it since the place has the return or exchange for any reason policy. Aside from those two minor issues that should be fixed, the Technics (and all others that this guy has) are in excellent shape.

I will say the sound of the Technics is really nice but for the subtle crackling when changing the settings. The room is fairly large (maybe 350 square feet).

I wonder if I just shouldn’t have him fix the Technics and keep that until I learn more about this stuff.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice.

The Pioneer is actually a QX636 (https://lancaster.craigslist.org/ele/d/vintage-pioneer-qx626-quad/6504970984.html). Both units have a 1 month warranty. Full disclosure - I actually have the Technics now (just bought it), and one of the bulbs over the tuner is burnt out and there is some minor crackling when adjusting the low boost filter, and sometimes the volume (though that is only noticeable on low volume and when you only move it one ‘click’). The guy I bought it from is pretty awesome, and he is fixing those issues on Friday. But since I purchased the Technics, I raised a little more funding, so I am curious whether I should just exchange it since the place has the return or exchange for any reason policy. Aside from those two minor issues that should be fixed, the Technics (and all others that this guy has) are in excellent shape.

I will say the sound of the Technics is really nice but for the subtle crackling when changing the settings. The room is fairly large (maybe 350 square feet).

I wonder if I just shouldn’t have him fix the Technics and keep that until I learn more about this stuff.

I would stay away from the old quad receivers for a first time vintage purchase, but that is just me. They were not produced in the huge numbers like the two channel units were and are often times difficult to get parts for. The issues you are having with the Technics are just cleaning ones probably with the crackling and the bulb issue is just as easy to fix. The Technics in good shape is an excellent unit for a first time vintage purchase. I would stay with it. With that unit you will have plenty of power so if you do find some other speakers that need more, you will have it, especially with the larger room.

Thank you so much. This puts my mind at ease. I have a problem (first step is admitting it, right?) with diving head first into hobbies. I hate not understanding things, and I love learning about all the little nuances of things. And I love overthinking things. J Problem is right now time is somewhat at a premium for me, so I wanted to get the ideal set up running for the time being until this summer when I (supposedly) will have more free time to tinker.

I’ll just have the guy clean the unit and swap the bulb. Which he already said he would do.

Back
Top Bottom