Today's JAZZ playlist

He OD'd on heroin on that tour.

Wiki says he was taught by Serge Chaloff's mother.

Speaking of heroin, DEEP has an episode devoted to 'dope fiends'. Knowing him it'll be R rated, and then some, but might be full of some interesting stories. I might give it a listen later. I actually tried to give it a listen a couple of Saturdays ago, but the wifi in the university's basement was clunky that day.

http://www.whodatsound.com/wdmusicpro/WDRadio/Show021.htm

A warning, that link will go right to the audio stream, so set your volume accordingly if you check it out!

I saw Chet Baker play in the early/mid-70s. He was pretty much through the wringer. It was at the University of Tulsa, in a bare room, no spot lighting, just bare over head fluorescent lighting, a back up band and fold up chairs. My memory is a little fuzzy, but there could not have been more than 40 people in the room, It was kinda pathetic.

Earl Hines Quintessential.JPG

Earl Hines Quintessential Recording Session a 1971 Chiaroscuro release CR 101
Solo work by a superb player. Ever since I picked up the Hines playing Ellington solo, I've gotten a new appreciation for his work. This is as fine a solo piano album as I've heard. Although, I'm fond of Ralph Sutton's Piano Solo album, too.

I saw Chet Baker play in the early/mid-70s. He was pretty much through the wringer. It was at the University of Tulsa, in a bare room, no spot lighting, just bare over head fluorescent lighting, a back up band and fold up chairs. My memory is a little fuzzy, but there could not have been more than 40 people in the room, It was kinda pathetic.
Sounds pretty sad.

crottycormanandphippsjazztrio.jpg

Crotty Corman and Phipps: Jazz Trio

Junior Cook Quintet "Junior's Cookin'" - Jazzland (1961) Orpheum (1966) stereo
s-l1600 (2).jpg
Finally tracked down a clean copy of this Jazzland Lp,albeit a 1966 Orpheum Productions stereo repress. Junior's debut recording as leader features Blue Mitchell,and is solid Hard Bop,like they played for Blue Note with The Horace Silver Quintet. Cook also played Tenor Sax with Blue Mitchell's Quintet on albums like "The Thing To Do" and "Boss Horn". Maybe not underrated but seemingly overlooked when compared to better known Tenor men of that time-I also like his later work with Bill Hardman....

Heading to bed soon trying to get on Eastern time as I have to fly to the East coast tomorrow night. Just chilling with www.WUCF.org.
That station streams in amazing HD compared to most others. Has to be 128k or better. Sounds even higher.

Although any station that streams on Apple Music is HD compared to others. Apple's streaming parameters require 128 AAC if I'm not mistaken.

San Diego jazz station again. Got a TT finally setup after 8 mo in storage. But Cliff prefers notto get up this evening.View attachment 1136370

SWMBO is really into Cats. Siamese, actually. She has two. I'm a dog person, but I have to admit, her cats are very affectionate and love nest on your lap and purr when you sit and listen to Jazz. I'll always be a dog person, but I can appreciate why people enjoy cats after spending so much time listening to Jazz with these two Siamese.

Back
Top Bottom