AK Speaker Favorites

Surprising how many Dynaco a25s I see and how few Klipsch Heresys. There is no comparison. I love the Dynacos...had them since the 70s, but next to Heresy, they are like a Miata chasing after a big block '67 Stingray. Is there some anti- Klipsch sentiment due to the cost?

The A 25 was an inexpensive speaker, widely available, and sometimes discounted. The Heresy was much more expensive, harder to find (I suspect Klipsch dealers had to carry the K Horn, which diminished their numbers substantially, and to them, the Heresy actually was heresy), and more expensive to ship, should you find a mail order source.
Then there is the little matter of how they sound. A 25s sound surprisingly good in almost every setting that I've encountered, and no one I've ever talked to has disagreed. Heresys can sound good but they can also sound awful, and they never go very low. Any number of Kabuki speakers - cheap, widely available, and look at all those drivers - they must be good, and a bargain to boot - sound rather similar.
So I'm not surprised that Heresys are less frequently found than A 25s,
I vehemently disagree with the suggestion that there is an anti-Klipsch sentiment that is behind the difference in numbers. Heresys are very system dependent, and, for many people, if you are going to the effort and expense of system matching, there are more appealling alternatives, many of them, like the A 25, cheaper.

I didn't realize how disliked probably the largest selling speaker of all time is. My Bose 901's.:dunno:

I very seriously doubt the 901 is the largest selling speaker of all time. The Dynaco A25 sold over half a million. The 901 was an expensive offering throughout its life and those never sold as well as the bread and butter speakers in most anyone's line. There is a sound to the 901 and it does a nice job of providing that reflecting with some direct sound like a concert at the local arena.

I very seriously doubt the 901 is the largest selling speaker of all time. The Dynaco A25 sold over half a million. The 901 was an expensive offering throughout its life and those never sold as well as the bread and butter speakers in most anyone's line. There is a sound to the 901 and it does a nice job of providing that reflecting with some direct sound like a concert at the local arena.

Yea, you're probably right Blue. What I should have said is they are one of the most debated speakers of all time. :)

Surprising how many Dynaco a25s I see and how few Klipsch Heresys. There is no comparison. I love the Dynacos...had them since the 70s, but next to Heresy, they are like a Miata chasing after a big block '67 Stingray. Is there some anti- Klipsch sentiment due to the cost?

For my part,
I'll say it like this:

Dynaco was everywhere in those 70 years,
Musical shop where playing their LPs on those D60 and A10 to A25.
There is an reason for that.
Those are really sounding nice,
whatever the preceding electronics,
It's the Electrohome of the 70+ years.

For the Heresy,
and because I had a pair for almost 2 years,
I'll say it like this:
For an medium size Box,
Heresy are:
Easy to place
good Waf
nice to see
really clear
better dynamic and more reveal then all of those 90 db (& lower efficiency) speakers

So with low level sound system,
Heresy are low level speaker.

Heresy with a cross over updated, (those could be more then 40 years old)
very good reading device and amplification,
...(If not, don't worry the Heresy will reveal it)
matched sub
...(for the one who like presence of an sub, if not, need to go 15" woofer...Cornwall & +, or live with an 12" mid dynamic woofer).
then
Heresy are "Irresistible" for an budgeted, and easy to place speaker

Mario

Rectilinear Lowboy III's
Altec Lansing Capris
Pioneer CS-911
Advents
That's my short list unless you just like to split your eardrums with Hard Rocking Cerwin Vega AT-15's (I didn't think so!)

IMO I have a decent rotation of mid fi speakers.
ADS L710
Dynaco A25
Dahlquist M-905
Canton Karat 920 DC

Throughout AK, there are a few vintage speakers that are clearly favorites. I'm thinking of HPM-100s, and AR9s, and a few others.

First, I'd like to compile a list, starting with the above (and this isn't scientific), so nominations are open. The list isn't going to be formalized.

Then, I'm wondering if there's ever been an attempt to figure out why? Do they have anything in common with one another? Is there a particular "sound" that sets them apart? Do they come from any common designer, or theory, or era? Are the response curves similar, or similarly flat, or...?

Now guys, this is a sincere inquiry, not any kind of challenge. I personally have never heard any of them, and do not disagree that they're good. So please, no flaming defenses of your own favorite, and no nasty comparisons.

All civilized input welcome!
I worked for JBL for 25 years in pro sound and it's a well known fact the hpm 100 was a built to mimic the L100 Century. Any early to late 70-s JBL monitors or Altec Model 14,15 or 19 are superb

Of course my Epi M1000 are at the top of my list however I would also include the ADS910, Polk SDASRS1.2tl, AR9, EV Interface D, Altec 19 but I also enjoy the Rectilinear Highboy III, XII as well B&O 5000i... I could go on but will leave the floor to the next individual....lol
My uncle was a silent partner in Rectilinear

NICE... I hope his basement is secretly filled with Rectilinear products still in the boxes tucked away for a rainy day.....lol
Sadly no...if you don't know the company story they were a Laundromat for the Genovese crime family. Otherwise they probably would have been around longer. Acousti-phase was another victim

My favorite oldies are:

Rectilinear III
Chartwell BBC LS3/5A
Infinity RS1b
B&W Matrix 801 S2/S3

And, I've owned them all.

I do love my 4430s - but they will be turned into 4435s sometime this year. I have all the parts but I'm shaking (not in a good way) just thinking about stripping the boxes to put all the drivers into a new one. Yikes

Last edited:
My experience is limited, but of what I have stumbled across, my present favorites are:
Bose 601-II
Realistic Minimus-7
Realistic Optimus-1
Realistic Optimus-5B
Wharfedale W60E

The first 2 are my main speakers in the living room.
The 601s are in the corners and the Minimus-7s are in sort of a near-field position by my chair.
The pairing makes surprisingly good sound for a bit over $30, including new caps and surrounds.

My experience is limited, but of what I have stumbled across, my present favorites are:
Bose 601-II
Realistic Minimus-7
Realistic Optimus-1
Realistic Optimus-5B
Wharfedale W60E

The first 2 are my main speakers in the living room.
The 601s are in the corners and the Minimus-7s are in sort of a near-field position by my chair.
The pairing makes surprisingly good sound for a bit over $30, including new caps and surrounds.
Try the Realistic Mach series.

Back
Top Bottom