Specific Streamer recommendations.

Good question. I haven't had a computer for several years. You can run Spotify on a cheap tablet like an Amazon Fire. Beats the heck out of a PC for this purpose, because you can control everything from the sweet spot. They are about $50.

Yes, that is what I mean. People treat computers as if they are Model Ts and even sales persons don't know the answer to my question. I guess I have to buy it, try it and return it to know for sure.

Spotify with Spotify Connect will stream directly to the Cambridge via your WiFi to the Spotify servers. The stream doesn't go through your PC, phone or tablet. They are simply remote controls, just like your Tv's remote.

The only WiFi streaming protocol that routes the stream through your phone/tablet is Airplay. I avoid it.

Your CXN should show up in your Spotify app on your laptop/PC. If not and since this is a fresh install maybe refreshing the network will help.

Power down your laptop, CXN, and reboot your router. Wait 2 minutes. Then Do a cold boot/reset on the CXN by pulling the power cord for 30 sec. Power up the CXN and verify it's wifi connectiin. Boot the laptop and start Spotify. Click the speaker/devices icon and look for the CXN.

I have the Marantz NA6005 & can play music from my PC using iTunes or MediaMonkey via WiFi. Equally, I can select/play music on the Marantz if the PC is switched on & running a media server - I use Asset.

I don't have a paid-for account with Spotify but can see in Spotify that the Marantz is a device I could connect to if only I could afford the dosh ;-))

upload_2018-3-14_9-16-30.png

I'd suggest you get over your objection, and think of a small tablet or smartphone as a 'smart remote'. Suitable tablets can be bought very cheaply, either new (e.g. a Kindle Fire), or secondhand. $30 ought to get you something perfectly adequate.

You'll get a much better 'user experience' using an app on a tablet. And it would mean you wouldn't need to have your laptop on. The tablet would only be 'on' when you are actively using the controller; after which, the streaming system will do all the work for you. I have my smartphone in aeroplane mode most of the time, using only WiFi.

I don't use any commercial streaming services, but I do stream my 5300+ ripped CDs around the house, from my NAS, to various renderer devices, under the control of various devices (PCs, Win8.1 tablet, Android tablets, Android smartphone).

A Google CCA will work with just the laptop and Spotify, I have done it. Another inexpensive, purpose specific option is to build what you want with a Raspberry Pi. I just did this as well and it can be controlled exclusively from your laptop. It is intimidating, challenging, frustrating and very rewarding, in that order. A DAC is recommended for good sound quality and one can be added to the Pi if you like. Max2Play can sell you everything already setup (except your WiFi connection and account info for your favorite service) and ready to use. There are a variety of options available that can be applied to the appearance. It would be up to you to determine if it meets what you consider "audiophile". YMMV

Ok. But be aware that you do not need cell carrier service in order to use the smart phone as a controller. You can buy used smart phones in excellent condition at very affordable prices. Once on your wifi network....a whole world of possibilities open up. A $35 Chromecast audio or used Airport Express comes to mind.

Just consider it as an all in one remote. :)

Here's a trustworthy source.

https://buy.gazelle.com/gazelle-certified-electronics

I'd suggest you get over your objection, and think of a small tablet or smartphone as a 'smart remote'. Suitable tablets can be bought very cheaply, either new (e.g. a Kindle Fire), or secondhand. $30 ought to get you something perfectly adequate.

You'll get a much better 'user experience' using an app on a tablet. And it would mean you wouldn't need to have your laptop on. The tablet would only be 'on' when you are actively using the controller; after which, the streaming system will do all the work for you. I have my smartphone in aeroplane mode most of the time, using only WiFi.

I don't use any commercial streaming services, but I do stream my 5300+ ripped CDs around the house, from my NAS, to various renderer devices, under the control of various devices (PCs, Win8.1 tablet, Android tablets, Android smartphone).

I can't agree with this more.

When I worked for Sony years ago I was given the task of ordering parts for customers. Many remotes for stuff like TVs and VCRs were north of $50. Some WAY north.
Just yesterday I started looking into replacing my iPhone 5. My carrier offers a trade-in for some phones. Mine? $20.
It has served me well for 5+(?) years, and for that kind of coin it's going to serve me well around the house for another 5 years.
There are a lot of uses around the house for music lovers when it comes to tired smartphones. You don't have to be some maroon stumbling around with you face buried in a smartphone to enjoy what they can offer.:D

Ordered the CXN v2. I will also try it as a DAC for my CD player. But once I get it up and running (or not) with my laptop as a controller, I will let you know how it turns out for me .

Ordered the CXN v2. I will also try it as a DAC for my CD player. But once I get it up and running (or not) with my laptop as a controller, I will let you know how it turns out for me .
Did you try what I suggested above regarding your present CXN?

Thank you. I am sure it will be a steep learning curve for me. I am more versed for mounting tonearms, aligning cartridges etc than doing things in the digital realm.

Spotify will work on the CXN with or without your laptop as a remote. Setup is fairly easy and I think you'll enjoy it.

If using Spotify, I recommend that you buy a Spotify Premium account at $9.99/month. Can't remember for sure, but I believe that it's required to run Spotify through the CXN. It's well worth the money, many more features than the free account, and I found it's sound quality to be very close to Tidal. Shows 44.1kHz on my preamp's display, which is CD quality.

Just went Premium today, in anticipation for the delivery of my CXN v2 on Monday. Spotify is more complex, versatile and interesting than Pandora. Having all this music at my disposal will be fun. Even though I have 5000 CDs, I get bored with them. I like the randomness, surprised and discovery involved with various streaming services.

You're going through the same thing I did. I resisted digital music streaming for quite awhile. Still have and enjoy my CD collection and love the new ability of streaming to discover new and old music that I'd never heard before. I'm actually using my streamer more than my CD player now. It's always great to have multiple music sources at my disposal.

Back
Top Bottom