Sweet new antenna and a couple of questions

Lucky Pierre

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have been looking for a cool antenna to replace the simple dipoles I use now. I won this from the bay this weekend.

Are there any reasons that I cannot connect the antenna to two different tuners (not to be used at the same time, of course)?

It has been a very long time since I have used an antenna with a selector. What does the selector dial on the front do? It has 6 positions.

Any idea where I might find a manual or other info on it? There is no model identification that I can find.

L_P

IMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0541.JPG

It is a frequency trimmer of sorts. When you listen to a specific frequency of the FM dial it will help null out stronger signal within 4 or 5 Mhz of your desired signal. My modern version of this antenna works well. The selector, if I am listening to 89.3 mhz which I do weekly, does nulls out the strong signal at 90.1 mhz and improves the signal strength on the meter by one, by changing the selector setting. When listening to 101.1 mhz it nicely nulls out strong signals at 102.1 mhz and 98.9 mhz by changing the selector. Mine has about a 50 mile range. I can listen to stations in Lawrence KS from the east side of the Kansas City Metro with good signal strength (3.5). When listening to the station 50 miles away changing the selector can trim the antenna to a setting more appropriate for that frequency and increase the signal strength on my meter. If you split the signal you will be reducing the signal to both tuners. I have several of these antennas for OTA digital TV reception and for use on my tunas. My main tuner is a Pioneer TX-8500II.

Happy Listening

Link for modern equivalent https://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT121Z-Durable-Passive-Antenna/dp/B00009W3E2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1520958960&sr=8-5&keywords=rca+rabbit+ears+antenna

Last edited:
to paraphrase what 91 said, you CAN hook up a 300 ohm splitter and share this between two tuners but there will be some signal degradation.

And, as far as the rotary switch goes, don't overthink it. Simply position the arms for the best reception and see which position on the rotary switch gives the best reception. You can use either your ear, the SS meter, or both to determine that.

You may find this is better than your current dipoles but don't be disheartened if it doesn't. It's basically the same type of antenna. Those simple little wire "T" antennas are better than many people want to give them credit for.

Thanks everyone.

I hooked it up to my Sherwood S3000 tuner. Based on the Magic Eye, signal strength is better than with the T dipole antenna. Plus, I am able to pick up (though not clearly) a couple of stations down around 89 that I wasn't able to before.

Obviously there are some advantages of the rabbit ear over the wire dipole. Adjustable length arms and the ability to easily rotate (aim) can help a lot, I've found.

I like the old rabbit ears. Since they were used indoors many had interesting designs. That RCA is one of the cooler looking ones.

Thanks everyone.

I hooked it up to my Sherwood S3000 tuner. Based on the Magic Eye, signal strength is better than with the T dipole antenna. Plus, I am able to pick up (though not clearly) a couple of stations down around 89 that I wasn't able to before.
I also get consistently better results with rabbit ears than I do with the dipoles.

You might want to see if you can get inside that thing and make sure all the connections are clean and not corroded. Could help the signal strength.

You might want to see if you can get inside that thing and make sure all the connections are clean and not corroded. Could help the signal strength.

Sure can! I plan on giving it a good cleaning and replacing the flat dipole wire with something longer.

s-l1600.jpg

Back
Top Bottom