Marantz 2270 volume low?

TellMeWhy

Good evening people...
Does anyone have an idea why my Marantz 2270 puts out less volume (per same position on the dial) than my Marantz 2230?

Sound is fine on both... Marantz 2270 runs much hotter....

I didn't check DC offset or bias... but I wonder, could it be a cold solder joint on the 2270 causing the power loss? The two main caps (along with many of the others) have been replaced by the previous owner...

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Jon

My 2270 volume is also like this. Comfortable listening level (using the tuner as a reference level) is around 11-1 o'clock on the knob.

I don't think you actually have any "power loss". I think this is normal for the 2270 and makes better use of the volume control than reaching full volume at 9-10 o'clock.

The 2245/2270 volume controls do need to be cranked higher on the scale to get roughly the same volume as other vintage Marantz models, at least in my experience.

The 2245/2270 generally run hotter than the 2230. But you should set the bias and the DC offset because it may be running hotter than it should. These amps sometimes take a long time to stabilize. When you set these, give the receiver 90 minutes to warm up rather than the 30 minutes recommended in the service manuals.

Are you using the same speakers for comparison?

Same speakers, same audio analyzer.

I have had the same reaction to the 2270 volume controls as the OP. At first test, the volume always feels 'too low' to me. But testing always shows the amps output as specified.

Same speakers, same audio analyzer.

I have had the same reaction to the 2270 volume controls as the OP. At first test, the volume always feels 'too low' to me. But testing always shows the amps output as specified.
Do earlier versions of the 2270 have different tapers than the later version? Or are they all the same? I was reading Bob's post about the 250 ohm pot differences.

The same volume thing is present on my 2230's. One of them with the lower serial needs position 10 o'clock to reach the volume level what higher serial number 2230 reaches at 9 o'clock.

Back
Top Bottom