Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Wow! I am very interested. Mine is SD19124/ Stereo
I do not have any other albums that can create the same sound as I shake them back an forth. Maybe I do, but I don't listen to those as often
With how much we have been talking about ELP, I actually took this album off of my turntable.

I just put it on the scale again against a variety of albums. BSS has more gram weight than the other four that I put it up against. This time I weighed the inner sleeve as well without the vinyl. The sleeve was 5 grams, so the vinyl is actually 132 grams. I compared it to Anthrax's "Armed And Dangerous" EP which another AK member proclaimed the thinnest record he'd ever seen. Sure enough that one came in at 119 grams, however my 1st pressing of Armored Saint's "Raising Fear" was only 104 grams. Now that record can really wobble when you shake it! So you can see that BSS certainly has some weight to it.

I just put it on the scale again against a variety of albums. BSS has more gram weight than the other four that I put it up against. This time I weighed the inner sleeve as well without the vinyl. The sleeve was 5 grams, so the vinyl is actually 132 grams. I compared it to Anthrax's "Armed And Dangerous" EP which another AK member proclaimed the thinnest record he'd ever seen. Sure enough that one came in at 119 grams, however my 1st pressing of Armored Saint's "Raising Fear" was only 104 grams. Now that record can really wobble when you shake it! So you can see that BSS certainly has some weight to it.

Very nice information! Thank you for doing that.

I have not weighed albums before, though I do understand that the practice is nice for comparison. I had thought to buy on of the recent reissues of BSS (the RSD release), but I have -- and do -- enjoy my copy.

I thing Greg Lake drew more interest from carry over from his days in King Crimson. It never hurt that his vocals were angelic.
You will find that ELP's fan base is small, but furiously passionate and loyal. We celebrate and revel in the fact that we love and cherish something that few people understand or are even aware of.

BTW, I'm Frank. Delmarva is my home. Once again, thanks for starting this thread. It's getting a lot of hits as you can see. I've needed an outlet for my ELP passion ever since Greg Lake's old message board withered away in the wake of his death. Greg always had a VERY active message board. Keith and Carl never did. Somehow, the fans of ELP were always drawn toward Greg's official site above the others and the message board on his site. So what does that say about who was the most important member of the band?

Seeing as how ELP formed in 1970 and Asia in 1981, Asia is copying of ELP and not the other way around.
I see. You misunderstood me. What I said was that the band 3 (Emerson, Berry & Palmer) were attempting to recreate the Asia sound and it's commercial success. I believe 3 was founded and disbanded around 1988.

Great band! I remember the first time I heard Brain Salad Surgery. I was with a bunch of my buds and one of them had just bought the album so we gave it a spin. We had it cranked up of course. I remember at the end of side one you could have heard a pin drop in that room. We just all looked around at each other and said wow! At the end of side two we all said almost in unison, play that again! They made some amazing sounding vinyl!

I know a lot has been added to this thread, but I don't know that I realized how much I liked this band until this tread developed.
We haven't even scratched the surface yet.
standup.jpg

Very nice information! Thank you for doing that.

I have not weighed albums before, though I do understand that the practice is nice for comparison. I had thought to buy on of the recent reissues of BSS (the RSD release), but I have -- and do -- enjoy my copy.
That was the first time that I've put an album on a scale. It was an interesting exercise.

As for the recent Record Store Day release of Brain Salad Surgery. I'm pretty sure that it was a re-release of the BSS flexi-disc sampler of the album.
My buddy Ray, aka @MX5Seeker bought the RSD release last April.

http://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/9343

https://www.discogs.com/Emerson-Lake-Palmer-Brain-Salad-Surgery/master/1169691

That was the first time that I've put an album on a scale. It was an interesting exercise.

As for the recent Record Store Day release of Brain Salad Surgery. I'm pretty sure that it was a re-release of the BSS flexi-disc sampler of the album.
My buddy Ray, aka @MX5Seeker bought the RSD release last April.

http://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/9343

https://www.discogs.com/Emerson-Lake-Palmer-Brain-Salad-Surgery/master/1169691

Thank you! I didn't understand quite what it was, I guess. I think I would have been clued in if I'd paid attention to the 7" description.

Now, I may have to track a copy down.

Very glad to see this thread! Frank is absolutely right about Keith being the driving force behind the band. The Nice was originally a quartet. Once they lost their lead guitarist and became a trio, Keith's keyboards became the lead instrument. And that became the founding idea of ELP - a band with the keyboards playing lead, bass, and drums. The fact that Lake could also play guitar and could take on lead when needed was a bonus. Add that to his already extraordinary voice. As for Palmer, what can I say? He has always been a musical hero of mine and he is why I have a set of electronic drums in my office. :)

This is my current ELP "rarity".

index.php

Very glad to see this thread! Frank is absolutely right about Keith being the driving force behind the band. The Nice was originally a quartet. Once they lost their lead guitarist and became a trio, Keith's keyboards became the lead instrument. And that became the founding idea of ELP - a band with the keyboards playing lead, bass, and drums. The fact that Lake could also play guitar and could take on lead when needed was a bonus. Add that to his already extraordinary voice. As for Palmer, what can I say? He has always been a musical hero of mine and he is why I have a set of electronic drums in my office.
Hey Ray, I knew you'd find us here. How cool to have a thread devoted to ELP? Why didn't we think to do it before?

Today marks the second anniversary of Keith's passing. A very sad day indeed.
https://www.facebook.com/keithemersonmemorialbench/
548a29070c89c4bdaf6a37dca9cc7478.jpg

Not my rarest ELP related item, but perhaps my most cherished.
My autographed copy of "Emerson Plays Emerson".
001.jpg

28377910_10155651159397758_3113259244617828483_n.jpg

This is not a great photo, but thought some of you might like to see it. It's ELP at the Springfield, MA Civic Center in either Jan or Feb, 1979. It was freezing cold outside, but inside it was fired up!

Keith, always a showman, had a portable keyboard that would appear to spit smoke. It was also lit. Carl had a drum kit that rose in the air, that allowed some wild mobility. An amazing show.

QhkxdMym.jpg

Back
Top Bottom