WOW! Best Strat vs. Worst Strat

Jayrosc

Hey. I post this because so many of here on AK devote lots of energy comparing gear. This is a video of two Brits that do a face off between one $3000 Fender Stratocaster against one $100 Fender Squier Strat. I've had both an American Deluxe Strat and just picked up a Squier for 20 bucks. The Strat is a definitive piece of music gear, like a Marantz receiver or a pair of Altec speakers, so I thought folks here might enjoy a very well taped video showing the difference (or lack of) between the best and the worst. Enjoy. it's a fun video.

Hey. I post this because so many of here on AK devote lots of energy comparing gear. This is a video of two Brits that do a face off between one $3000 Fender Stratocaster against one $100 Fender Squier Strat. I've had both an American Deluxe Strat and just picked up a Squier for 20 bucks. The Strat is a definitive piece of music gear, like a Marantz receiver or a pair of Altec speakers, so I thought folks here might enjoy a very well taped video showing the difference (or lack of) between the best and the worst. Enjoy. it's a fun video.
Pounds, not dollars. About $4800 vs $160.
I've got an American Deluxe Strat and a custom homebuilt my dad made and the difference isn't huge.

Last edited:
I could never bond with any Fender regardless of price. After 40 years of playing, I guess I never will

When I first started playing I had aspirations of becoming a great player and eventually performing. My first electric was a used late 80s Korean Squier Bullet that my wife bought for me at a pawn shop. Later I assumed that a better guitar would make me a better player so I bought an American Standard Strat and then a G&L Legacy. Both around $1000 back then. Well, as nice as they were, not to mention the bragging rights, I still sucked. I didn't think my skill level justified those axes so I sold them and have since had a lot of fun buying, modding and playing "cheap" guitars.

I've had some really good player friends pick up my guitars and they really make 'em cook. I still have the Squier and it's one my favorites and a lot of fun to play. And I still suck.

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 25
American made strats are awesome I have one now but I also have a 1962 made in japan strat that I paid 1200.00 bucks for and they don't make those anymore they were only for sale in asia. It came with texas specials and all American hard ware I rewired it myself, I also have the matching tele as well. I have to say both of my strats are perfect! I use a Marshall 100watt half stack and they sound unreal! VanHalen played a 130.00 strat copy and look what he could do. So If you know how to play that 100.00 guitar can sound as good as a 4000.00 guitar with the right amp! That is just my 2 cents.....:biggrin:

Check out Jimmie Page using a '59 Danelectro. Sears sold them for under $100 back in the day.
Here's my modded '59 Dano reissue and a couple of Squier Classic Vibes.

001.JPG

I played guitar from 1973 until 2013 (stroke ended that) and I never felt right with a strat in my hands. I love the sound of a strat but always hated where the volume pot was located. My picking style always had my hand close to the bridge and I constantly turn the volume up or down when picking. Never had that problem with my Gibson Les Paul or my Ibanez Roadstar II. I often thought about how cool my Ibanez would sound with a strat P/U in the middle and the strat 5 way switch to play with, Never gonna happen now. :(

I have both a Squire Bullet Strat and a Semi hollow 335 style Harley Benton and you can get cool sounds out of Strats if you put the pick ups in the 2 and 4 position,which blends the pick ups in a unique way.True the neck is a bit thin but they are great guitars with killer looks.The 335 clone has a nice thick neck and humbuckers so great tone both dirty and clean is easy to achieve if you have a decent amp.

That "in-between" sound was always a bit tricky to get and keep with the old 3-way switch. The 5-way made it much easier and the "quack" from those positions is as we used to say TITS! Then later on we all heard Mark Knopfler and it was like Ah, so that's it.

Speaking of Strat quack, I'm trying something right now that is supposed to enhance that tonal quality in positions 2 and 4. I'm upgrading a Squier SE with Tex Mex p'ups and new electronics and I'm going to wire the neck and bridge to the tone controls and leave the middle pickup open. The Jimmie Vaughan/Eric Johnson mod. We'll see.

001.JPG

Last edited:
When I first started playing I had aspirations of becoming a great player and eventually performing. My first electric was a used late 80s Korean Squier Bullet that my wife bought for me at a pawn shop. Later I assumed that a better guitar would make me a better player so I bought an American Standard Strat and then a G&L Legacy. Both around $1000 back then. Well, as nice as they were, not to mention the bragging rights, I still sucked. I didn't think my skill level justified those axes so I sold them and have since had a lot of fun buying, modding and playing "cheap" guitars.

I've had some really good player friends pick up my guitars and they really make 'em cook. I still have the Squier and it's one my favorites and a lot of fun to play. And I still suck.

Same here !!
Well put, and I can/could very much relate about the strived for playing skill level, or lack thereof the end results !!
Too much "Right Brain" dominance, in my case !!
You are a good, and honest with yourself man, JohnMac..

Have a great week.

Kind regards, OKB

Some people say "it's all in the hands" and Stevie RV with a Les Paul would still sound like Stevie but seriously, it wouldn't be That Stevie.
Jimmy Page didn't use the Danelectro because it was a better guitar than the Tele's and LP's he'd been using but because it offered a different sound.
Guitars have a huge impact on how and what we play. My friend's borrowed Les Paul with the P90's made me sound and play differently than my Humbucker LP.

Sorry but you get what you pay for. I have to laugh at video and reviews compareing $100 to $1000 anything. My Kia is just as good as a Mercedes. Nonsense. What do you do with a $100 guitar when it needs a frett dress and set up? Throw it away and buy another.
My CS 63 Strat will be making music for generations after I am gone.It is a treasure that won’t ever be tossed in dumpster...the $100 Strat will be long forgotten and disguarded. PQ
6C2A0421-FAEB-40E3-8C40-37DCAC8CB047.jpeg

Last edited:
Does that Olympic white strat have gold hardware?
Yes it does! flamed birds eye maple neck ,63 CS vintage wound pick ups ,master built by Jay W Black of the Fender Custom Shop . It is simply a incredible instrument that only gets better as it ages! There is no $100 Strat that will ever come remotely close in feel, tone ,playability ,craftsmanship or quality of materials...sorry you don’t get that from budget instruments.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom