The caps in the Gamma V leak and eat the traces on the board. If you have a Gamma V tuner and it still works, get it recapped immediately. If you have one and it doesn't work, open it up and look at the traces on the bottom of the board. It might not be too late to repair it. Maybe only a few traces need to be jumpered. Wonderful tuner. It is likely that Nikko used the same shitty caps in other pieces of the same series. If you have any of those, better replace the caps.

The early Nikko Alpha, Beta, Gamma series was outstanding. Dual Mono block designs on many of the amps with overall great build quality. The Gamma V tuner is rated one of the best tuners over at the FM tuner info site. There's a lot of good info on AK about the Nikko brand. Unfortunately, they did not last too long after the Asti corporation bought the brand and it died in the late 80s.

An unsung hero, I liked Nikko too. My buddy’s dad had a really big, over 85 watt’er in the living room. I’ll bet it was fifty pounds. Speaking of pound, the poor eight inch Ohm speakers they had were severely abused. I don’t know how they didn’t end up on fire.

37 years ago I had the amp and tuner and KLH speakers It really sounded nice, My buddy has the tuner still to this day. I would get a really nice rack and screw all those components in. That would be a thing of Beauty! :beatnik::beerchug::smoke::smoke:

Here's me
The cd player was a victim of a recent incident. It has since been replaced with a Tascam CD200BT. So I'm set for awhile. I've been thinking about adding a CO-23 (or 2) into the mix, but then that requires a couple more amps ( Alphas, of course) and then actual new speakers, since the Advents are not set up to bi-amp. The current configuration does have a mono sub, though, driven by that Alpha on the bottom, bridged. So, its a never ending cycle of want.:beerchug:
PoG595I.jpg

Last edited:
Tempted and contemplating .......seller is motivated........any thoughts of a reasonable don't need but want kind of price tag for a stack like this?

Tempted and contemplating .......seller is motivated........any thoughts of a reasonable don't need but want kind of price tag for a stack like this?
Sometimes you have to set aside feelings of DEAL and think - dude, I could have a lot of FUN with that!

I have a Nikko NR-1415 as well. Picked it up while visiting Memphis in 9/10 condition with original owners manual, polishing cloth, and sales receipt from a store off of Elvis Presley Boulevard! It is not nor will it ever be for sale!

Pulled the trigger............maybe I need a rack for these

Attachments

• IMG_1957.JPG
    IMG_1957.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1221.JPG
    IMG_1221.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1223.JPG
    IMG_1223.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2314.JPG
    IMG_2314.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I’ll be looking for first impressions soon.
They sound just as I remember 10 yrs ago .......powering a/d/s l780/2. My first power amp Was an alpha 220. Hooked to a ps audio 5.0 pre. ... I now have 5 alpha 220s. 3 now not working......paid what would have costed to repair 2. ......listening tonight with vinyl. Better than I remember. Pre amp is sounding just fine.... Looooong list of nikkos.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom