The official AK golf thread

Went to the fitting the other day - the local Ping guy - found out my old Ping I3s were the right dot, but wrong shaft, wrong grip and too short. Had around an hour working the different lies, shafts and grips on the simulator - what a difference! Was hitting my regular flex graphite I3 7 iron on average about 160 yards. After getting the proper club, that average went up to 195 yards with a 211 yard long ball. Of course, it's on a simulator, but still.

If you've never been properly fitted, do so. I never have been, just bought what I thought was close (always played Pings so I'd go off their chart) but turns out that doesn't account for everything. At 6'4", the chart says I should be more of a white dot, but the green ended up being what I hit the best. Along with 1/2 inch extended length and stiff flex shafts.

Anyhow, ordered a set of these:
upload_2018-3-21_14-44-32.jpeg

Can't wait to get them on the course!

I like Ping as well and still play i15’s. Yellow dot.
Not sure if they’re fitted right and know I need a fitting.
I’d really like to go down to their Phoenix facility and get properly fitted for my last set of clubs. Dreamer.

I'd like to just tour the place!

Our guy charges $50 for the fitting, but of course, if you buy something it's free. I had thought about reshafting and regripping the I3s, but in the end, I decided to go with the new irons - probably will be my last set too. I played my Zings for about 20 years then the I3s that I bought used for the past four.

Last edited:
Wadjagit Cubdog?

Taylor Made Supreme Cart Bag. It was the 2016 model so I got it for about $100 less than the new model. My last Bag was a Taylor Made too and it was the best bag I've ever had. I will get a picture posted soon. Promise.

Played my first round of the year on Friday, low 50's & a good breeze. Course was empty due to morning rain but I called the course 1/2 hour north of us and they said they barely had any rain, no restrctions on carts. Got off the tees pretty well, a couple of quick swings here & there plus some bad wedge play doomed me, but overall I was pretty pleased considering I had only hit a small bucket over the last 4+ months.
The touch shots around the green were absent but I putted well considering the greens were quick with little growth on them plus the breeze. Hint: don't be above the hole when there is no way to stop the putt. Today we are getting around 4 inches of snow, yuck. I won't be able to play for a few more weeks , but I am looking forward to a better 2018 campaign.

I guess the cold weather is limiting play in the upper half of the country, still wearing my winter jacket to work. My buddy & I plan on playing 9 on Sunday am as it is supposed to be north of 50, which is pretty much my bellweather for playing. It will be nice to get some swings in, even if it is just for 9 holes.

Our local course opened on the 15th and this morning my golfing buddy phoned me to go out at 9:40 am tomorrow. I'm kinda bummed I can't go because I'm having an estate sale for a deceased buddy's family most of tomorrow. Could be worse, it could be my estate sale. ;)

Well I got my first round of the year in today and it was so much better than expected. We teed off at 9:50 am and it was clear and cool (had to scrape the car windows) but it warmed up to be an almost perfect day. I was down to shirt sleeves by the 5th hole and we must have been in the mid 70's F by the end of the day. I have never seen such a perfect blue sky as it was today. I wasn't expecting much of a score for the first time out, hoping not to shoot 100 or worse. The final tally was a 94 with 32 putts,both of which would piss me off near the end of the season, but not today. It was effing glorious out there today and I would have been happy if I shot 140. GAME ON!!!! :)

Third time out for 18 holes yesterday. Shaky start but got it together somewhat and shot 45 on the front and 43 on the back tieing my best score ever on this course. It helps a lot that most of my iron and woods game sucks but I can putt well and the short game ain't bad. 26 putts on the round.

Just moved to a house on a golf course, joined 2 leagues and ready to go. Then May 7 and terrible stomach pains. Wife drove me to emergency...admitted...tests showed bowel blockage. Surgery May 9. A month out and mending ok. Still can't do full club swing. No fun watching others play out of my window.

Well the 2018 golf campaign has been fairly dreary, total pyscho off the tee box. Huge slices, followed by snap hooks, tough to make pars when you are missing fairways by 30 yards. Bunker play has been dodgy, a nice one followed by a lousy one. On the bright side my flop shots have been real good, you get plenty of practice when you keep missing greens.
Teed it up on Saturday afternoon and really focused on slowing down the swing. The old expression, "fast backswing, thin wallet", comes to mind. Well slowing it down went a long way to finding the short grass and on the back 9 I hit 5 out of 7 fairways leading to a respectable 90 on a short course, just over 6,000 yards with a slope of 127. Sacrificing distance for control looks to be the key for me, 225 in the fairway beats the heck out of 245 in the trees. 32 putts and I missed 3 makeable ones. Hope springs eternal.

Games hard... I love it!
Got my cap down to a 9 but trending up.
Crazy though because I feel really good about my game right now... until the next drive.

Anyone see Feherety with Ian Poulter? Thought it said he has 11 Ferraris. I know these guys make big money but 11?

I started my year fairly well but have been sliding down hill as of late. I've been having left knee problems that the Doc tells me should go away in 6-8 weeks and I can't post up very well on that leg on my follow through so I've been spraying most shots to the right and when I don't, it's a dead pull bullit 20-30 yards left,if only those pulls went straight I'd be in really good shape. I shot a 99 yesterday with penalty strokes for 3 lost balls. Chipping and putting is the only thing keeping my scores in the double didgets. I hope it gets better when my knee comes around because I don't know how much longer I can take playing this lousy. ;)

While on vacation last week I got to play 3 rounds, the most concentrated period of golf in a long time. I finally found what was ailing my game, other than the obvious swing really fast resulting in a huge slice, I have been guilty of the "Flying Elbow". Neglecting to keep my right elbow tucked close to my body on the down swing & follow through.
Really concentrating on a slow takeaway and keeping the right side tucked in which for me, results in straighter shots. Hitting fairways yields lower scores. Simple as that. Decent wedge play gives me a shot at par or bogey and 18 fives is a 90.I broke 90 twice this week, something I hadn't done in years. Teeing off early in the morning and getting around the course as a twosome in 3 hours was also a factor, as pace of play is so important. Being out there with the "Dew beaters" doesn't hurt as the putts weren't breaking as much at that time of day, a lot slower at 7 am than at 3 in the afternoon. A good week of golf for a change.

Back
Top Bottom