Marantz Imperial 9's

Thanks.

Does anyone know what they are?

I spoke to an old, grungy Audiophile recently, whose back may be worse than mine, and he was under the impression Marantz used more than one kind?

Simply curious at this point.

Best,

SJ

Can you check the impedience? Marantz used 4 ohms woofers wired in series. If those are 8 ohms, they will work but the speaker will be 16 ohms in the low frequencies. Tom

Obi Tom Canobee:

I do not know the ways of The Force.

I think I have an analog multimeter in the garage I never figured out how to use - would that do it?

Best,

SJ

Yes, make sure it has batteries, set it to Ohms, 10 or 50 ohm scale, and put the leads on the two terminals of the woofer, disconnected from the crossover.

As for your woofers they look very familiar but I was not able to make anything out of the numbers stamped on them. 486 is the only 3-digit that returned anything as an EIA code, and that's QSE, an electronics co. from IL. I have never heard of drivers made by them but I am by no means an encyclopedia of woofers.

You might post the woofer pics in a new thread (the SPEAKER forum) titled "does anyone recognize these woofers?"
If you can find out who made them you have a chance of getting data on them which may help determine whether they are a good fit. But check the resistance first, if they're wrong then it's a moot point.

What do you get when you touch the probes together? Should be zero. If not, adjust using the screw under the meter, if that doesn't do it, check the battery. Ohm readings require a current source to work so a weak battery will give wonky results.

Looks like you might have the probes plugged into the meter jacks, aren't there bananas on the other ends of those cables?

Oh, wait, it only has a 1000 ohm scale...a 4 or 8 ohm driver is not going to be distinguishable from zero on that scale...you need a different meter.

Nowadays you can get a pretty decent digital multimeter at places like Harbor Freight for $20-$25. Surprisingly versatile and while not pro grade, should last awhile for occasional use. Check it out, if you're going to mess with speakers you need one anyway. :cool:

Nowadays you can get a pretty decent digital multimeter at places like Harbor Freight for $20-$25. Surprisingly versatile and while not pro grade, should last awhile for occasional use. Check it out, if you're going to mess with speakers you need one anyway. :cool:
Crap didn’t think about HF. Amazon, digital, here tomorrow.

Can someone please tell me if:

1. I purchased the right meter

2. If so, is it hooked up correct and on the correct setting

3. If yes to number 1 and 2, is 6.4 the correct reading?

Absolutely frustrated and in a ton of pain,

SJ

Attachments

• B7B070D5-C53F-4FF2-8474-DD95DADA1C54.jpeg
    B7B070D5-C53F-4FF2-8474-DD95DADA1C54.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 19
Looks good to me and an 8-ohm woofer should read about 5.5-6.5 ohms on DC resistance. Note that a driver's ohm rating is 1) 'nominal' because it varies with frequency and actually makes a sweeping curve over the audio range, and they usually select the lowest point; and 2) it's based on AC impedance and the meter measures DC resistance, which is why it's lower on your meter.

Sure looks like an 8 ohm woofer there.

But of course they are...

FML.

Anyone need some 8 ohm 10” woofers. Have 4.

Anyone know what 4 ohm 10” woofers I should purchase for these speakers.

You might find this useful:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....rantz-imperial-9-woofer.717425/#post-11003946

I found it by entering "imperial 9" (with the quotes) in the search box and searching all of AK.

You have a smaller audience here in Marantz than you would in Speakers, but I'd read the above thread and search for some more info anyway. You might find some other replacement ideas, and sometimes a driver is used in more than one speaker from the same brand, although I'm doubtful on this one.

Of course, you can watch ebay for blue Marantz woofers, but that takes an unknown amount of time.

Hang in there, these are great speakers and if they are working you can take your time finding drivers. It happens when buying used speakers, but hopefully only once. :biggrin:

I would just put them back in and use them for the time being. You may have to goose the bass a little, but into nominal 16 ohms, it won't be a big deal. Worst case is that you will lose a few dB off of your max SPL.
It's not the end of the world by a long shot. Hell, you could probably get away with running them in parallel. That's worth a try just for the sake of experimentation.

Tarior...

Absolutely correct.

I hear things on Rhiannon I’ve never heard before. The 7’s are happy and super. The 9’s are impressive.

Thank you so much. Here are the new settings that quite frankly make me smile..,

Attachments

• 2143466A-E3F4-4CE8-8BC1-94B978AC24EB.jpeg
    2143466A-E3F4-4CE8-8BC1-94B978AC24EB.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 15
  • AFD8BF15-988C-41CD-A454-577E43C708DC.jpeg
    AFD8BF15-988C-41CD-A454-577E43C708DC.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 14
Hang in there, these are great speakers and if they are working you can take your time finding drivers. It happens when buying used speakers, but hopefully only once. :biggrin:
I have a set if Imperial 6s. They sound quite nice- much more "forward" than the other speakers I have. "Something" happened to on of the speakers- it's distorted and makes a "clunk" sound. I've been advised to get new drivers- but I'm hesitant to throw a driver in a box that was designed for something else.

What would be a proper course of action?

And since "pix or it didn't happen," here's an old pic of them on top of the Rectilinear III tall boys...

IMG_5938 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Are you sure it's the driver making that clunk? I mean you've switched channels and it's not your amp, and switched woofers so you know it's not the crossover etc.?

If you're sure it's the woofer it may have a separated spider. Inspect carefully and make sure it hasn't become disconnected from either the basket or the cone.

Do these woofers have foam surrounds and are they OK?

I have a set if Imperial 6s. They sound quite nice- much more "forward" than the other speakers I have. "Something" happened to on of the speakers- it's distorted and makes a "clunk" sound. I've been advised to get new drivers- but I'm hesitant to throw a driver in a box that was designed for something else.

What would be a proper course of action?

And since "pix or it didn't happen," here's an old pic of them on top of the Rectilinear III tall boys...

IMG_5938 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

I love my Imperial 6s......And they are fairly bass forward, even at low volumes. If they are "clunking" it sounds like a seperated spider like toxcrusadr suggested.

25443091_1746780955341844_8205492183942552749_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom