Today's Irish/Scottish/English folk playlist

The Saw Doctors: Sing a Powerful Song.
upload_2018-3-19_13-2-35.jpeg I realize that this record is a compilation, but I have found over time that rarely do I come across a record that has more than 1 or 2 songs that really get my interest. Here is a record that has 5 or 6 songs that I think are outstanding. Macnas Parade, N17, To Win Just Once, What a Day, Same Oul' Town, Exhilarating Sadness, Why Do I Always Want You. Well that's 7 songs right there, and these to my ears are the cream of the crop. That is not to belittle the rest of the record, these are just the ones that I find exemplary. BUY IT.

The Saw Doctors: Sing a Powerful Song.
View attachment 1141553 I realize that this record is a compilation, but I have found over time that rarely do I come across a record that has more than 1 or 2 songs that really get my interest. Here is a record that has 5 or 6 songs that I think are outstanding. Macnas Parade, N17, To Win Just Once, What a Day, Same Oul' Town, Exhilarating Sadness, Why Do I Always Want You. Well that's 7 songs right there, and these to my ears are the cream of the crop. That is not to belittle the rest of the record, these are just the ones that I find exemplary. BUY IT.
Have both their albums and they blew me away when i first heard them.Great post RT:)

Great spins out there AKers. I post in this thread every so often. Not enough.

A short story for those who can relate and love the Irish music like I do. One word: Riverdance. It's how I discovered Irish Music. Ah! Ha! you say Riverdance is "contempary". Yes it is. I enjoyed the hell out of it, and the dancing too. From Riverdance I was off to the library where my research began. I grabbed it all. Every bit I could, and listened. A lot of comps from Green Linnet. After I heard CDs from The Bothy Band and Altan it set me on my Traditional path. One man: Donal Lunny. He was involved in anything and everything I liked. That led my to Planxty with Christy, Andy and Liam. I have soooo much music Donal is part of.I can't imagine what I don't have. I'll bet it's a ton. I drifted away from bands that played the accordion (the "Squeeze Box" except for subtle use, background, etc...) and fell inline with bands that played the pipes and Flutes.

I listen off and on to my Irish music but not like I used to. Enough though. My wife and I go to Irish Fest every year in Milwaukee since 1999. Every Fest I be sure I listen to some new stuff. I remember thinking way back in the late nineties after I discovered the wealth of tremendous, beautiful Traditional Irish music out there (I had never known existed) that I would listen to nothing else ever again. For years it's all I listened to. I got to know quite well what I liked and didn't like. After reading these posts here every so often and all the knowledge that's here from all of you I see there's so much more I missed. But, there's a lot I didn't. So much more to mine. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Thank you for reading. It's been fun writing this. And no doubt I'll be editing.

S.J.

Last edited:
Nice progression - me too! I was lucky to have seen Riverdance at Radio City Music Hall (1996), the first tour with Colin Dunne instead of Flatley. Just happened to be the show they were taping, so I'm in the audience shots on the DVD release. (Also saw Stomp! and Rent the same weekend:). Just a stunning performance - watching the DVD brings it all back.
From there it was Thistle and Shamrock and on to Mouth Music, et al...still my favorite music!
Saw Loreena McKennitt live last fall (third time) - still amazing, and apparently has a new release coming out soon.
Ditto on thanks to all the great suggestions in this thread!

A short story for those who can relate and love the Irish music like I do. One word: Riverdance. It's how I discovered Irish Music. Ah! Ha! you say Riverdance is "contempary". Yes it is. I enjoyed the hell out of it, and the dancing too. From Riverdance I was off to the library where my research began. I grabbed it all. Every bit I could, and listened. A lot of comps from Green Linnet. After I heard CDs from The Bothy Band and Altan it set me on my Traditional path. One man: Donal Lunny. He was involved in anything and everything I liked. That led my to Planxty with Christy, Andy and Liam. I have soooo much music Donal is part of.I can't imagine what I don't have. I'll bet it's a ton. I drifted away from bands that played the accordion (the "Squeeze Box" except for subtle use, background, etc...) and fell inline with bands that played the pipes and Flutes.

I listen off and on to my Irish music but not like I used to. Enough though. My wife and I go to Irish Fest every year in Milwaukee since 1999. Every Fest I be sure I listen to some new stuff. I remember thinking way back in the late nineties after I discovered the wealth of tremendous, beautiful Traditional Irish music out there (I had never known existed) that I would listen to nothing else ever again. For years it's all I listened to. I got to know quite well what I liked and didn't like. After reading these posts here every so often and all the knowledge that's here from all of you I see there's so much more I missed. But, there's a lot I didn't. So much more to mine. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Thank you for reading. It's been fun writing this. And no doubt I'll be editing.

S.J.
Nice post SJ,Donal is the man......by the way i assume you have "The Storm"?:)

P3198784.jpg

WAYFARING STRANGER
Folksongs
Andreas Scholl – countertenor
Orpheus Chamber Orchestra

Decca
:thumbsup::trebon::thumbsup:

Nice post SJ,Donal is the man......by the way i assume you have "The Storm"?:)

No. I believe I don't have The Storm. I'll have to look if I have any Moving Hearts. I think it's who you mean. The name sounds so familiar. I know I've heard music by them, maybe from a comp disc.

S.J.

No. I believe I don't have The Storm. I'll have to look if I have any Moving Hearts. I think it's who you mean. The name sounds so familiar. I know I've heard music by them, maybe from a comp disc.

S.J.
Youve got a treat in store SJ,get your hands on all Moving Hearts.You wont be dissapointed.In some ways they were the last echo of Planxty.:)

I drifted away from bands that played the accordion (the "Squeeze Box" except for subtle use, background, etc...)

I picked up three Silly Wizard albums the other day. Really good score. Was listening to one of them, and finally accepted it, I don't much care for aggressive, lively, climb the walls accordion music. I had been noticing this for some time, but was reluctant to accept it. But, it is what it is. Thanks for posting.

S.J.
I love Christy Moore. If you like Planxty, you would probably enjoy their DVD "Planxty-Live 2004"

P7058112%2B%25281%2529.jpg

IN PRAISE OF SAINT COLUMBA
The Sound World of the Celtic Church
7c. Hymns from Iona, 10c. Irish-foundation Chants, 14c. Inchcolm Antiphoner
Choir of Gonville & Caius College Cambridge
Barnaby Brown - triplepipes, lyre
Geoffrey Webber - director

Delphian

I love Christy Moore. If you like Planxty, you would probably enjoy their DVD "Planxty-Live 2004"

I have it and love it. Actually it's on loan to my record store guy this week. Loaned it to him on St. Patrick's Day. He didn't know about it so I had to share. Christy's voice is like a good Single Malt Whisky, smooth and intoxicating.

S.J.

Last edited:
Not long ago I picked up the album "Live at Last" by Steeleye Span. I did my usual routine of cleaning it. When I got around to playing the album, I'm thinking it's not bad . I played side one and was playing side two, and the last track of side two, "Rag Doll" plays. Wow! About fell outa my chair. Love it.

Pentangle - “Cruel Sister”

This was what I often used selling audio in the '70s. I played When I Was In My Prime and I would explain that a single voice could reveal things that muddied sound but were covered up with just an accompanying guitar. Her voice sounded boxy or chesty with The Advent Loudspeaker. It was better on the Infinity 1001. But beautiful on the SAE MK XII.

It sounded best at home with my Infinity Servo-Statik I system.

Back
Top Bottom