Topping D50

The "tests" look good, but how does it sound? :D

Hopefully as good as Topping DAC's do.

The D30 and DX7/DX7s measure great and sound so as well.

Topping builds quality gear at very competetive(sp?) prices.

Simple no frills stuff with quality components and solid engineering. That's why "Tests" are useful, to give you a baseline of what to expect.

Eric

Hopefully as good as Topping DAC's do.

The D30 and DX7/DX7s measure great and sound so as well.

Topping builds quality gear at very competetive(sp?) prices.

Simple no frills stuff with quality components and solid engineering. That's why "Tests" are useful, to give you a baseline of what to expect.

Eric

I get it, and Topping does look quality, but i've seen Schiit DAC's test really bad, but listen very good.

Toppings are so cheap they are easy to try out, if you don't like it, easy to sell and you're not out much. Which i will most likely do with the 50, and compare it to my modded Maverick D2

I get it, and Topping does look quality, but i've seen Schiit DAC's test really bad, but listen very good.

Toppings are so cheap they are easy to try out, if you don't like it, easy to sell and you're not out much. Which i will most likely do with the 50, and compare it to my modded Maverick D2
It does not come with a power supply. But will run off USB plug. I am intrigued how it listens. Uses same technology as the DX7s that has balanced design but has better specs.

Surprising The tester does not listen but only measures. But says all DACs sound close. Maybe if the transducers are not up to the detail. It still ends up all about the match of components and synergy. Please share a review if you spring for a D50.

Surprising The tester does not listen but only measures. But says all DACs sound close. Maybe if the transducers are not up to the detail. It still ends up all about the match of components and synergy. Please share a review if you spring for a D50.

My thoughts exactly.

It does not come with a power supply. But will run off USB plug. I am intrigued how it listens. Uses same technology as the DX7s that has balanced design but has better specs.

One persons opinion on how it sounds is just that. So he doesn't say much about that over at ASR.

Plenty of places online that love to talk about sound and don't care about measurements. That's fine.

Looking forward to peoples impressions all the same. Should do well in the $250 segment.

Eric

One persons opinion on how it sounds is just that. So he doesn't say much about that over at ASR.

Plenty of places online that love to talk about sound and don't care about measurements. That's fine.

I think you need a balance.. measurements suck but sounds great? hmm maybe we should look more into that. Measurements great but sounds bad? maybe we should dig into that too.

Looking forward to peoples impressions all the same. Should do well in the $250 segment.

Totally agree!

Nice! It will be interesting to read some listening impressions once these get out into the wild.

Think I'll wait on massdrop or Amazon to make sure I get the real McCoy plus they both have good return policies.
Aliexpress has the real McCoy and in a few days they'll only be $212.50 (15% off anniversary sale). I ordered mine on March 15th and I just got DHL confirmation it will be delivered on Monday. They didn't receive stock until the 20th, so 6 days is pretty good from Hong Kong.

Aliexpress has the real McCoy and in a few days they'll only be $212.50 (15% off anniversary sale). I ordered mine on March 15th and I just got DHL confirmation it will be delivered on Monday. They didn't receive stock until the 20th, so 6 days is pretty good from Hong Kong.

Thanks for the heads up. I might order one during their sale.

I notice the D50 does not come with a power supply. Any recommendations for a decent one?

Last edited:
amirm, the guru at AudioScienceReview, when asked how the Topping D50 compared to the D30.

" I have not tested them side by side with listening but I do not expect there to be any gap per-se. The D50 supports new formats which obviates the need for sample rate conversion. If you have such files, then it might be worth upgrading. Otherwise, I would stay with D30. So enjoy your current setup! :)"

I'll wait until someone has actually listened to it--I have a whole pile of past equipment I need to get rid of which "measures great" and sounds...umm, not so great. ;)

Reactions: xdd
Back
Top Bottom