HDMI 4K compatability

I probably have my HDCP problem solved. I got a Sony 60" KD-60X690E 4K TV Tuesday & an Onkyo TX-RZ900 HDCP 2.2 compatible HDMI today. The receiver is probably overkill for what I need, but I got it at a pawn shop for less than 1/3 list price. Going to hook it up in a little while, but I tested it and everything seems functional. Next on my list will be a 4K player. Any sugestions?
Congratulations on the new setup. Highly recommend Oppo players, be it cd DVD or 4k players. Excellent quality excellent company and top notch service. I currently own the udp 203 and have owned the 105/D, 103D and the 83 all excellent with zero issues.

Audiofreak71

I probably have my HDCP problem solved. I got a Sony 60" KD-60X690E 4K TV Tuesday & an Onkyo TX-RZ900 HDCP 2.2 compatible HDMI today. The receiver is probably overkill for what I need, but I got it at a pawn shop for less than 1/3 list price. Going to hook it up in a little while, but I tested it and everything seems functional. Next on my list will be a 4K player. Any suggestions?

OPPO UDP-203~205, is my suggestion gary7..
Excellent build, performance, and support.
Other`s can offer other brand`s, but for me, at least the first of the two, I have first hand experience with..
Good luck with whatever you chose Sir.

Kind regards, OKB

Congratulations on the new setup. Highly recommend Oppo players, be it cd DVD or 4k players. Excellent quality excellent company and top notch service. I currently own the udp 203 and have owned the 105/D, 103D and the 83 all excellent with zero issues.

Audiofreak71
I'll look at that. Sounds just what the Doc ordered.

Audiofreak71
Yes + :thumbsup: + :bigok: + :bowdown: + :beerchug:, and worth every invested dollar IMO/E, FWIW !!

What? It doesn't play HD DVDs? LDs? :);):confused:

As much as they do, you would think they would wash the dishes and fold the laundry as well lol but I think oppo decided to leave that up to the other manufacturers. What they do, they do it the best and have passion for there products, something that is unfortunately overlooked these days in alot of things we buy. Fortunately there are still companies who really do love what they do and it shows in the products they make.

Audiofreak71

Got it hooked up. Using a Sony up-scaling DVD player, receiver having issues with DTS-HD. Tried my Samsung Duo BD-HDDVD player, same thing. Trying updating the firmware now. I'll report back

Last edited:
Finished the firmware update. Seems to have taken care of the DTS-HD issue. Wanted me to set up for DTS-X when I turned it on, said the firmware would add it. I'll do that when I get a 4K player.

If I were king, HDCP would be turned off at the household level upon providing proof that you actually pay for cable and movie subscriptions. I'm not trying to steal movies, I just want to be able to watch TV by the pool side occasionally without having a third cable box and blue ray player. It is going to be bad day when I have to give up my component video and am forced to go back to fighting HDCP via HDMI.

Appreciate the 4K HDPC discussion. It makes keeping my current gear easier given the upgrade chain. The main TV is 4k but none of the sources are....

I had the same issue with my older HT processor. no 1080P. So I sent the video via HDMI directly to the display. Worked like a charm for over a year till I found the pre-owned processor I wanted. Now there is concern for 4k and 8k is right around the corner. So I'll play the waiting game again. I'd like to have one of LG's OLED 75" displays. But I'm waiting for the prices to come down. So my Elite plasmas will have to suffice. They are great on their own with 1080P. But 99%of the network signals can't match the capabilities of the displays via Satellite, so I'm not in a hurry to step up to 4K.

Its like being in the 80's a dealing with Laser discs all over again.

Having trouble getting HDR to work on my Pioneer receiver. New to this site, is this a good thread for that or can anyone link me to a better thread? This thread looked like it was on the same subject matter as the problem I'm having but I very easily could've missed something.

Having trouble getting HDR to work on my Pioneer receiver. New to this site, is this a good thread for that or can anyone link me to a better thread? This thread looked like it was on the same subject matter as the problem I'm having but I very easily could've missed something.
Need more info like the model of your blue ray player what TV do you have model of your pioneer receiver?. Welcome to AK btw, your in the right place.

Audiofreak71

TV is samsumg, cant remember the model number but it's 4k HDR supported. Reciever is a VSX 532, and player is a Samsung UBD-M85000/ZA. Both the hdmi cable running from the reciever to the tv and from the reciever to the player support 4k hdr. However, when watching 4k movies, the player says that while the original signal has hdr it is only outputting sdr through the reciever, as pictured below. unnamed.jpg

TV is samsumg, cant remember the model number but it's 4k HDR supported. Reciever is a VSX 532, and player is a Samsung UBD-M85000/ZA. Both the hdmi cable running from the reciever to the tv and from the reciever to the player support 4k hdr. However, when watching 4k movies, the player says that while the original signal has hdr it is only outputting sdr through the reciever, as pictured below. View attachment 1147587
Have you looked at the manual of your receiver to see if it has a pass through feature so the signal isn't down converted?. Or if you have your settings correct in the receiver?.

Audiofreak71

The only entry in the instruction manual on HDMI setup just talks about disabling/enabling ARC and talks about Standby Through. Doesn't make mention of pass-through or hdr. Can't find anything else detailing HDMI setup in the manualunnamed.jpg

The only entry in the instruction manual on HDMI setup just talks about disabling/enabling ARC and talks about Standby Through. Doesn't make mention of pass-through or hdr. Can't find anything else detailing HDMI setup in the manualView attachment 1147883
Then maybe your receiver doesn't support hdr it may support 4k but if it isn't hdcp 2.2 compliant then it doesn't support hdr. Do you know what year that receiver came out?

Audiofreak71

Back
Top Bottom