MX-1000 "workout"

Thanks for the photos. Looks like you are testing the structural integrity of the CX-1000 and the cd player by stacking them under the MX-1000!

Thanks for the photos. Looks like you are testing the structural integrity of the CX-1000 and the cd player by stacking them under the MX-1000!

structural integrity?? good point but no, not in that photo,

....but in this one: :D

IMG_20170210_232453220.jpg

WARNING!
do not operate your equipment this way and do not try this at home!
World record atempted by professionals (numb-nut = me) for exhibition purpose and bragging rights!

OTHER REASONS:
Why not?

DISCLAIMER:
No Yamahas were hurt during the photoshoot. Definetly no Marantz products were harmed either!

:bigok:

FWIW,
The CX pre is structurally stronger than the MX amp.
The CDX is structurally stronger than the CX pre and heavier
The Marantz SR-9600 receiver is a monster and in a different league in terms of chassis sturdiness when compared to any of these 80' Yamahas
Not even the smallest misalignment on the chassis of any of these components, albeit, they did not stay in this configuration for more than a few mins it took me to place them and take the photo.

As far as the first photos, I never operate any of my equipment stacked...EVER. Not concerned that much because of the structural integrity, since they can easily operate stacked from that perspective, but because of their thermal integrity since they would be slowly backing each other to death if operated stacked.
That CX pre can get very hot, and unlike the superb cooling the MX has, the pre is completely enclosed. That setup was also intended for a photoshoot only, with no load attached to the amp and did not last for more than a few minutes it took me to take few photos.

Last edited:
Nice -- Yamaha/Marantz Jenga!
All you need is one of these to apply the coup de grace.

mayhem.png

striving to be like you when I grow up :)

This rebild was the most extensive MX-1000 rebuild I accomplised to date
Besides the typical recap, and reforming of the main cans, I replaced:
ALL 1/4W carbon resistors (in the entire unit)
ALL semiconductors (in the entire unit)
refloated all solder joint, on all boards
new relays,
new RCAs and audio shielded cables inside
deep cleaning of the pots and switches
New power switch
new copper plated speaker posts (they look like the much cheaper brass ones, but they are not the same)
replaced the bulbs with LEDs

I thought I'd share since I know you would appreciate it :)

Last edited:
I imagine those nice connectors set you back some decent coin? Would you mind sharing your source for them? Very nice work on your on your better than factory refurbishment.

Some very nice work going on over there. :thumbsup:
Thank you!

These MX amps are definetly worth spending the time and effort to get them going for another 40 years.

Edit:
These YAMAHA amps are definetly worth spending the time and effort to get them going for another 40 years.

Last edited:
Those copper plated speaker post looks really good. The original is not so fun.
Would love to se them on my MX-1000. A pm where i could get them would be apriciated.

Mine is still original and sound and works just wonderful.

Those copper plated speaker post looks really good. The original is not so fun.
Would love to se them on my MX-1000. A pm where i could get them would be apriciated.

Mine is still original and sound and works just wonderful.

Good Morning
Yes I would also like to know where to get some of those speaker terminals.
Thanks Jerry

I you're not into making the black boards and drill holes (like me), this Polish guy has nice complete Yamaha specific speaker terminals. I bought a set there for my CA-2000 and I'm very happy with them.

https://speaker-terminal.com/en/produkt/yamaha-mx-1000-speaker-terminal/

Of course, no affiliation with the seller.

I you're not into making the black boards and drill holes (like me), this Polish guy has nice complete Yamaha specific speaker terminals. I bought a set there for my CA-2000 and I'm very happy with them.
https://speaker-terminal.com/en/produkt/yamaha-mx-1000-speaker-terminal/
Of course, no affiliation with the seller.

I used those same terminals for my M-70. Considering the cost of the posts and the work/time to make the mounting boards those prices are actually quite reasonable.

Cheers,
James

Back
Top Bottom