Bicycle Restorations, Builds and ...

Checking back in with some pics of the 1975-76 Raleigh Super Course I picked up a while back. I finally got around to working on it again and finished it up this week. It is a nice ride for sure and I am surprised at how smoothly the Huret derailleurs shift.

IMG_20171202_113258724.jpg

IMG_20171202_113309381.jpg

IMG_20171202_113344855.jpg

Checking back in with some pics of the 1975-76 Raleigh Super Course I picked up a while back. I finally got around to working on it again and finished it up this week. It is a nice ride for sure and I am surprised at how smoothly the Huret derailleurs shift.

View attachment 1057586

View attachment 1057587

View attachment 1057588

This is the era I used to repair bikes in Iowa City. Always liked this bike, easy to adjust and a smooth ride. I remember I found a used one at the time in '79 and bought for the girlfriend.

Picked up a pretty nice (albeit faded) 1987(?) Schwinn Circuit with the Shimano Sante groupset last year that I am currently restoring. I'm not even done putting it back together yet and I've already gotten two offers for it!

This is my gas pipe special, Trek 830. It's a dump rescue. New seat, rack, bottle cage, grips, pedals, tires, & chain, it's my good weather duffer bike. The paint is like new -

SiQZjE4.jpg

IMG_1111.JPG Picture 0291.jpg
Here's a couple I'm working on now. Well, going back to them to restore bit by bit. Radius Hornet 2 from Germany and A Vision R40 handmade in Seattle. I converted the Radius (black) to overseat steering because it was too twitchy with the underseat steering. It's much better now and inspires more confidence for speed. I also have an Actionbent and a Bacchetta Giro highracer and two Rans frames (V-Rex and Stratus) I'm building up this spring. Made the switch to recumbents 2 years ago and I've been riding 15-40 miles a day. These are REALLY fun bikes. They sure do build your legs up fast since you can't stand on climbs. But on the flats and downhills these babies shine. I sure don't miss the neck and back pain from long rides on the diamond bike.

Last edited:
I remember Alpinestars mtbs back in the 90's when I was racing. I should say I remember the brand but not any real particulars about it. I remember them having a good rep back then but that's about it. It wasn't what I had and wasn't what I really lusted after so it wasn't all that bright on my radar.

Wow never heard of that brand sorry , where was it made?

US-made, in the 90s...

here's a pic of a pretty ruined one I gotten last week.
This is a CroMega DX, there also was an ALMega Aluminium version.

11222156_10216332962187634_8344812023436821775_o.jpg

Last edited:
Seeing the picture, I remember the funky rear triangle. Great for mud clearance, not so great when a 200lb gorilla like me grinds on a hill climb and flexes it.

Seeing the picture, I remember the funky rear triangle. Great for mud clearance, not so great when a 200lb gorilla like me grinds on a hill climb and flexes it.
yep, on first ride I felt the cranks swing aside pushing it...

29744963_10216383571332831_3894248720686789989_o.jpg

alot changed (although not visible first sight):

The-before-techie used brake-wire-guides for shifting. makes shifting anprecise and spongy. In addition the shifter itself needed a good cleaning and the rear derailleurs eyelet was bent...
Also the length of the wireguides were almost always way too long, except in one place, to rear derailleur it was way too short. Now shifter works easy, precise, with a clear click... and not like pushing thump into old bread.
brakes were sisassemled, cleaned and greased, but they have horizontal play on the canti-socket. I will check if new sockets would help, if not I have somewhere repair sets for shimano cantilever brakes, but not sure if contained new bushings. But where...i can't find them. Need to clean the place.
Frontwheel was in need of centering, but almost every 3rd nipple was bad and the tinned spokes were rotting. So: new spokes and nipples. The rim turned out as perfectly straight. Rea wheel same game, waiting for the shorter spokes needed.
That adapted ahead-shit I dumped and found an original stem. Bought a nice straight bar.. and that's wat it is now. All wireguides almost as long as needed, as short as possible. Thinking of silver seatpost....

Back
Top Bottom