Worst Headphones Ever??

Chrisxo55441

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a partial tear in my quadriceps above the knee and i went to have an MRI done, the tech/nurse said it would take 20 min and asked if i wanted to listen to some music and i said yes and he put some headphones on. the sound was absolutely the worst all garbled and the only thing that was kind of clear were drums. it was so bad i commented to the tech when i was done. he said that unfortunately metal or wires cant be anywhere in the room. these things give wireless headphones a whole new meaning. i looked at them and they were connected with a clear vinyl tube. not sure how they worked, sound is pump through in the air ???
just thought i would share and see if anyone knows how these work.

I believe they're called Air Tube headphones. There is a speaker at the other end of the chain that sends sound down an air tube.
You can't have any ferrous metals near an MRI machine. They are giant electromagnets. Their magnetic field is strong enough to generate voltage pulses in a coil of copper wire.

Iirc, the Lockheed TriStar I flew with, when I visited the US for the first time in 1993, still had "pneumatic audio"/"air tube headphones". Nothing to write home about in terms of sound quality - but, damn, that TriStar was really comfy, even in the economy class and even for pretty tall folks like me... Nice passenger plane. (Note to myself: Ask uncle Manfred about cockpit comfort level of the F-104.)

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Igrado portables Great name: great sound even : but gee don't they hurt your ears : one album had to take them off. Plus the wire your going to break it no matter how careful you are at some stage.

Last edited:
Alobar: Maybe I'm mistaken, but iirc the ones in the TriStar basically just were open tubes without any additional membranes - so these rather wouldn't qualify as passive radiators.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Yeah I remember those from the MRIs I've had. Still better than any Bose headphones though.

Lafayette had an all acoustic stereophonic integrated cartridge/ tonarm/ sound tubes /stethoscope attachment for a turntable that was an interesting thing to play with back in the 1960s.

Beyond the aforementioned TriStar, wasn’t this style the norm on most commercial airplanes up til maybe the end of the 80s.

I’m almost positive I remember the ‘headphones’ they had for the in flight movies were like modified stethoscopes that plugged into a pair of ‘airholes’ in the armrest. Adjustable volume by restricting airflow with that little wheel.

Pneumatic headphones, they’re apparently called.

Third post down explains them in detail.
https://aviation.stackexchange.com/...ic-headphones-on-airliners-in-the-70s-and-80s

Ah, "Uncle Manfred," I'll bite...Lockheed F-104...wicked fast Mach-2 jet fighter...that glided like a rock? :D

I've had three total quad tendon tears. Right off the kneecap. Nasty injury. The shitty MRI cans are there to distract you from your misery. Stay strong

I've had three total quad tendon tears. Right off the kneecap. Nasty injury. The shitty MRI cans are there to distract you from your misery. Stay strong

yes very painful injury at least i dont need surgery on mine but it sounds like you must of 3 times OUCH!!. i was just going to start therapy on a couple of bad disc in my back when this happened and lying down keeping my leg elevated aggravates the back so i just cant win here.

I have a partial tear in my quadriceps above the knee and i went to have an MRI done, the tech/nurse said it would take 20 min and asked if i wanted to listen to some music and i said yes and he put some headphones on. the sound was absolutely the worst all garbled and the only thing that was kind of clear were drums. it was so bad i commented to the tech when i was done. he said that unfortunately metal or wires cant be anywhere in the room. these things give wireless headphones a whole new meaning. i looked at them and they were connected with a clear vinyl tube. not sure how they worked, sound is pump through in the air ???
just thought i would share and see if anyone knows how these work.

By your description they don't.:D
Hope things work out,just got over a hamstring injury due to getting carried away on a rowing machine.

B_A: My uncle Manfred's first career was jet pilot and later on trainer/teacher for the Bundeswehr Luftwaffe, both over here and in the US - and yes, the F-104 (which over here is known as the "Starfighter") was one of the types he used to fly.

Well, and in case your "glided like a rock" was supposed to allude to the row of accidents with the F-104: As far as I'm aware, that foremost was a "homemade" problem. Iirc, one part of the problem was that especially variant G had different/more avionics installed and became rather "nose-heavy" due to that. But I guess the main part of the problem rather was that our Bundeswehr Luftwaffe had inherited this odd tendency to abuse fighter models for mixed fighter-bomber duty. This is kinda traditional, one might say, 'cause that problem already started with the first German jet fighter, the Me262, which on Hitler's command also already was pressed into the figther-bomber role, due to which it lost its main advantage over the Allied fighter planes, i.e. its superior speed. Good for us, though, 'cause this and quite a few other of Hitler's stupid ideas/interventions actually saved us from an even longer, even more destructive war - or, even worse, from the Nazis actually winning. Anyway, back to the fighter-bomber problem: Later on they even thought about converting the Alpha Jet to that role. The Alpha Jet! Imagine that: A neat little trainer, that's not exactly fast to begin with, in fighter-bomber duty... Gives "ludicrous speed" a new sense. *lol*

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

The headphones my dad used when he flew B-17's, 24's, in ferry service and C-47's and C-54's in the transport command. Those had to be the worst thing ever. I guess I should have kept them, but the last time he used them was 48 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom