Weekly Estate and Garage sale finds (pics)

If anyone just won an estate auction lot with an SX-880 & Dual 1257in the Western PA area - kindly shoot me a message, wanted to chat about the piece of furniture it came with.

Five, six hours maybe? I just felt bad for them really.
Went to an estate sale a there was a lower model Marantz I believe it was a 2230? Went in looked at the price and my eyes bulged out. $700. A couple was looking at it as he saw I passed on it and he told the wife he's going to buy it.
I mentioned "you know you can get one couple hundred cheaper on eBay? Their asking premium price". He was oblivious as one could see it in his eyes.
Oh well. :dunno:

Went to an estate sale a there was a lower model Marantz I believe it was a 2230? Went in looked at the price and my eyes bulged out. $700. A couple was looking at it as he saw I passed on it and he told the wife he's going to buy it.
I mentioned "you know you can get one couple hundred cheaper on eBay? Their asking premium price". He was oblivious as one could see it in his eyes.

That's absolute top dollar mint refurbished price.. About $600 more than what you should be asking at an estate sale.

$700 for a 2230 seems insane. Realistically, though, I'd imagine $200-300 fairly easily at an estate sale, assuming it doesn't have the wood case.

It wasn't mint that's for sure. Lights were out scratches on the wood. I tried. The wife did "listen" or at least was receptive but he was in the zone as they say.

That price is crazy, but a 2230 is "lower" only in terms of wattage. It's one of the best sounding receivers most mortals will ever hear.

$700 for a 2230 seems insane. Realistically, though, I'd imagine $200-300 fairly easily at an estate sale, assuming it doesn't have the wood case.

There seems to be a steady increase in estate sale audio pricing around me. Since last fall anything that will spin a record is priced in the ridiculous zone and that includes combo units and condition unknown. For one company, their prices are always high but get realistic quickly when you price out your pile. Fairly certain they do this to dispel the idea that stuff is going for $1. Other companies though, I can't decide what their "logic" is on how prices are determined. Not complaining mind you just observing.

If you go in on the last day of the sale, or if they are willing to negotiate prices, just forget about whatever ridiculous number they put on the item to begin with. Tell them what you are willing to pay. They will either agree to sell or they won't.

If you go in on the last day of the sale, or if they are willing to negotiate prices, just forget about whatever ridiculous number they put on the item to begin with. Tell them what you are willing to pay. They will either agree to sell or they won't.

Dude...I'm from German/Scottish stock and never embarrassed to throw a pricing brick at someone's head.

Dude...I'm from German/Scottish stock and never embarrassed to throw a pricing brick at someone's head.

I'm part Scottish as well, mixed with some Lithuanian. :beerchug:Comment wasnt directed at you, just a general rule.. Some folks are nervous to throw out a price. Don't be scared, those estate prices are made up!

I'm part Scottish as well, mixed with some Lithuanian. :beerchug:Comment wasnt directed at you, just a general rule.. Some folks are nervous to throw out a price. Don't be scared, those estate prices are made up!

The attitude seems different over the last months around me (~Boston). Could be the strengthening economy + big turnouts for mediocre listings. Don't know, we'll see.

The attitude seems different over the last months around me (~Boston). Could be the strengthening economy + big turnouts for mediocre listings. Don't know, we'll see.

There's a 3pm sale around here today. Turnouts are unpredictable. Sign up sheet at 1pm. I might make it to sign in by 130. I could be anywhere from number 20 to 75. Its also the first sale of the year for this company. It will be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom