Show Off Your Small Listening Space

Do you stack the speakers you are listening to on the ones you are not? As stands?

Not at the moment the sound in the space is pretty nice as is. Plus I’d prefer to not scratch up the finishes repeatedly moving them. This arrangement isn’t a permanent one though. One set will move elsewhere at some point. I do intend to get stands eventually just gotta find a set I like the look of.

Welcome to AK @Ozzman66 !

tenor.gif

...those books are going to rattle right off those Cerwin Vegas once you crank up the Rush! :biggrin: Nice post.

I used padded non-stick shelf matting when I stacked Advents. You can buy the stuff most anywhere.

I went back and re-balanced things mostly because I wasn't happy with the general placement I did end up stacking them but most likely will rarely flip them eventually one of the pairs will probably get moved elsewhere. Plus the A-25s tend to image pretty well even in odd placements and they're deeper than the seventeens so they make more sense on the bottom.

IMG_8741.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8736.JPG
    IMG_8736.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 30
I went back and re-balanced things mostly because I wasn't happy with the general placement I did end up stacking them but most likely will rarely flip them eventually one of the pairs will probably get moved elsewhere.
Don't know if it is practical, but you might try finding a way to move the records to a different location. Right of sofa behind computer? That would enable you to open up the speakers and get them away from the equipment cabinet.

You get a larger, more open image that way.

Don't know if it is practical, but you might try finding a way to move the records to a different location. Right of sofa behind computer? That would enable you to open up the speakers and get them away from the equipment cabinet.

You get a larger, more open image that way.

Not really practical for the time being I may shift them further apart as much as I can. Have to make the best possible use of the limited space for now. I plan to either replace the tall shelf with two double stack cubes from Target I like better and/or replace cabinet with a media console. Just not something I can do immediately with a baby on the way. The seventeens may move back into the bedroom eventually to be used as remotes but that's not likely for the time being. I'll probably just sell the tall one or give it to a friend.

Last edited:
The key is opening up the area around the speaker and avoiding cabinet diffraction which negatively impacts the soundstage.

I generally set them slightly forward of the cabinet and much further forward of the shelf. With the seventeens that raised lip seems narrow the arc on them a little bit. Also did end up going back and adjusting the shelf and speakers out as much as was feasible.

Cramped, true. I'm betting that the sound you're getting from the Polks during near-field listening proves quite engaging, whether it's via the PC or receiver. Also: Welcome to AK, imral3.

Right now the PC is feeding into the receiver via the sound card. USB DAC will be here on Friday!!

Long time lurker here...this is my modest setup in a 12’X12’ listening space.View media item 14278Here is my sometime listening companion...I think he just wants food at the moment...View media item 14279Receiver is a Pioneer SX-770, turntable is an AR-XA (cleaned up, but no mods) with a Shure M91ED cartridge and Jico N91ED stylus, New Large Advent speakers...View media item 14280View media item 14281a BIC Beam Box is my FM antenna, tape deck is a Luxman K-220, CD player is a JVC XL-Z444, a BSR spectrum analyzer...View media item 14282Spent the last month and a half decluttering and rearranging, and I can finally spend my days off just listening and NOT planning, though in the back of my mind I ponder sound absorption and whether or not I need a DAC...View media item 14283View media item 14284View media item 14285

Back
Top Bottom