Sansui G7000 tuner problem

anderslober

Yikes...not again!
Hi again Forum,
I have a g7k here that needed a total recap. All is done, except the big caps...they will have to go too.

Anyway.....as always the darn tuner is giving me a hard time...all voltages are fine. Tuner is recapped. All caps orientation double checked and rechecked.

It can tune.....but reluctantly. When I put my finger on TP1 and tune......everything is normal...stereo light comes on....signal meter works....all is good. When I remove my finger from TP1.....signal meter goes dead and stereo light doesnt work...and there is only sound if FM mute is OFF.

I have not touched anything on the tuner except the caps. The frontend is absolutely filthy with nicotine...

Any good ideas

I have bought some big cans....NCC....screw mount....but they came with no screws!:-( What size is standard...m5...m6?......8mm long...? Thanks...

I have bought some big cans....NCC....screw mount....but they came with no screws!:-( What size is standard...m5...m6?......8mm long...? Thanks...

I think you will have to find this out by trial and error, as it could be anything around those sizes. Measure the depth of the screw hole carefully - then you'll have the length. Then try known screw sizes in the threads which should screw in with fingers only (i.e. no forcing) - until you find one that fits perfectly. :) This is of course unless you know someone with some thread gauges, who should be able find out almost immediately, no matter what the thread size is. ;)

John...how are ya`? I wont be needing the nice caps that I bought....because the g7k has friggin` dual caps. I have do make a construct now.........

The unit has low-level hum, independent of volume......so I think the big caps have to go. I have checked all grounding.....and its fine.

Any ideas on the tuner issue? Tuner works fine...IF my finger or a probe is on TP1......

Last edited:
I think that 3sk41 is bad.... and about restoring dual caps, please look at my web site, article "Sansui G701 Receiver"... there you will find interesting pictures about restoring G701 (G7000), and how I did restoration on main dual-caps.

Last edited:
Anders!! Great to see you here again.

Yes I agree with Kale that the FET will be bad, and you are able to get it working again by loading it down with your finger.

I do not think it will be an adjustment, of all the tuners I have aligned, which is quite a lot now, the IF adjustment is normally very good, unless someone has been in there fiddling.
Even if its off a bit, it will not have as dramatic effect as you are having.

I have a G7000 on the bench with a Tuner fault as well. If you wouldn't mind, would you be able take a voltage reading on Pin 11 and Pin 12, (orange and red), they are right at the front of that tuner board. (front of the G7000).
Also could you take a picture of the termination of Pin 11 and 12 on the Copper Track side of the board.
This one I have here is a mess.....
I'd really appreciate if you could do that.

I'll look up a sub for the 3SK41 in the meantime.

Also, did you replace the four 100Ω resistors on the EQ board which are in line with the +/- DC supplies? They are fusible and go hiΩ which stops the Phono inputs working.

Anders, there are some NOS 3SK41's on the Bay at the moment, they are in the US, and I believe they will probably be the real article. Still got 7 available....

Hey Kevin.....yes....I can do that. Tomorrow. Its night now here in Denmark...

I will get a new FET....I hope its just that.

Yes..I definitely replaced the 4 fusibles on the EQ board.

Next will be a big can operation like Kale`s.

Be sure to take antistatic precautions when replacing that mosfet! Wear a grounded wrist strap, short the pins together with a wire if possible, until it is soldered in. If not possible to short the pins, solder the Source, then Drains then Gates.

Be sure to take antistatic precautions when replacing that mosfet! Wear a grounded wrist strap, short the pins together with a wire if possible, until it is soldered in. If not possible to short the pins, solder the Source, then Drains then Gates.
Excellent advice Warren!!

Antistatic band..check. Darn expensive those 3sk41´s!

Kale....how did you `glue` the new caps in the cans?

Kale....how did you `glue` the new caps in the cans?
With just few dots of silicone glue for electronic....

I am going to put pictures of restoring dual caps here...

24941085717_33148ac13b_b.jpg

24941086077_144c0cff0e_b.jpg

38912461545_a3cc8b3ac7_b.jpg

39258991574_aa17992d70_b.jpg

39969136061_c6a2992ab2_b.jpg

39258991384_b6859fa022_b.jpg

View attachment 1151716 Kevin....Pin11 and Pin12 are co-connected by the same red wire. I have 12.5vdc. Both pins of course.
Thanks Anders,I really appreciate you taking the time to do that for me, interesting, your one is a bit different than the one I have here, but it did tell me what I need to know...
Mine had the main tuning capacitor trimmer caps shorting out on the shield that surrounds it....
That was tricky to find...
Then we have this situation where the tuning is out by about 6mhz, cant adjust it down, so now I have to chase this fault around .....
Fun fun fun!!

I like the way Kale did those multi-caps, very impressive.....

Back
Top Bottom