Zu Audio Owners Thread

HiFiJeff

Well I thought there should be a ZU Audio Owners Thread to go a long with all the other owners threads including that other full range speaker company out of Utah, which I owned two different models from them. :)
The M-Lores and the Pendragon's.
But I have now switched camps and am the proud owner of some electric blue ZU Audio Omen Dirty Weekends! Have had them exactly 3 weeks today.
I just wanted to say thanks to the guys at ZU Audio, they were a joy to deal with and in specific, Gerrit. He helped me from initial questions all the way to ordering and them being delivered.

I first heard ZU Audio speakers a few years back at RMAF with Peachtree Audio amps. Was impressed from the beginning. I go to RMAF every year and ZU's room is one of the funnest and coolest rooms to visit at the show, after 2017's show, I really decided to give them a try in my own home. And I am sure glad that I did. I have a smile on my face every single time I play music now. I went a long time without playing 2 channel music because I had some bookshelf speakers that I was just not that happy with. Well I am back to enjoying music to it's fullest and then some. I am pulling out all my go to cd's that I know inside and out, at least I thought that I did, I am hearing some nuances that I didn't even know were there. I wanted to make this short because I can ramble on forever but I am loving theses speakers!

Lets start with fit and finish. These speakers are well built, solid and just absolutely stunning and beautiful. Pictures can't show you the fit and finish on these. They don't look cheap in anyway. And the electric blue is a deep lustrous blue. I have had friends come over and they love the look.

Sound. Well everything I want is there. These speakers are immediate and very fast. They for sure have that live quick sound to them. They are not laid back, mellow or reserved. Not overly bright or harsh sounding but the highs are really there. It almost as if other speakers sound like they have a blanket over the tweeters. Cymbals crash and decay the way they are supposed to, snare drums have that snap to them and guitars are just so right. There is a cd I love, B.B King and Eric Clapton, "Riding With the King." This is the best I have ever heard this cd sound. I was watching a Nine Inch Nails concert on Blu-Ray, "Beside You in Time" and there were some drum beats that I have never heard before and I have watched this concert multiple times. I had to pause it because I thought someone was banging on my door or walls, nope, it was the Blu-Ray. I want to give them more time to burn in and I have also just ordered a new TPA 3118 chip amp that I want to try with them because right now, I am running them off a simple Marantz NR-1508 AVR in pure direct mode when listening to 2 channel. I am going to assume that his new TPA-3118 will best it for 2 channel audio and really show what the DW's can do.

Anyway, I am a very pleased ZU owner and am ordering another set for my main home theater room. Stay tuned for further impressions! But I want to converse and share thoughts and opinions on all things related to ZU. What a greta company! Thanks Sean and Gerrit and everyone else at ZU for making affordable true high end speakers!

I've got some Omen Dirty Weekends on order. For years I've been reading the love them or hate them views on Zu. I figured it'd be fun to see where I stood on the sound. I'm guessing I'll have them in the next few weeks.

Well I thought there should be a ZU Audio Owners Thread to go a long with all the other owners threads including that other full range speaker company out of Utah, which I owned two different models from them. :)
The M-Lores and the Pendragon's.
But I have now switched camps and am the proud owner of some electric blue ZU Audio Omen Dirty Weekends! Have had them exactly 3 weeks today.
I just wanted to say thanks to the guys at ZU Audio, they were a joy to deal with and in specific, Gerrit. He helped me from initial questions all the way to ordering and them being delivered.

I first heard ZU Audio speakers a few years back at RMAF with Peachtree Audio amps. Was impressed from the beginning. I go to RMAF every year and ZU's room is one of the funnest and coolest rooms to visit at the show, after 2017's show, I really decided to give them a try in my own home. And I am sure glad that I did. I have a smile on my face every single time I play music now. I went a long time without playing 2 channel music because I had some bookshelf speakers that I was just not that happy with. Well I am back to enjoying music to it's fullest and then some. I am pulling out all my go to cd's that I know inside and out, at least I thought that I did, I am hearing some nuances that I didn't even know were there. I wanted to make this short because I can ramble on forever but I am loving theses speakers!

Lets start with fit and finish. These speakers are well built, solid and just absolutely stunning and beautiful. Pictures can't show you the fit and finish on these. They don't look cheap in anyway. And the electric blue is a deep lustrous blue. I have had friends come over and they love the look.

Sound. Well everything I want is there. These speakers are immediate and very fast. They for sure have that live quick sound to them. They are not laid back, mellow or reserved. Not overly bright or harsh sounding but the highs are really there. It almost as if other speakers sound like they have a blanket over the tweeters. Cymbals crash and decay the way they are supposed to, snare drums have that snap to them and guitars are just so right. There is a cd I love, B.B King and Eric Clapton, "Riding With the King." This is the best I have ever heard this cd sound. I was watching a Nine Inch Nails concert on Blu-Ray, "Beside You in Time" and there were some drum beats that I have never heard before and I have watched this concert multiple times. I had to pause it because I thought someone was banging on my door or walls, nope, it was the Blu-Ray. I want to give them more time to burn in and I have also just ordered a new TPA 3118 chip amp that I want to try with them because right now, I am running them off a simple Marantz NR-1508 AVR in pure direct mode when listening to 2 channel. I am going to assume that his new TPA-3118 will best it for 2 channel audio and really show what the DW's can do.

Anyway, I am a very pleased ZU owner and am ordering another set for my main home theater room. Stay tuned for further impressions! But I want to converse and share thoughts and opinions on all things related to ZU. What a greta company! Thanks Sean and Gerrit and everyone else at ZU for making affordable true high end speakers!

So which TPA3118 did you order?

I've got some Omen Dirty Weekends on order. For years I've been reading the love them or hate them views on Zu. I figured it'd be fun to see where I stood on the sound. I'm guessing I'll have them in the next few weeks.

Yeah, I have read the same things online. Different strokes for different folks. But all of teh things that people said they were hating about ZU speakers, I am not experiencing those issues with the DW's.

The one you suggested of course. LOL :)

https://www.allo.com/sparky/volt-plus-stepped-attenuator.html

While I don't own their speakers yet I did get a pair mission speaker cables they make and I'm very pleased with the quality they exude, look good, sound good and just feel great in the hand. I realized today I have never bought myself new speakers, used vintage only.

I'm heavily considering the Omen or Dirty Weekend to be my first ever new purchase. Been reading over the website quite a bit the last few days.

While I don't own their speakers yet I did get a pair mission speaker cables they make and I'm very pleased with the quality they exude, look good, sound good and just feel great in the hand. I realized today I have never bought myself new speakers, used vintage only.

I'm heavily considering the Omen or Dirty Weekend to be my first ever new purchase. Been reading over the website quite a bit the last few days.

Since getting my Dirty Weekends along with Allo Volt Plus amp, I can't stop listening to my music collection! I can't even watch the shows I have been wanting to watch and played very little Destiny 2 this weekend. It's now consumed my weekends. I guess that's why they call them the Dirty Weekends! Perfect name!

7.62, just buy them. You have the speaker cable, now you just need the speaker. You won't be disappointed.

I would love to hear a set some day. I'm in the camp of high efficiency these days and really feel the Audio business did a good job over the years of strangling the life out of most conventional loudspeakers. The answer for many people wanting lively palpability has been planars and stats. The trade off being a head in a vise sweet spot with poor off axis response. Zu has had a lot of intersting designs over the years, somehow I've never heard any. Of course, in the wilds there are no Audio shows. :)

My Zu DW's arrived this weekend and have been listening to them. So far I like what I hear. First speakers I've had in my listening room in quite awhile where I didn't have an urge to immediately put my Omegas back in.

My Zu DW's arrived this weekend and have been listening to them. So far I like what I hear. First speakers I've had in my listening room in quite awhile where I didn't have an urge to immediately put my Omegas back in.

There pretty good huh. What Omega's do you own? I had the 3XRS supercharged with the built in 8inch sub.

There pretty good huh. What Omega's do you own? I had the 3XRS supercharged with the built in 8inch sub.

I've got some Omegas with the RS5 driver and then also the Alnico Monitors. Compared to the Alnicos, the Zus definitely go a little bit lower in the bass and have more air than the Alnicos but the Alnicos seem to have more texture and provide more information around all the sounds. They also have a more "direct" sound to them...for example vocals just seem a bit more "there" with the Omegas than on the Zus. No question, the Zus can rock out more if that's your thing and they can unravel complex music a little better too when you turn the volume up.

With a solid state amp, I think I prefer the Zus, but with tubes, I like the Omegas. There's something very special about Omega speakers and tubes.

Back
Top Bottom