Record Cleaning: Developing the Best Possible Methods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help everyone!
I'm trying to go by weight rather than volume (since I have a $10 digital scale, and no cylinders or pipets).

5% IPA 99% (50mL=39.3g, density 0.786 g/mL)
0.5% Triton X-100 (5mL=5.3g, density 1.061 g/mL)
0.05% quat (.5mL=.45g, density 0.9g/mL, but only 80% pure so 0.56g quat, the rest 0.12g is alcohol I think)
EDTA (3.4mM=1g=1.1mL, density 0.9g/mL)
94% deionized water (943.4mL=943.4g, density 1g/mL)

Does the math work for 1-L of cleaning solution? Am I in the ballpark?

... since I have ... no cylinders or pipets...

This raises something I've been curious about... what do you all typically use to measure out these chemicals/solutions? There are references throughout about using pipettes ... and some folks mentioned throwing the pipette away after a single use.

Are there other convenient yet accurate ways (without contaminating)?

What about reuse? (Dishwasher or boiling with a good rinse? I assume dishwasher would leave residue...)

Thanks!

(And... YEA, I finally finished reading the whole thread!)

Last edited:
Like doodahman said

For me, it is a lot easier to put a 1-L container (pyrex) on a $10 digital scale (below), clean it with IPA, and just add ingredients.
https://www.amazon.com/AMIR-Back-Li...pID=41QZcIegWFL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Processing for making 1-L cleaning solution
  1. Pre-rinse 1-L glassware with IPA, boil deionized water
  2. Start with IPA (5% solution, 50ml, 39.3g) — TOTAL 39.3g
  3. add Triton X-100 (0.5% solution, 5ml, 5.3g) — TOTAL 44.6g
  4. add hot deionized water (94% solution, 943.4ml, 943.4g) — TOTAL 988.0g
  5. add Quat (0.05% solution, 0.5ml, 0.45g, 0.56g of 80% pure) — TOTAL 988.56g
  6. add EDTA (3.4mM, 1g) — TOTAL 989.56g

I do this fresh, each time I want to sit down and clean a bunch of records.
(Although I'm still not sure I have the volume->weights quite right. Any help there? Thanks!)

Just stop by a pharmacy, talk to the pharmacist and tell them you're blending a record cleaning solution, and need something that will accurately measure very small dosage. They have disposable non-needle syringes they'll give you for free. Get a couple.

You're welcome.

What is a low-cost product to reduce static and does that leave any residue after a double rinse, and if it doesn't (leave a residue), how does it work at reducing static after being rinsed?

Last edited:
Any product in your solution that has a polar quality will leave a molecular layer behind, this layer is not removable with a water rinse, and does not really qualify as a residue. It is just the way things work at that level. The molecular layer of the quat will put a different polarity on the record surface, resulting in your anti-static characteristic. I'm not a chemist, and my terminology may be a bit off, but the principle stands.

Enjoy,
Rich P

What is the maximum safe temperature for cleaning records? I use enzyme as well as the US solution at 35'C, but, I have read some people use 45'C. I would think that the higher the temp, the better cleaning results as long as the temp does not damage records.
Also, I have been cleaning my records very thoroughly following Rushton method. Yet, after playing one side of a cleaned record, I still see a dust-ball on the stylus. I assume this is airborne dust that sits on the record while it is being played. Are there any suggestions for minimizing airborne dust in the music room? eg. do ionic air purifiers (such as Ionic breeze) help?

So, I mixed up the recipe and cleaned a couple records. Great success, other than a little crackle in the ending dead wax. Probably need a little more care on the center area for both rinsing and scrubbing. I don't currently have label protectors.
BUT, on another note, here is what I found after the cleaning. About an hour passed. I didn't disassemble the syringe after measuring the triton, only rinsed it with the alcohol as I measured it. Assuming a reaction with the seal swelled it and created too much pressure for the plastic. Not sure what the seal is made of but it doesn't like either the alcohol or the triton. Any thoughts?
IMG_1582.JPG IMG_1583.JPG IMG_1584.JPG

By the way the Emerson, Lake and Palmer album "Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends" has never sounded better. This because it is one of my very oldest and I didn't have a good a good system back when it was CLEAN the first time around. It was really bad, like an old AM radio on a distant station before cleaning.
Can't wait to revive some of my other classics that I rarely play because they are so noisy.

So, I mixed up the recipe and cleaned a couple records. Great success, other than a little crackle in the ending dead wax. Probably need a little more care on the center area for both rinsing and scrubbing. I don't currently have label protectors.
BUT, on another note, here is what I found after the cleaning. About an hour passed. I didn't disassemble the syringe after measuring the triton, only rinsed it with the alcohol as I measured it. Assuming a reaction with the seal swelled it and created too much pressure for the plastic. Not sure what the seal is made of but it doesn't like either the alcohol or the triton. Any thoughts?
View attachment 1137269 View attachment 1137270 View attachment 1137271
Yes, get yourself some disposable pipettes from Amazon. They are dirt cheap

Last edited:
One thing I've noticed with the combo of scrub/ultrasonic/rinse-vacuum is that in some cases a record needs a playback or two to sound its best. There may be some (very miniscule) loosened bits still clinging for life and only the pressure of the diamond can dislodge them. The one's that don't are simply toast.

Can we revisit the Finish Jet-Dry debate? I’ve always wondered how some Jet-Dry would affect the performance of a Klaudio ultrasonic machine. In theory, it seems like a simple (and ideal) additive. Borrowed from another site (interjected with my own commentary)…

Finish Jet-Dry rinse aid has a bunch of stuff in it, but it isn’t complicated, really. Here’s a rundown of the contents:
  • Water is necessary to dissolve all the other stuff.
  • Alcohol ethoxylate is a nonionic (uncharged) surfactant that helps the water slide off your dishes better and thus helps them dry faster. For record cleaning, this sounds like a good thing.
  • Sodium polycarboxylate is an anti-redeposition polymer that wraps itself around the crud that the dishwasher just washed off so that the bits don’t get stuck again on your dishes. For a ultrasonic machine like a Klaudio (which dried the LP with a fan), this also sounds like a good thing.
  • Citric acid, which RB (the company that makes Jet-Dry) calls a complexing / sequestering agent, is really good at grabbing calcium ions out of hard water. Calcium can bind with surfactants and keep them from cleaning and rinsing dishes, so citric acid acts as kind of a sacrificial lamb to keep calcium from interfering. Since we're generally using distilled water, this issue should be minimal.
  • Sodium cumene sulfonate is another surfactant but with an electric charge, so it’s a bit better at breaking water’s surface tension on your dishes than alcohol ethoxylate, but it’s also more foamy. Foam is bad in a rinse aid (and, for a ultrasonic machine like a Klaudio), so that’s why such products use both kinds of surfactant.
  • Tetrasodium EDTA is a chelating agent. EDTA is short for ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid. It’s this funky-looking molecule that wraps its four arms around dissolved minerals in the water (such as calcium). The word chelate comes from the Greek word for “claw,” so you can imagine this molecule sinking its claws into minerals and whisking them away, similar to what citric acid does. Again, this seems like a good additive.
  • Methylisothiazolinone and methylchloroisothiazolinone (aka MI and MCI) are both preservatives, meaning they keep bacteria from growing in your bottle of rinse aid. Both are capable of causing skin allergies and are sensitizers, meaning that if you’re exposed to them over and over again, you can develop an allergy. But since rinse aid doesn’t sit on your skin and washes away completely from your dishes, I wouldn’t worry about it here.
  • CI Acid Blue 9 is dye. It makes the rinse aid blue. Why does it need to be blue? I have no idea, although colored solutions are easier to see in that little rinse-aid compartment.
Now, I know there's been some concern about the acidity of Finish Jet Dry, but according to the SDS, the pH is 2.8 to 3.2 [Conc. (% w/w): 100%], so at at 1000:1 dilution ratio, the pH would approach (but not reach) 7. Correct?

Well...someone had to try it. But what's a repeatable test? I'm not saying the following is definitive (or even valid), but here's what I've done and my very, very early conclusions...

I've noticed that the Klaudio's KD-CLN-LP200 isn't very good at removing fingerprints from an LP, so I pulled out my Hi-Fi News Analog Test LP, wiped the side of my nose, and put a greasy fingerprint on the blank area between tracks 5 and 6 on Side 1.

To cut to the chase, after a 5-minute clean cycle with a 1000:1 dilution ratio (1 ml Finish Jet-Dry to 1 liter of distilled water), the fingerprint was completely gone. Distilled water alone will *not* remove the greasy finger print. An approximate 2000:1 dilution ratio wouldn't *completely* remove the fingerprint. I think an approximate 1500:1 to 1200:1 dilution ratio *could* do it, but 1000:1 is easier to mix (three 1/4 teaspoons per gallon of distilled water which is 1024:1).

Now, I'm not a chemist...so I'm throwing this out there for someone far smarter than I to comment. Thoughts?

Can we revisit the Finish Jet-Dry debate? I’ve always wondered how some Jet-Dry would affect the performance of a Klaudio ultrasonic machine. In theory, it seems like a simple (and ideal) additive. Borrowed from another site (interjected with my own commentary)…

Finish Jet-Dry rinse aid has a bunch of stuff in it, but it isn’t complicated, really. Here’s a rundown of the contents:
  • Water is necessary to dissolve all the other stuff.
  • Alcohol ethoxylate is a nonionic (uncharged) surfactant that helps the water slide off your dishes better and thus helps them dry faster. For record cleaning, this sounds like a good thing.
  • Sodium polycarboxylate is an anti-redeposition polymer that wraps itself around the crud that the dishwasher just washed off so that the bits don’t get stuck again on your dishes. For a ultrasonic machine like a Klaudio (which dried the LP with a fan), this also sounds like a good thing.
  • Citric acid, which RB (the company that makes Jet-Dry) calls a complexing / sequestering agent, is really good at grabbing calcium ions out of hard water. Calcium can bind with surfactants and keep them from cleaning and rinsing dishes, so citric acid acts as kind of a sacrificial lamb to keep calcium from interfering. Since we're generally using distilled water, this issue should be minimal.
  • Sodium cumene sulfonate is another surfactant but with an electric charge, so it’s a bit better at breaking water’s surface tension on your dishes than alcohol ethoxylate, but it’s also more foamy. Foam is bad in a rinse aid (and, for a ultrasonic machine like a Klaudio), so that’s why such products use both kinds of surfactant.
  • Tetrasodium EDTA is a chelating agent. EDTA is short for ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid. It’s this funky-looking molecule that wraps its four arms around dissolved minerals in the water (such as calcium). The word chelate comes from the Greek word for “claw,” so you can imagine this molecule sinking its claws into minerals and whisking them away, similar to what citric acid does. Again, this seems like a good additive.
  • Methylisothiazolinone and methylchloroisothiazolinone (aka MI and MCI) are both preservatives, meaning they keep bacteria from growing in your bottle of rinse aid. Both are capable of causing skin allergies and are sensitizers, meaning that if you’re exposed to them over and over again, you can develop an allergy. But since rinse aid doesn’t sit on your skin and washes away completely from your dishes, I wouldn’t worry about it here.
  • CI Acid Blue 9 is dye. It makes the rinse aid blue. Why does it need to be blue? I have no idea, although colored solutions are easier to see in that little rinse-aid compartment.
Now, I know there's been some concern about the acidity of Finish Jet Dry, but according to the SDS, the pH is 2.8 to 3.2 [Conc. (% w/w): 100%], so at at 1000:1 dilution ratio, the pH would approach (but not reach) 7. Correct?

Well...someone had to try it. But what's a repeatable test? I'm not saying the following is definitive (or even valid), but here's what I've done and my very, very early conclusions...

I've noticed that the Klaudio's KD-CLN-LP200 isn't very good at removing fingerprints from an LP, so I pulled out my Hi-Fi News Analog Test LP, wiped the side of my nose, and put a greasy fingerprint on the blank area between tracks 5 and 6 on Side 1.

To cut to the chase, after a 5-minute clean cycle with a 1000:1 dilution ratio (1 ml Finish Jet-Dry to 1 liter of distilled water), the fingerprint was completely gone. Distilled water alone will *not* remove the greasy finger print. An approximate 2000:1 dilution ratio wouldn't *completely* remove the fingerprint. I think an approximate 1500:1 to 1200:1 dilution ratio *could* do it, but 1000:1 is easier to mix (three 1/4 teaspoons per gallon of distilled water which is 1024:1).

Now, I'm not a chemist...so I'm throwing this out there for someone far smarter than I to comment. Thoughts?
have you read the thread from the beginning? using the supplied experience and testing from guest110, I've had the best sounding 40+ year old vinyl i could imagine.

@jbailey930,

Yes, I actually did read this thread from the beginning.

The quote from @guest110 that jumped out at me was, "Whoa, Jetdri is mostly Citric Acid and has a pH of 1." This could be interpreted as "Finish Jet-Dry has a pH of 1" or "Citric Acid has a pH of 1". It's the fear of using an acid-based solution with a pH of 1 (and concern about etching) that caused concern.

According to the referenced SDS, Finish Jet-Dry as a pH of 2.8 to 3.2 [Conc. (% w/w): 100%], so @guest110 must have been referring to the pH of a specified concentration of citric acid. A 1000:1 dilution ratio of Jet-Dry helps as well. Also, I haven't seen a breakdown of the contents of Finish Jet-Dry. Hence why I'm bringing it back up.

Maybe I missed something...completely plausible when perusing 1,677 posts. :)

@jbailey930,

Yes, I actually did read this thread from the beginning.

The quote from @guest110 that jumped out at me was, "Whoa, Jetdri is mostly Citric Acid and has a pH of 1." This could be interpreted as "Finish Jet-Dry has a pH of 1" or "Citric Acid has a pH of 1". It's the fear of using an acid-based solution with a pH of 1 (and concern about etching) that caused concern.

According to the referenced SDS, Finish Jet-Dry as a pH of 2.8 to 3.2 [Conc. (% w/w): 100%], so @guest110 must have been referring to the pH of a specified concentration of citric acid. A 1000:1 dilution ratio of Jet-Dry helps as well. Also, I haven't seen a breakdown of the contents of Finish Jet-Dry. Hence why I'm bringing it back up.

Maybe I missed something...completely plausible when perusing 1,677 posts. :)

Firstly, a 1:1000 dilution of a pH 2.8 solution results in a pH 5.8 solution, still acidic (citric acid solutions have buffering capacity, it's triprotic with pKa1 = 3.13. pKa2 = 4.76. pKa3 = 6.4....you'd have a hard time getting to 7 diluting with pure water). Secondly, effective ingredients are also diluted 1000-fold so you end up with very low concentrations of some of the secondary beneficial chemicals you listed. Thirdly, and most important, is that the Jet Dry mix, particularly at low pH, is loaded with anionics. One of the central hypotheses presented early in this thread is that anionics contribute to issues with static charge. Finally, there may be more ingredients in Jet dry than they list (see https://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=18001414), many with unknown interactions with vinyl records. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you are testing it, but it should be compared to cleaning solutions of pure ingredients in a scientific way to understand whether it brings anything to the table. Despite the charge concerns, the inclusion of a hydrotrope like NaCS to a detergent mix could prove to be advantageous (BTW, it reduces foaming, not increases as your previous post suggests).

Here's a quick reference to where I'm getting my supplies (also, listed for confirmation that I'm getting the right stuff):

Hepastat 256 - https://www.quill.com/brighton-prof...r-handy-mix-dilutable-64-oz/cbs/51805647.html
EDTA - https://www.amazon.com/MakingCosmet...F8&qid=1522762832&sr=8-8&keywords=edta+powder
Triton X-100 - https://www.amazon.com/Triton-X-100...8&qid=1522762867&sr=1-4&keywords=triton+x-100
ISO - I'll go get it at my local Walgreens
Distilled Water - I'll go get it at my local Walgreens

And then I'll use Nathan's spreadsheet referenced in #1624 (but use 1/2 of the concentration because I'll try this in my Klaudio ultrasonic machine).

This is just a summary for those who arrive to the party later than I. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom