If things seem to good to be true...

Satch

Audiotinkerer
Just venting a little bit. Picked up a pair of Quadral Argent 80's. When picking them up, the seller assured me they were in good nick. No chance to listen, but they looked good. Damn, real monsters, bigger (and way heavier) than I anticipated. Anyway, took them home, hauled them up the stairs (muscles are still aching) and finally had the chance to take a good look. Apart from missing one of the bi-wiring links nothing too bad. Then pulled of the grilles and... Hmmmm... one of the tweeters looked suspicious. So I took a screwdriver and found...
quadral-4.jpg

quadral-6.jpg

quadral-7.jpg

quadral-9.jpg

Somebody replaced the original tweeter with a cheap piezotweeter, glued to the original frontplate. The metal dome was glued to the inside of the protectionplate, so at a first glance everything looked OK. Of course the seller didn't knew anything about it...
So the lesson is: always, ALWAYS check the goods before parting with your money.

Last edited:
No, just the one, the other is OK. And yes, they're probably worth it and I paid a good (read: low) price for it, but still I'm annoyed.

In your first pic the original looks crinkled or cracked in the top right of the outside radius.

Been there. Pair of Powered Advents (NLA) with an Advent 300 receiver. "Everything works, except for a broken tweeter switch". Umm, yeah. Noting worked.

Once bitten, twice shy...

Minus the shady bullshit in regard to the tweeter, you still managed to pick up a floorstanding loudspeaker bearing a great range of frequencies reproduced. Most of the pairs I've seen tend to bottom out between 35 and 40 Hz. The following image is from Austrian retailer Willhaben:

Argent 80.jpg
28 Hz to 22 kHz is nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited:
Well, some good news. Quadral didn't have the exact same tweeter, only newer replacements which means I had to buy two tweeters, which was a bit too rich for my blood. But searching our Craigs List ('Marktplaats') I managed to find two matching tweeters. They'll be here next week, can't wait!

Clipboard01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom