Marantz 2270 Help

sajjad amer

Hello everyone
I have bought 2270 in an auction as spares or repairs. It has sound on both channels, tuner works and it is unmolested with original transistors. However there are a few issues I would like help with please
  • power button has been shorted/bypassed, all three wires are soldered together, I have taken out the original switch, disassembled it and it works. I just do not know which color wire goes where and if both rows of contacts need to be jumpered ? Google pictures of switch shows switches with 6 solder points but my original switch has only 4.
  • none of the lamps work except 2 bulbs behind stereo sign. I have checked the original fuse type lamps and they do work with 7v ac supply out side socket. Searching through this forum for similar problems, experts say to check "tap from transformer" what is that and how do I check on P800 board?
  • 8 way RCA jack at the back is split in half and I need to replace it, is there a new part available which could be a drop in replacement?
  • I am going to recap it and there is a nice thread by @Leestereo which I will follow but there are not many transistor replacements in that rebuild. This is my first Marantz but previously when I have restored Pioneer, Kenwood or Yamaha I had to change almost all transistors with modern day equivalents, specially on driver boards and power supply. Can the experts point me in right direction if there are any MUST DO mods?
Many Thanks in advance

I'm not sure if this photo is a 2270, but it is a 22xx series and pretty typical of a Marantz power switch and snubber. You can see if the wire colors match up and decide if it is the same as yours. I have a 2270 parts unit that has the RCA strips intact. If you will PM me and tell me exactly which one is broken, I'll be happy to send it to you. As for lamps...is yours a European unit? Those units have extra fuses and I believe one of them serves the lamps. See if you have a small board with a few fuses on it - or possibly they are on the power supply board.
Steve

Marantz switch.jpg

I'm not sure if this photo is a 2270, but it is a 22xx series and pretty typical of a Marantz power switch and snubber. You can see if the wire colors match up and decide if it is the same as yours. I have a 2270 parts unit that has the RCA strips intact. If you will PM me and tell me exactly which one is broken, I'll be happy to send it to you. As for lamps...is yours a European unit? Those units have extra fuses and I believe one of them serves the lamps. See if you have a small board with a few fuses on it - or possibly they are on the power supply board.
Steve

View attachment 1155184
Thank you for helping me out. There are 2 differences, 1 the switch has 6 solder points and mine has 4 , secondly I have 3 wires orange, brown and yellow. At least with this picture I can see that both terminals are jumpered and how to attach a snubber.
Mine is a European unit and there are 4 fuses just above the power supply board and they all check fine on continuity test. Is there another board with hidden fuse for lights?

According to the euro 2270 schematic all illumination except stereo light pulls straight from fuse FR04 with a green wire coming from the transformer. The stereo light looks like it originates at J806, the low voltage output on the P800 board.

I would carefully probe either side of fuse FR04 and see if voltage is arriving at the fuse and getting beyond it. If not getting voltage from the green wire then maybe a transformer problem? If voltage is going through the fuse then some issue with wires or connections downstream.

...Mine is a European unit and there are 4 fuses just above the power supply board and they all check fine on continuity test. Is there another board with hidden fuse for lights?
If you are measuring continuity in situ, you may be just measuring the secondary winding, the fuse may still be blown.

I took out each and every fuse out of socket and tested for continuity. 2 were 3.5A and 2 1A.
@MBuras thank you I will report back my findings.

It was wiring issue with green wire, cold solder joint at the junction with dial light . Now on to restoration and will post any issues I may have as I go along. Once again thank you for help

hello everyone.. i also have a 2270 and i'm waiting for the switch and snubber that i ordered on ebay... but in the mean time let me show you the wiring that my 2270 has, maybe it can help...

aKGwSa6.jpg

i hope it helps!!

Last edited:
I have rebuilt it all but have a new problem now. There is no sound at all from tuner. The signal needle moves when I try to tune known frequencies but no sound. I have recapped all the tuner boards as well and removed all the boards to check solder bridges etc, nothing. I have cleaned the mute switch at the back and set it to minimum. Switch at the back has been cleaned and Deoxed. Aux and phono inputs work as they should. Can anyone please guide me where to look for problem ?
Thanks in advance.

Is there no sound on both AM and FM? In your research, did you notice that the polarity of C183 is incorrect on the Board silkscreen? Of course, this would only affect AM.

There is sound on AM but pin drop silence on FM. The needle moves when I tune to a known working frequency. but no sound at all. I was not aware of capacitor issue but I checked and I have installed it correctly i.e. opposite to silk screen print. Thank you

My experience level won’t be of much help to you on the FM tuner. I’m sure someone will jump in with some good advice on how to proceed. I would make sure Tape Monitor switch is out. Otherwise, hang on - someone will help.

I have noticed that Multi-path switch on the front panel does not engage , could this have anything to do with my issue? Wiring checked with continuity meter it is intact

Thank you, I was tearing my hairs out as to why It wont engage.

Attachments

• IMG_0910.JPG
    IMG_0910.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0911.JPG
    IMG_0911.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0912.JPG
    IMG_0912.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0913.JPG
    IMG_0913.JPG