Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Picked up a Kenwood KR-V6060 AVR today for nothing, because it has a UK plug fitted. Luckily, the UK and NZ share the same standard for power so it just needs a plug transplant. It's rated 100 WPC / 8 ohm for stereo and weighs nearly 10 Kgs.....

Not hifi, but it has knobs and lights... well, a light. Although I can't play I have always been fascinated by keyboards and synthesizers. So when I found this Yamaha CP10 electronic piano for a tenner I couldn't resist. It was tagged 'hobby' which means it either doesn't work or the thrift didn't have the knowledge to test it. Took it home and it worked, but some of the keys didn't. Fortunately I've dealt with this before and as Yamaha keys are pretty userfriendly (compared to Roland that is...) I took the plunge. Took some time and elbowgrease but it came out nice.

Yamaha_8.jpg

Yamaha_9.jpg

Yamaha_1.jpg

Yamaha A700 today, initially left it thinking it was junk, apparently quite a valuable unit.

I understand how they could be passed off as junk (BPC) but they are actually great sounding amplifiers. Class A up to 20 watts if I remember correctly. I have one that needs repair, my shuts down it I turn it up to maybe 25%. I have held on to it in hopes to get it repaired someday

2D81335B-428F-4408-808A-C7A31BB62F1A.jpeg 2D81335B-428F-4408-808A-C7A31BB62F1A.jpeg I picked up this BIC Beambox antenna yesterday at our small town SA. First one I have ever seen in the flesh. It was inserted in a stack of BPC. I’m surprised I spotted it. After cleaning the filthy exterior, it’s working just fine. $10 plus local sales tax. Also found a Rat Shack multi-speaker switch box for $3.00.

IMG_5879.JPG

Thrifting today brought some CDs I'd normally not see. The three Telarcs came from the same store. Rare to find Telarcs. Didn't pay 8 bucks for the SRV.

S.J.

That Telarc The Firedbird was one of the first CD's I bought way back in the beginning. Cool.

View attachment 1155892 View attachment 1155892 I picked up this BIC Beambox antenna yesterday at our small town SA. First one I have ever seen in the flesh. It was inserted in a stack of BPC. I’m surprised I spotted it. After cleaning the filthy exterior, it’s working just fine. $10 plus local sales tax. Also found a Rat Shack multi-speaker switch box for $3.00.

I just bought and sold the same BIC Beam Box. I bought it along with a Yamaha DSP-A1 for $60.

View attachment 1155892 View attachment 1155892 I picked up this BIC Beambox antenna yesterday at our small town SA. First one I have ever seen in the flesh. It was inserted in a stack of BPC. I’m surprised I spotted it. After cleaning the filthy exterior, it’s working just fine. $10 plus local sales tax. Also found a Rat Shack multi-speaker switch box for $3.00.
I have 2 different Beam Boxes in my garage that I've picked up over the years.

I would not pass up a Bose 1801 myself. However I am kinda shocked at the harmonic distortion rating of 0.5%, Have you ever heard an example?

Bose never liked to advertise their specs. Mr Bose believed that the most important specs were not what was being measured. I’m inclined to agree based on what I hear when I use these amps and my 4401.

Mind you, these aren’t young ears anymore, but these perform quite well once Thierry’s mods have been done. Quite a talented Man is Thierry.

I would not pass up a Bose 1801 myself. However I am kinda shocked at the harmonic distortion rating of 0.5%, Have you ever heard an example?

You can't hear the difference between .01 and 1%. Don't let that deter you.

Back
Top Bottom