Best “cheaper” McIntosh Integrated?

c_corie

Considering a 6100 or maybe a 6200- budget is $2000 or under. Should I go through audio classics? Any other places like them? I’m in Connecticut and craigslist and eBay don’t seem to have a lot.

Any great ideas?

I have B&W CM8 speakers and a Hegel HD2 DAC

I’m use to using low wattage SE UL/Pentode or PP triode strapped tube amps.

MA 6200 integrated is designed to drive very low impedence loads, has a great variable loudness control feature as well as a 5 band eq that most owners would hate to give up.

There are far fewer out there than the older MA6100 but do remember the MAC4100 receiver is the same amp but with a excellent tuner included.

I have a 6200, it was my first Mac piece.
It’s a wonderful integrated amp, has the phone stage of the C32 (half of it at lest), and is light years ahead of the 6100 I think in terms of sound quality. It has both legs between the richness of the old Mac sound and the cleanliness of the modern Mac sound-the best of both worlds. Terry D did his audio path upgrade on it a decade ago and that brought it to a new level. I will say if you are driving power hungry speakers then it will run out of steam. I eventually added a 2205 (the costmetic match) And used it as a dedicated preamp after that to drive Magnepans - talk about a spectacular match.

Any great ideas?

Why not an MC162 or 7150 with a passive preamp / volume control ?

Or any of a dozen other power amp models?

You need meters. You need meters. I'm hypnotizing you. Or maybe the meters are...

716yPF0KJDL._SL1500_.jpg

I have thought about the power amp idea but I hate preamp and power amp not matching especially appearance wise. That’s why I never did the same thing with my tube amps- I pretty much had them put a passive volume knob and make the input a little more sensitive so my dac could drive it.

Is the 4100 literally the same parts? Or same idea.

Other than cosmetic parts, the tuner circuits and added supply voltages for the tuners.......same parts.

I absolutely love my MA6200. Recently updated and running strong. Very good phono in my opinion. Drives my Ohm Walsh fine.

What I love about the 6200 as my first Mac piece is that I never outgrew it. I ran it as stand alone integrated amp, then pulled the jumpers and ran it into the 2205 as a preamp when I wanted to add more power. It has done duty as both int & pre since then in various systems and is currently running a pair of Quad 22L2’s at my parents house.

As much as I love the esthetics of the earlier Mac gear like the 6100 (of which now I have many pieces of the earlier gear) the 6200 has more of the modern Mac look and is a bit more timeless. I too like the matchy-matchy when applicable, particularly with the Mac stuff (how can you not). The era of the 6200 had far more options for power amp matches (2155, 2205,2255 and all of the 7xxx series) which can provide monoblock options on those for mega-power set-ups if you eventually want to drive difficult speakers like Maggie’s. Plus the MR75 and 78 tuners match as well.

I think the 6200 is the best of the gateway drugs into having a very versatile unit for under $2k that you won’t really outgrow.
Both vendors mentioned have great reputations so I think it would just come down to who had stock in hand, and who is offering the better deal on what you want.

+1 on the 4100; I loved mine so much, I bought another one. Great units and very reasonably priced.

You get an MA6200 + a MT75 in one box.

Last edited:
I've made three purchases from Audio Classics -- two in B1 condition; one in C1. The C1 was not appreciably lesser than the B1, but resulted in significant savings. I would not purchase anything not rated "1." Mcintosh gear is well built but needs attention as it gets older -- Audio Classics has the history, reputation, and service bench to provide reliable gear.

I’m on the wait list for 6200 from McIntoshAudio- I called audio classics and they were nice but maybe a little overwhelmed and I emailed them and I didn’t get much info. I think for the amount of work the other guy says he puts in the price seemed fair- now I’m just waiting until he finds one I guess! Woooooo

Terry does the service for Mcintishaudio last I checked. He did the full audio path upgrade on my 6200 a decade ago and I have had Mcnuts I know marvel at the sound quality. I may be a heretic for saying it here, but Mc preamps aren’t the best-but after Terry did his thing it bumped it up to seriously good.

I think they try to keep it stock but I’m not sure- either way it will be restored to as good or better then new I assume. I just hope it’s very nice cosmetically- I told him I’m a little picky - so hopefully when I get the call it’s for one that’s in great shape.

I figure worst case- if I need more power or want to try autoformers there’s lots of power amps out there that match the look of 6200!

I think they try to keep it stock but I’m not sure- either way it will be restored to as good or better then new I assume. I just hope it’s very nice cosmetically- I told him I’m a little picky - so hopefully when I get the call it’s for one that’s in great shape.

I figure worst case- if I need more power or want to try autoformers there’s lots of power amps out there that match the look of 6200!
So many it will make your head spin.

Oh, and if you’re not into vinyl, get yourself a good turntable/cartridge-the phono stage on the 6200 is in the same family with the C32- it’s excellent.

Remember when you connect a Mac pre-amp to a Mac power amp, they have now become integrated. That said I liked MA 6200 very much. C-32 or 33 with a MC 7100. But my favorite amp at the time was a MC 7200.

Considering a 6100 or maybe a 6200- budget is $2000 or under. Should I go through audio classics? Any other places like them? I’m in Connecticut and craigslist and eBay don’t seem to have a lot.

Any great ideas?

I have B&W CM8 speakers and a Hegel HD2 DAC

I’m use to using low wattage SE UL/Pentode or PP triode strapped tube amps.

My vote....save up or stretch for a MA252. :)

What I love about the 6200 as my first Mac piece is that I never outgrew it. I ran it as stand alone integrated amp, then pulled the jumpers and ran it into the 2205 as a preamp when I wanted to add more power. It has done duty as both int & pre since then in various systems and is currently running a pair of Quad 22L2’s at my parents house.

As much as I love the esthetics of the earlier Mac gear like the 6100 (of which now I have many pieces of the earlier gear) the 6200 has more of the modern Mac look and is a bit more timeless. I too like the matchy-matchy when applicable, particularly with the Mac stuff (how can you not). The era of the 6200 had far more options for power amp matches (2155, 2205,2255 and all of the 7xxx series) which can provide monoblock options on those for mega-power set-ups if you eventually want to drive difficult speakers like Maggie’s. Plus the MR75 and 78 tuners match as well.

I think the 6200 is the best of the gateway drugs into having a very versatile unit for under $2k that you won’t really outgrow.
Both vendors mentioned have great reputations so I think it would just come down to who had stock in hand, and who is offering the better deal on what you want.
http://stereonomono.blogspot.com/2015/09/mcintosh-ma-6200.html?m=1

Back
Top Bottom