The Return of the G9000

kevzep

Its all about the Music
Well guys, I while ago I decided I was missing these big receivers, they look cool, they sound great and they are very nice to work on, they have style, and there really is nothing quite like them.
After working on a SX1980, SX1010, SX950, SX850 and a couple of others, there is something about the engineering and design of the Sansui's which clicks with me more so than the likes of Pioneer, although I do a lot of them!!
But Sansui is my favourite for repairing and servicing.
So, I started putting the feelers out, I really wanted to grab a G9000, but not at the current auction prices, they are fetching big money these days, I needed a fixer-upper....
Well, one came my way!! With the generous offer of an AK member we struck a deal (I can't thank you enough Toby), and pretty soon it was on its way to New Zealand...
It arrived about 3 days ago, and presently I am very busy with work and my race car with a blown engine, so I put the 9000 aside for a "rainy day".

But this afternoon whilst I came to a standstill with other work, I got the 9000 on the bench and got to work!!

I had to do dial lamps. Some holders were missing and the wires cut, the ones that had lamps were the wrong lamps, was a bit of a mess but not problem I had enough spare parts and warm white LED's to make it all work.
Replace some blown and missing output transistors.
Replace blown Soft start resistor with the correct wattage and value.
Clean and clean and clean and clean and clean some more, she was a grubby little Sansui....but as always scrubbed up well.
I replaced some corroded caps on the regulated power supply board. That glue had got to them, I checked all the voltage dropping resistors and made sure everything was in spec.
Fader-lubed the trimmers on the driver boards.
Fader-lubed controls and deoxit the switches.
Reconnected a broken connection from the filter board which was stopping the Right channel working.

Set Bias.
Set DC offset which incidentally is very stable.
Ran it up and had a listen.
Its going to get the full KevZep resto in the near future, but I'll have it in service in my music room for a while before I do that...
There is another surprise on the horizon which involves me selling some of my 2nd McIntosh system...You will all be the first to know!!

A sight to behold, the G9000 on the bench!! I love working on these things!!
Then the McIntosh MC2205 and C33 was cast aside to make room for the big G!!

IMG_5921.JPG IMG_5922.JPG IMG_5923.JPG

And no shipping damage along the way, that's impressive these days. The big 'G's were in a league of their own in the power receiver era.
Nice addition sir.

Hell to the ya man. I got me a perfect G-8000 to play with some day. One of the best sounding tuners in the world, even in the smaller G8K. A really killer phono stage also, built right in.

Congrats and am glad to see you coming back from the dark side. ;)

That thing is a beast kev!

They are a beast, almost weighs as much as a 2205, and although they are a "receiver", they can really hold their own, this one is supposed to 160watts per channel, but can easily make it past that... The tuner is actually one of the best I have heard, this one needs an alignment, but even now, its pulling in stations that other tuners can't in my isolated location, but the sound!! Shes FAT!!

And no shipping damage along the way, that's impressive these days. The big 'G's were in a league of their own in the power receiver era.
Nice addition sir.

They are, and an era we'll never see again, so its nice to be able to have something from the Receiver wars!!
Toby does a great job of the packing, I fully trust him and as I expected, he came through....Its always a relief when the package turns up.

Hell to the ya man. I got me a perfect G-8000 to play with some day. One of the best sounding tuners in the world, even in the smaller G8K. A really killer phono stage also, built right in.

Congrats and am glad to see you coming back from the dark side. ;)

Haha,thanks Paul, they are one of the best tuners around, I actually can't wait to give this one an alignment...
There will be some of the dark side with the blue meters in my house, I like their newer gear, so the main system in the Lounge stays, I reckon the G9000 is a very comparable sound to the dark side gear I had in my music room before...

Next project, I am buying back my G22000!! The guy I sold it to needs to cash up, so he offered it to me!! For what I sold it to him for would you believe!!
SO, I will have those lovely Big G's back and in my life, this is a good time!

They are a beast, almost weighs as much as a 2205, and although they are a "receiver", they can really hold their own, this one is supposed to 160watts per channel, but can easily make it past that... The tuner is actually one of the best I have heard, this one needs an alignment, but even now, its pulling in stations that other tuners can't in my isolated location, but the sound!! Shes FAT!!

They are, and an era we'll never see again, so its nice to be able to have something from the Receiver wars!!
Toby does a great job of the packing, I fully trust him and as I expected, he came through....Its always a relief when the package turns up.

Haha,thanks Paul, they are one of the best tuners around, I actually can't wait to give this one an alignment...
There will be some of the dark side with the blue meters in my house, I like their newer gear, so the main system in the Lounge stays, I reckon the G9000 is a very comparable sound to the dark side gear I had in my music room before...

Next project, I am buying back my G22000!! The guy I sold it to needs to cash up, so he offered it to me!! For what I sold it to him for would you believe!!
SO, I will have those lovely Big G's back and in my life, this is a good time!
Although mine works just fine it still needs to be gone through and be recapped some day I'm looking forward to reading about things you are going to do to yours.

Will share that after a full on rebuild other than main caps and a wholesale tuner board replacement (lightning damage early in its life took out most of the ic's), and alignment my G9000 is pretty sweet.
Getting your 22K back too, how amazing is that :)

Those LEDs look very incandescent.

Nice you're getting the G-22000 back. Now that's a beast.

Rob

Those LEDs look very incandescent.

Nice you're getting the G-22000 back. Now that's a beast.

Rob
I am not a fan of changing the illuminated look with different colors etc etc....So I use Warm White which has that yellowish/golden glow which really suits this G series.

I have to say I am pretty excited about getting my G22K back!!

As much as you like the sounds, it sounds like you may enjoy working on them more. Or at least more than working on a blown engine.

Life is good. Enjoy - - -

And getting the G22000 back! sounds like its a win all round, im loving my win....loving the G7700!! thanks

It's been a good Sansui week around here let me tell you!!

I was very apprehensive about selling the G7700, but it got me back into a G9000 which incidentally sounds possible a bit more "real" than the McIntosh setup I had there....Dare I say more musical, something more defining in the mid range...

I'm glad you are enjoying the G7700, its a sleeper that model, punches well above its weight!!

Getting off topic here but happiness is a room full of Sansui gear belting out (your musical selection here) whilst working on another Sansui on the bench. Try listening to John5 melody live whilst wagging the soldering iron for a serious litmus test of your air guitar whilst repairing a pesky circuit chops :)
-Lee

Great g9000!..., how much improvement (soundwise) in going from g8000 to g9000?… and to the g22000? They are all nice beasts :beerchug:

There is quite a noticeable difference going from the 9000 to 22000, but as you say, they are all pretty decent sounding units....
They have such style and flare.....nothing quite like them...

Getting off topic here but happiness is a room full of Sansui gear belting out (your musical selection here) whilst working on another Sansui on the bench. Try listening to John5 melody live whilst wagging the soldering iron for a serious litmus test of your air guitar whilst repairing a pesky circuit chops :)
-Lee

I could not have put it better myself!! Plenty of that going on around here let me tell you....

Super excited for you kevzep on such a nice receiver to enjoy and nice work so far!

Thanks man, it was a very exciting moment hooking it up and having a listen....!!

Back
Top Bottom