Let's talk Binoculars

Part of my kit, is still Leica 10x42 HD. Bino's, great glass, fantastic range finders. Range twice, dial once
This pairs 13 years old now. Still runs fantastic. I work hard to keep my kit in clean and maintained condition.

The Geovid's are not cheap at over 2 k per unit. In my oppinion well worth the money.

Dirk

I have a problem where every pair of binoculars I try does not fit my eyes spacing. My eyes are too far apart for any pair I try.
Is there a solution? Am I trying the wrong pair? Does someone make a binocular that is spaced further apart?
Is there an explanation for this issue? I have gotten 2 pair of fairly expensive binoculars as gifts but they don't fit.
Otherwise my vision is good. Lately rated by my Dr. that did the cataract surgery several years ago as being close to 20/20.

I have a problem where every pair of binoculars I try does not fit my eyes spacing. My eyes are too far apart for any pair I try.
Is there a solution? Am I trying the wrong pair? Does someone make a binocular that is spaced further apart?
Is there an explanation for this issue? I have gotten 2 pair of fairly expensive binoculars as gifts but they don't fit.
Otherwise my vision is good. Lately rated by my Dr. that did the cataract surgery several years ago as being close to 20/20.

You cannot find any pair that will adjust to your interpupillary distance? What is your interpupillary distance (in mm)?
Should be part of your eye Dr. visit and (I think) it will be on your prescription if you wear glasses (looks like you don't).

Here's a resource (FWIW) that Google turns up:
https://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Your-Interpupillary-Distance
https://www.birdwatching.com/optics/education/interpupillary_distance.html

Pretty sure most better binos will list the range of interpupillary distances they'll adjust to... if not, contact the distributors and ask 'em!

e.g., the Swarovski EL 8 x 42mm roof prism binos list adjustable IP distance from 56 to 74 mm
https://www.swarovskioptik.com/birding/el-42-c21011001/el-8p5x42-p5222897

So, one thought. have you tried only Porro prism binoculars, only roof prism binoculars, or both?

Porro-vs-Roof-Binoculars.png

I sometimes have trouble aligning my eyes with the prisms in a Porro prism bino. Personally, I find roof prism binos easier to adapt to (and, perhaps not coincidentally, the best binoculars tend to be roof prism designs).

Last edited:
Part of my kit, is still Leica 10x42 HD. Bino's, great glass, fantastic range finders. Range twice, dial once
This pairs 13 years old now. Still runs fantastic. I work hard to keep my kit in clean and maintained condition.

The Geovid's are not cheap at over 2 k per unit. In my oppinion well worth the money.

Dirk
Yup, the topline Leica binos (and their scopes) are, IMO/IME every bit as good as the Swarovskis and the topline Zeiss. Mrs. H and I compared an 80 mm Leica scope with her 80 mm Swarovski and felt that optically they were interchangeable (i.e., both are outstanding). She liked the ergonomics of the Swarovski better (but then again she's used to it).

You cannot find any pair that will adjust to your interpupillary distance? What is your interpupillary distance (in mm)?
Should be part of your eye Dr. visit and (I think) it will be on your prescription if you wear glasses (looks like you don't).

Here's a resource (FWIW) that Google turns up:
https://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Your-Interpupillary-Distance
https://www.birdwatching.com/optics/education/interpupillary_distance.html

Pretty sure most better binos will list the range of interpupillary distances they'll adjust to... if not, contact the distributors and ask 'em!

e.g., the Swarovski EL 8 x 42mm roof prism binos list adjustable IP distance from 56 to 74 mm
https://www.swarovskioptik.com/birding/el-42-c21011001/el-8p5x42-p5222897

So, one thought. have you tried only Porro prism binoculars, only roof prism binoculars, or both?

Porro-vs-Roof-Binoculars.png

I sometimes have trouble aligning my eyes with the prisms in a Porro prism bino. Personally, I find roof prism binos easier to adapt to (and, perhaps not coincidentally, the best binoculars tend to be roof prism designs).

Up until now, I didn't even know what the issue really is.

Thanks for your input, I will be seeing my Dr. in a few weeks and will ask pertinent questions.

Thanks again.

I only have experience with Japanese binoculars.

I have Japanese Tasco ones my mom bought in the early 70s but they are big clunks. Great image though and even on a cloudy day quite good. They sit near a window for bird & squirrel watching. Last year at a yard sale I saw a little pouch marked Nikon for $1 and in it a set of Japanese Venturer II's (8x23). Certainly not the end all be all but light and the clarity is superb. They are great for day hikes. But I keep hoping for a great flea market / yard sale score. Missed a set of Steiners by seconds one season.

My track record at fleamarket/yard sale binoculars isn't great, FWIW (and for whatever reason).
That said, of course, "Chance favors the prepared mind".

Yup, the topline Leica binos (and their scopes) are, IMO/IME every bit as good as the Swarovskis and the topline Zeiss. Mrs. H and I compared an 80 mm Leica scope with her 80 mm Swarovski and felt that optically they were interchangeable (i.e., both are outstanding). She liked the ergonomics of the Swarovski better (but then again she's used to it).

I've shot thru many of the scopes at the high end. Three of my rifles sport Schmidt &Bender PMII s with the f4 fine reticle's. After I retired I went with the gen II Vortex scopes, for my next couple of rifle builds. Impressive scopes, not up to S&B or Leica, Swarovski standards, but for the price point very very good glass. Being retired popo, and 100% disabled vet, I get a very generous price break.

Add the lifetime, no questions asked fix or replace policy, hard to beat.

Dirk

Up until now, I didn't even know what the issue really is.

Thanks for your input, I will be seeing my Dr. in a few weeks and will ask pertinent questions.

Thanks again.
In addition to finding out what your PD is (most average around 63-65 mm, "wide" is considered to be in the low 70 mm range), ask the Dr. if you are "right-eye dominant", or "left-eye dominant", that might be pertinent to this situation.

I bought these and didn't like them...Bushnell Marines
bushnell marine.jpg
Then I bought these, after a lot of online research. They rule...Pentax SP 10x50 WP

pentax 10x50_sp_wp.jpg

My Pentax are adapted to this Pistol Ball Grip, grip is on a heavy mono-pod.

Good idea ! Hand-held image stabilization is tough with any optic that has more than 8X magnification....a monopod is easy to carry, and will be quite useful !

I currently have a Vortex Talon HD 10x42 and would like to move up to their Viper HD 10x42 or possibly the Nikon Monarch 7 10x42....anyone own either of these? Can't afford the Swarovisions right now! Thanks,Huck

I currently have a Vortex Talon HD 10x42 and would like to move up to their Viper HD 10x42 or possibly the Nikon Monarch 7 10x42....anyone own either of these? Can't afford the Swarovisions right now! Thanks,Huck

I have a pair of Nikon Monarch 7's that I rate excellent. That being said, I also have a pair of less expensive Monarch 5's that are every bit as good as the more expensive 7's, just a tad smaller FOV on the 5's. They are a fantastic buy in the lower middle class, above the junk, bino territory.

From what I have read the Vortex Vipers are also excellent, along with their customer service. I would spring for the Vortex, since my last experience with Nikon repair shop lasted 5 weeks, along with some prodding, for a replacement bino. First repair attempt was a tune-up & clean the lens on a problem that was distorted glass, didn't even bother to check their own repair. Had to turn it around and ship back to them for a do over on the same problem...at least they paid the shipping 2nd time. Nikon customer service/warranty dept was unimpressive, though EVENTUALLY effective.

Last edited:
I came across another Sans & Streiffe pair. It is a 7-12 zoom. The binocular was made in Japan in the late 50s or early 60s. The optical quality is great, in my opinion. It has given me a good boost for my birdwatching habit. The distance to my birdbath is perfect for the 12 power zoom.

I have Viper HD 8x42's and love 'em. I use mine primarily for bird watching, but have taken them to concerts and NASCAR races, as well. I think they offer an exceptional blend of image clarity, brightness, low distortion, moderate weight, and good ergonomics at a reasonable price. Vortex's unlimited lifetime warranty is pretty hard to beat, too. I've had occasion to use it a couple of times (we have 5 pairs of Vortex bins and a spotting scope), and service has always been easy and quick.

BTW, we have a pair of Talons, and the Viper is a noticeable improvement.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Nikon Monarch 7's that I rate excellent. That being said, I also have a pair of less expensive Monarch 5's that are every bit as good as the more expensive 7's, just a tad smaller FOV on the 5's. They are a fantastic buy in the lower middle class, above the junk, bino territory.

From what I have read the Vortex Vipers are also excellent, along with their customer service. I would spring for the Vortex, since my last experience with Nikon repair shop lasted 5 weeks, along with some prodding, for a replacement bino. First repair attempt was a tune-up & clean the lens on a problem that was distorted glass, didn't even bother to check their own repair. Had to turn it around and ship back to them for a do over on the same problem...at least they paid the shipping 2nd time. Nikon customer service/warranty dept was unimpressive, though EVENTUALLY effective.
Yeah....Nikon customer service sucks...I am still waiting for an answer to my question that I asked at least a week ago,which tells me something....Vortex gets back the same day!
Vortex Vipers are made or assembled in China,but what isn't these days!.
I read somehere that one of the top three,(Swarovski,Leica,Zeiss) has one model,can't remember which one, that is made in China. Huck

Last edited:
I have Viper HD 8x42's and love 'em. I use mine primarily for bird watching, but have taken them to concerts and NASCAR races, as well. I think they offer an exceptional blend of image clarity, brightness, low distortion, moderate weight, and good ergonomics at a reasonable price. Vortex's unlimited lifetime warranty is pretty hard to beat, too. I've had occasion to use it a couple of times (we have 5 pairs of Vortex bins and a spotting scope), and service has always been easy and quick.

BTW, we have a pair of Talons, and the Viper is a noticeable improvement.
I agree that their warranty is hard to beat...Just have to sell my Talon's first,then I think I am going for the Viper HD 10x42.
I had a few years back a Nikon Superior E 10x42 porro prism that was my first 'real' binocular.Huck

Last edited:
I'm a bit of a junkie.

The Monarch 7s were my top dogs for a few years until I picked a pair of Vanguard Endeavor EDs.

Both are really great, esp for the price but Endeavors won in my opinion.

If you you don't need light weight and compact, the Nikon Action Extreme porro prisms are fantastic value.

Back
Top Bottom