Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

KR-4070, not really cheap at $40 but I'm a sucker for wood trim. DBT passed so I hooked up my 2.2 Minimus 7's and we're up and running.

Decent cosmetics, switches are clean and smooth. I really don't need another receiver but "no" is a hard word.

I've got the bug for the similar era KA-xxxx integrated with the big volume knob and VU meters. Patience...

27431607608_d090b767a1_b.jpg

26431904727_1e5a01db62_h.jpg

I couldn't have left that there for $40 either.

Picked this CD player up today at GW for $10

Sony CDP-C79ES from 1992

The lady was just putting it on the shelf. I saw wood and grabbed it :D

Got it home and cleaned it up inside and out. Inside the tray motor was still nicely lubed and is dead quiet. The drive belt is a tad softening but works perfectly. I can’t believe how good it sounds honestly.

Is there any info on the DAC in this guy? I believe it’s CXD2562?

BE12C672-6DD7-45FA-A832-7E13C65DD72E.jpeg D2A6355D-E8EA-4EA8-ACC1-BA7435F24F30.jpeg 7DD8724D-DF82-4914-9D18-A8EDCA6B1056.jpeg AE55BA91-0FE2-4894-9B3D-F2383A5490E3.jpeg

Last edited:

Sony CDP-C79ES from 1992

Got it home and cleaned it up inside and out. Inside the tray motor was still nicely lubed and is dead quiet. The drive belt is a tad softening but works perfectly. I can’t believe how good it sounds honestly.

Is there any info on the DAC in this guy? I believe it’s CXQ2562?

View attachment 1158605 View attachment 1158606 View attachment 1158607 View attachment 1158608

CX02501Q https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony/cdp-c79es.shtml

Sony CDP-C79ES from 1992

Is there any info on the DAC in this guy? I believe it’s CXQ2562?

View attachment 1158605 View attachment 1158606 View attachment 1158607 View attachment 1158608
I'm surprised they had optical out in '92.I had a similar player and it sounded pretty good until it stopped reading discs.

Not very often I get a 'scroe' around here but couldn't pass this one up. Probably paid too much but got a real whiner here. No, don't want to sell this one.

zamfir christmas tape.JPG

View attachment 1155892 View attachment 1155892 I picked up this BIC Beambox antenna yesterday at our small town SA. First one I have ever seen in the flesh. It was inserted in a stack of BPC. I’m surprised I spotted it. After cleaning the filthy exterior, it’s working just fine. $10 plus local sales tax. Also found a Rat Shack multi-speaker switch box for $3.00.

Like to see the inside of that antenna box, neat item. HiFi engine has an advertisement for a similar box, ad from DAK, and a user manual.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/bic/beam-box.shtml

The BIC antenna is a sealed unit. The top plate is smoked plexiglass so you can see inside but too dark to show up in photos. It beats rabbit ears appearance wise but performs similarly.

I was in Bloomington IL over the weekend and thought I'd look around for some deals.
The Goodwill only had old Aiwa systems for audio so I bought a DVD and a few books.
Found "Neighborhood Thrift" online and figured I'd stop in. 'Should have been "Expensive Antique Store" instead.
They had one small box of albums (maybe 20) that STARTED at $9.00 each :)

They DID have an old console radio that had been repurposed with an MCS receiver and some JBLs that were painted orange.
I passed...

I was in Bloomington IL over the weekend and thought I'd look around for some deals.
The Goodwill only had old Aiwa systems for audio so I bought a DVD and a few books.
Found "Neighborhood Thrift" online and figured I'd stop in. 'Should have been "Expensive Antique Store" instead.
They had one small box of albums (maybe 20) that STARTED at $9.00 each :)

They DID have an old console radio that had been repurposed with an MCS receiver and some JBLs that were painted orange.
I passed...

I had a similar experience at a thrift while visiting Madison WI recently. Nothing but crap I still had to ask the woman if the prices are negotiable because ALL her stuff is stupidly overpriced. There was a used el cheapo toaster for ten bucks and I'm sure she overheard me tell my friend you can buy a brand new one on sale at Walgreens for $9.99!!

Back
Top Bottom