What McIntosh Gear Are You Using?

C2500 and MC302

0EBbqbc.jpg
Very nice! Tell us more about the turntables...

Mcintosh MR-78 Tuner
Mcintosh MAC 4280 Receiver
Marantz CD-74
Technics SL-1210 M5G
Cerwin Vega 15T Speakers

Even though the 4280 has a Tuner nothing compares to the MR-78.. The 4280 may not have the best reputation but with the right speakers in my opinion it sounds great!

Do you experience any heat buildup with the components stacked?

Hi @Duane

I was a bit concerned at first putting the power amp beneath the pre but there's a lot of room/air around them.

And when I put my hand on the heat sink of the power amp its only luke warm at best, when usually run at between 60 and 75%

Hi @Duane

I was a bit concerned at first putting the power amp beneath the pre but there's a lot of room/air around them.

And when I put my hand on the heat sink of the power amp its only luke warm at best, when usually run at between 60 and 75%

Thanks.

Yesterday, I picked up my freshly restored MX112 from Absolute Sound Labs in Savage MN. Wow! Mark and Evan also did the full restore on an MC2100 a few months ago. Sweet music!
heart like a wheel.jpg
:thumbsup:

I have owned and used both new and vintage McIntosh before, but I am no expert.

I have previously owned a new MA-7900 integrated amp, but these days I have been mostly into the vintage stuff, owning a vintage MA6200 integrated amplifier that sound amazing.

But recently I was lucky enough to come across a beautiful stereo system build in 1966. I have never seen anything like it and it looks great to me. It might not have the power of modern day standards, but the sound is there, even though I can hear it could be improved with the right service. Especially the turntable sounds very low in output and with some system noise.

The craftmanship and attention to detail that went in to building this system just blew me away and now I have to figure out a way to get it restored probably. I thought that this might be the place to share this find with likeminded. Any ideas how to proceed, proper restauration or comments regarding this set up is greatly appreciated. Look forward to hear your thoughts.

I am adding a photo of the MA6200 as well. I listen primarely to vinyl, rock, blues, pop, soul, funk etc., but with this recent addition I am enjoying listening to radio as well. Mostly classical music.

The system consists of:

McIntosh MR71 Receiver
McIntosh MA5100 Preamp-Amplifier

with a Thorens 124MKii turntable and custom cabinet Pioneer speakers.

IMG_5432.jpg IMG_5316.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5436.jpg
    IMG_5436.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5463.jpg
    IMG_5463.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5455.jpg
    IMG_5455.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3215.jpg
    IMG_3215.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 50
I have owned and used both new and vintage McIntosh before, but I am no expert.

I have previously owned a new MA-7900 integrated amp, but these days I have been mostly into the vintage stuff, owning a vintage MA6200 integrated amplifier that sound amazing.

But recently I was lucky enough to come across a beautiful stereo system build in 1966. I have never seen anything like it and it looks great to me. It might not have the power of modern day standards, but the sound is there, even though I can hear it could be improved with the right service. Especially the turntable sounds very low in output and with some system noise.

The craftmanship and attention to detail that went in to building this system just blew me away and now I have to figure out a way to get it restored probably. I thought that this might be the place to share this find with likeminded. Any ideas how to proceed, proper restauration or comments regarding this set up is greatly appreciated. Look forward to hear your thoughts.

I am adding a photo of the MA6200 as well. I listen primarely to vinyl, rock, blues, pop, soul, funk etc., but with this recent addition I am enjoying listening to radio as well. Mostly classical music.

The system consists of:

McIntosh MR71 Receiver
McIntosh MA5100 Preamp-Amplifier

with a Thorens 124MKii turntable and custom cabinet Pioneer speakers.

View attachment 1183911 View attachment 1183912
Very nice. Really, a restoration of both the MA5100 and MR71 is in order given their age. Restored, the performance would rival a lot of today's offerings.

Very nice. Really, a restoration of both the MA5100 and MR71 is in order given their age. Restored, the performance would rival a lot of today's offerings.

Thank you very much. I am searching for the right person for the job. There is a lot of dust inside, so it does need a good cleaning up! Also some strange bumps and noises comes and goes once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom