New AV Amp Every Month it seems

They have to make up a new reason for people to buy them. They must find that consumers buy based on the latest "features" so they have to keep up with competitors. It's not for me, my 3 year old AVR is just fine.

We have in our living room the Yamaha RX-A850 we use it as a 2.1 system utilising Q Acoustic 3020 speakers with a REL Sub. we have it on Drama mode. Very happy with it indeed. But my point is I think there well passed A850 now

https://tinyurl.com/ycpmxod3

I buy a new one roughly every 7 to 10 years.

New models of just about everything come out regularly. Doesn't bother me one bit. The vast majority of the model changes are cosmetics or other largely incremental fluff, often just features/functions introduced on higher models trickling down.

We have in our living room the Yamaha RX-A850 we use it as a 2.1 system utilising Q Acoustic 3020 speakers with a REL Sub. we have it on Drama mode. Very happy with it indeed. But my point is I think there well passed A850 now

The format seems to be RX-A8x0 with a new model each year...RX-A850, RX-A860, and the current RX-A870...probably RX-A880 out later this year for 2018. So you are only 2 models (years?) behind. I'm rocking the RX-A2010 (and RX-A710) which is 6 model years out of date vs the RX-A2070.

I'm with whoaru99...7-10 years between upgrades (7 year itch?) seems pretty reasonable particularly if you buy last year's model at at a discount. My ears and eyes are becoming obsolete...so the AVR, speakers, and TV keep getting bigger to compensate... :cool:

I'm not buying into this Dolby Atmos BS. My 10 year old Pioneer Elite is doing just fine. And I'm not upgrading my HD-DVDs and Blu-rays to 4K.

I'm not buying into this Dolby Atmos BS. My 10 year old Pioneer Elite is doing just fine. And I'm not upgrading my HD-DVDs and Blu-rays to 4K.

Tell you what eletone That Dolby Atmos sounds Great in the movie cinema in town. But I think thats where it should be loved and enjoyed. i don't want those sound levels in my home. We watched Star trek recently. i nearly jumped out my seat. needed clean pair of trousers :)

That’s how they make their money, making you think that you need the latest....greatest thing that money can buy. A smart old man once said.....”If it ain’t broken don’t fix it or replace it !!” Creating a better sound requires the assembly of proper components irregardless of when they are made. I bought an AVR and took it straight away to a tech shop for a complete circuit check and eight cold solder joints were found. The receiver has a great sound that rivals the new stuff and it can adjust the video quality even on the new digital TV’s. Plus it has awesome two channel capabilities..

The real question should be....why are people spending money on something that just has a few new features ???

Thats why I never subscribed to AVR's or "surround sound."
Finding a quality 2ch amp, good mains, and setting it all up with optimal placement is difficult and expensive enough without having to worry about 5 or 6 more channels of it.

YMMV, I don't watch a whole lot of movies that have multi channel sound and Baysplosions.

My RX-A3030 sounds fine. Plus, it has some connections that were dropped in the 3040, and no longer exist at all, in models after that. Namely, s-vhs connections, and multi-channels inputs. So, short of upgrading to a CX-A5000, I'm sticking with my 3030.

The paramount question is, "Why should it be anyone else's concern regardless of the reason someone wants to buy it?".

There isn’t, it’s just a question based upon consumerism as an undefined uncontrollable social habit. Actually more than the hipsters keep up with the Jones by way of group peer pressure. The OP’s initially stated....How do you keep up with this PHENOMENON, in which technology is changing so fast just to make the consumers of the world buy their new technically evolving convenient equipment. How do you keep up if you always want the most recent techno toys.

Then with my abstract old fart answer I indicated that you couldn’t so why try !!!!

I remember in the late seventies when the subsidized Japanese companies were coming out with updated technologies fast than the American companies could keep up with. There was a guy I knew that was called Go Go Gadget because of the collection of the newest stuff and he lost money selling them so he could buy newer stuff. I got all my stuff from Go Go.....

I really don’t see this as how often do you buy stuff....

The manufactures of HT receivers really have no choice about how frequently they update their models if they plan on holding on to their market share, Never mind trying to get ahead. If 4 of 5 popular manufactures have decided to included Dolby Atmos in a $1,000 AVR, The one that doesn't get on board quickly will loose out. If someone is obsessed with buying the latest technology, All the better for the manufacture.

I am the last one to get into new technology for it's own sake. If it happens to be available for a reasonable cost when it comes time to buy, fine. The only reason I updated my flip phone to a smart phone is because it will not work on todays transmission bands.

I didn't buy my new Yamaha Aventage RX-A770 AVR because I wanted Dolby Atmos, The ability to control 9 wireless speakers from my smartphone (which is pretty cool), or the most recent HDMI video switching and processing. I bought it because I moved my 17 year old Onkyo DD 5.1 AVR, Which is all I need, (I do my video switching on the TV) to the living room.

Last edited:
Atmos is the most significant breakthrough in surround sound in the history of surround sound. You owe it to yourself to speak of it from a position of education. I encourage you to get out to a dealer and hear a proper Atmos setup.

Back
Top Bottom