I'm Going to "The Opener"!

elcoholic

Jet Fuel Genius
Subscriber
Can’t hardly believe it’s been since 2012 since I’ve been to The Opener, as in opening day of the Eastern Sierra Trout Season the last Saturday in April. It's been way too long so I decided to service my best reel, an early 90's TOTL Shimano Stradic for the occasion. Not once, but twice a small part was spring or compressed air launched and miraculously I was able to find it under my work bench. I’m taking that as a very good omen. My fish killing' WMDs are ready for line. I’ve been using 2, 4 & 6 lb test Maxima Green forever, but maybe I should consider something newer. June Lake is spring fed and very clear, so low-visibility in the water is key. Any recommendations on the latest and greatest line are appreciated.

IMG_0693.JPG IMG_0697.JPG

I've already been out twice this spring. I'm glad you are making a point to go out for the opening day. And good move servicing the Shimano. It sucks to be messing with it on the water. Although Shimano builds awesome reels and rarely break down. Do you keep a few for the grill or catch and release? Please update with pics after your outing

Last edited:
The setup I've been using the most the past few years is a Shimano Stradic ci4+ 1000 paired with a 7ft Diawa Presso ultralight.
It's been a great reel and has spoiled my other couple of combos as they aren't close to the feel of a Stradic.
I've been thinking of upgrading that UL rod to something else so I can pair that Diawa with a decent budget reel and gift it to my Dad to use.

Lately I mostly target Smallmouth Bass in the rivers and streams around here with the odd trip to some local ponds that hold Largemouth, Bluegills and Pumpkinseed.

I've been using 10/2 Powerpro Superslick line on my UL setup as I'll hook into a few bass over 18" every season along with some of the local toothy fish like pike and muskie.
I actually haven't used mono on one of my personal reels in well over a decade but I have used a lot of trilene xl, xt and some maxima ultragreen in the past.

I do. My oldest sons a guide based out of South Lake Tahoe. He fishes all year in selected streams. Fishing in Tahoe is excellent if you know where to go. I was fishing the Truckee last Wednesday & the Walker Thursday. Caught a few rainbows and a 22" Brown. Sometimes I get lucky. Fly reels a hell of a lot easier to service.

I'm gonna have to do some fishing when I'm back home on leave in Idaho. Trout are always a good fight, have fun out there.

Nice screwdrivers, BTW. I love those things for delicate work.

I've already been outside twice this spring. I'm glad you are making a point to go out for the opening day. And good move servicing the Shimano. It sucks to be messing with it on the water. Although Shimano builds awesome reels and rarely break down. Do you keep a few for the grill or catch and release? Please update with pics after your outing
The feel of these reels just says precision. A 1/8 oz lure will actually unwind it with the anti reverse off and it’s nearly 30. I have an 8 speed Shimano planetary hub and roller brakes on my bike. 4000 miles and zero maintenance or repairs. We’ll definitely eat a bunch if the fishing is good.

I do. My oldest sons a guide based out of South Lake Tahoe. He fishes all year in selected streams. Fishing in Tahoe is excellent if you know where to go. I was fishing the Truckee last Wednesday & the Walker Thursday. Caught a few rainbows and a 22" Brown. Sometimes I get lucky. Fly reels a hell of a lot easier to service.
No doubt. Nice brownie. They don’t come easy.
I'm gonna have to do some fishing when I'm back home on leave in Idaho. Trout are always a good fight, have fun out there.

Nice screwdrivers, BTW. I love those things for delicate work.
Hopefully the Alpers trout will be biting at Grant lake. They’re a hybrid crossed with silver salmon. They run about 1 1/2 - 2 lbs, fight like bonito and have delicious pink meat. Ditto on the screwdrivers.

What nobody fishes anymore?

It's been quite a while for me, used to fish regularly out of Davey's Locker in Newport. Thunderbird, the Freelance occasionally and skiffing it in harbor. Once landed a 12 lb. Blackmouth salmon at the bell buoy outside of Newport Harbor.

So, how was it up at June?

‘Bout a dz years ago they had a great cutthroat breeding program going at June. Trophy size on hand for the opener. Until a big storm scattered the pens throughout the lake. That opener was epic. Early limits & heavy stringers.

I have a bunch of those Stradics and made the mistake of lubricating the drag rollers once. It says right on the cage "do not lubricate". The reel would not lock in forward, it spun freely in reverse. The new ones don't even have an anti-reverse switch, always forward.

Back
Top Bottom