tube buffer for record-out on Fisher?

I'll see if i can find you the thread. If your not into tinkering it may not be for you anyway.

You could build it external for use off battery power too. I think it was in Dave's gilded 202 thread.

I appreciate the replies, but it sounds like too much of a project for my ability.

So, a $30 tube buffer isn't recommended?

Best answer I can give you is I don't know.
I've never seen or used one. It might do exactly what you want but at this point , your guess is as good as mine

Whats the fun in buying stuff that works when you can have hours of frustration figuring out why something doesn't work right?

Should be fine honestly. As long as it has high input impedance and low output impedance all is well. I just don't have any personal experience with commercial products, but if its a cathode follower like I expect it is, that will do the job fine. If I were building one to do that job, thats what I'd construct anyway.

I pulled the trigger, using some points on my Amazon Visa. I'll let you know how it works out!

Actually, I bought the one branded FX-AUDIO because the brand name is less silly and it's available with a silver face:

61JcrI7RI5L._SL1000_.jpg

Internally they look almost identical, except for the circular wiry thingy.

FX-AUDIO:

61GwqDmsAyL._SL1000_.jpg

Dilvpoetry:

71XpDJ3zp8L._SL1160_.jpg

Fair bet those things all come out of the same factory anyway. Maybe slightly different options depending on the label. The wire thing is a choke, most likely being used as a power supply filter. If this runs off a wall-wart, it probably steps up the voltage inside, and the choke filters out the switching hash from that process.

Wait a minute. These tube buffers won't do that as they are designed to go from either a phonograph or solid state to tube.Which IIRC is Low to HIGH impedance. Going the other way if you hook it up as it's designed, it'll really screwup your recordings. I'd suggest you build or have built the buffer that DaveGillespie designed to go into the 400 when the Space expander jacks are re-designated asPRE-OUT to MAIN IN Jacks. It allows the 400 to be used with S.S. Amps with no degradation ofsignal or sound. It would have to be built with a power supply so you'd need to design one.
It's fairly late in the thread so some readingis necessary.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/improving-the-fisher-400.511867/

Low impedance sources can feed a high impedance input with no problem. Its the other way round that you have problems. It really wouldn't make any sense to convert a low impedance source to a high impedance one. It would be a little difficult to do with a tube at zero gain anyway. I'm sure you could bodge together some horrible circuit to make it happen but why anyone would want to is a mystery.

Yeah,
Unless I'm missing something, I think the OP has it right.
Also I'm sure the thread Larry referenced is the one I was thinking of .

I'm happy to say that the tube buffer worked as hoped, and I was able to get some nice-sounding needledrops!

I'll probably spend another $20 to upgrade the tubes to NOS GE's, but it sounds pretty good with the stock tubes.

If that operates like I figure it should, it ought to be relatively insensitive to tube selection so I wouldn't worry about getting anything exotic for it.

Bought a Yaqin tube buffer several years ago for the same reason: going from tape out of my X-100-2 to a SS mixer.

Back
Top Bottom