Skin itching and burning? possible source(s)

Frankie's Market

AK Member
Subscriber
Hi folks, for about the last year I've been plagued with itching skin. Sometimes it just mild itching, they kind I'm not really aware of, other times its really severe, waking myself up from a deep sleep, and at times my skin feels like it is burning. I've gone to an allergist, changed soaps for both body and clothes without much luck. No change in my diet, I'm a very light drinker ( 1 glass of wine every few weeks), an occasional weeder ( hey, it's legal in Washington state!), I spin and row at the gym twice a week and I'm in my mid 60's. I take Zertec to relieve the itching/burning, but I'd like to get to the source. Any insight, suggestions, or advice?

Well, I was going to ask what the humidity was in your house, until I noticed you're in Washington state. You probably have to wring out your couch before you sit on it.

Clean bill of health on the sugar? Is Benadryl more of less effective?

I went through this about 3 - 4 years ago. Has occured each year since but getting lesser in intensity each year.
I did the same as you, allergy tests , changing soaps, got various creams from our Doc, did not help at all. It would last 2-3 months then decline.
I have decided it is the pollen in the air at a certain time of the year.
We live not to far from forrestry (pines have a lot of pollen at certain times) and we are in a very rural area. Sometimes One can see a yellowish film on the car.
Not much I can do about this. The various anti-histamine tablets I have tried make me feel terrible so I do not take them and I am not going to move .
So I will hope it keeps reducing in it's effect

Well, I was going to ask what the humidity was in your house, until I noticed you're in Washington state. You probably have to wring out your couch before you sit on it.

Clean bill of health on the sugar? Is Benadryl more of less effective?
I've tried Benadryl, it works but leaves me foggy and there is just no deep sleep when I take it. Trying to figure out what is the root cause of the itching and burning.

Trying to figure out what is the root cause of the itching and burning.
No change in my diet,
From the sound of it to me, it's in your system, blood stream, and not a surface irritant. Our bodies go though changes that we don't know about and we can become mildly allergic to something we've alway done and had.

If this itching is all the time I'd start a list of what you eat all the time, what medication you take everyday. Then try to go a week without something, if bread that means anything with wheat has to be removed from the diet. You could have a medication cocktail that doesn't work good in your system. One doctor give you something and doesn't think about what another doctors doing. Sometimes it's a case of a generic brand med that doesn't work the same as the name brand in your body. I took care of my mom for years before she passed and we had issues to overcome.

When I had a kidney stone, I did a lot of reading about kidney conditions. I think itchiness can be a symptom of some kidney disorders. If you have any other related symptoms, it may be worth looking in to.

From the sound of it to me, it's in your system, blood stream, and not a surface irritant. Our bodies go though changes that we don't know about and we can become mildly allergic to something we've alway done and had.

If this itching is all the time I'd start a list of what you eat all the time, what medication you take everyday. Then try to go a week without something, if bread that means anything with wheat has to be removed from the diet. You could have a medication cocktail that doesn't work good in your system. One doctor give you something and doesn't think about what another doctors doing. Sometimes it's a case of a generic brand med that doesn't work the same as the name brand in your body. I took care of my mom for years before she passed and we had issues to overcome.
Oh boy, the old food elimination trials, been there, done that 25 years ago, food out I had to eat Glutan Free! Yes, I've been trying this seemingly no response. I tend to eat a "more healthy diet" than the average bear. I'm wondering if it is just part of my aging process, but even still seems like it is something I should be able to identify and/or eliminate from either my diet or environment.

it's probably a food allergy. and occasionally multiple foods. every single food out there has
triggered allergies (tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, milk).

I'd try removing major categories of food for about a week. Dairy products first - milk was never
intended as a forever food. include creams, cheeses, ice cream, etc. if you have to have
"dairy" go to a BIG supermarket and get lactose-free milk (or go with soy/almond milk),
lactose free cream cheese, goats milk products.

then wheat in all forms -it is usually the gluten. leave milk out, then try gluten-free versions
if you have to have "bread". a great substitute for wheat/semolina based pasta products
is a edamame pasta (Costco).

then remove acid-based fruits (tomatoes - yes they are a fruit), these are night shaders
and are recommended to avoid for those with joint problems. and stop using
salad dressings.

lastly, switch to an Asian diet. possible if you are near a big city and Ok if you cook
a lot at home. avoid the egg/wheat based products like wantons, go with rice-based
noodles, rice based buns, and try rice for the starches/carbs. Chinese, Vietnamese,
Japanese, and Korean can often avoid the whole dairy/wheat problem. they are also
the last resort (Asian macrobiotic) diets - I have several friends who have beat
stage 4 cancers with this and other treatments.

correlate the itching to food intake or absence. your blood sugar peaks in about two hours
after food intake, and about 6 hours in, it drops except after waking. it can be a symptom
of pre-diabetes/diabetes.

environmentals. get/borrow an air cleaner, close windows for an extended test. go with
hypo-allergenic soaps/detergents, etc.

Just to add to my previous post #3.
Does it only affect you in the late spring - summer ? (pollen allergy)

I've had a similar problem for years. My doctor diagnosed it as "chronic idiopathic hives" - in other words, you've got hives, I don't have a clue why. I also tried changing soap, shampoo, laundry detergent, diet, all kinds of stuff. Maybe when I retire and have less stress it will help.

I've tried Benadryl, it works but leaves me foggy and there is just no deep sleep when I take it. Trying to figure out what is the root cause of the itching and burning.
A co-worker of mine struggled with this for a few years. Ended up taking wheat and most carbs out of her diet. She actually did this for another issue, but then noticed she’d wasnt itching. Been itch free for 6months now. Hates the way she has to be careful, but says it’s worth it. FWIW.

For symptomatic treatment of really dry, itchy skin, 12% ammonium lactate "lotion" (trade names "AmLactin" and "Lac-Hydrin") are very, very useful. It can sting on application (on really dry and abraded skin) but it really does cut back the itchiness. Both big name brands (once Rx only) are available over-the-counter nowadays and also can be found in generic (store brand) form from, e.g., the major pharmacy chains.

Back
Top Bottom