Apple is going to produce Asimov “The Foundation”TV Series

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
It will be based on the Trilogy, Foundation, Foundation & Empire, and Second Foundation. I am excited, and apprehensive. The executive producer is David S. Goyer,:dunno:

The Foundation series meandered on after the trllogy much like the Frank Herbert’s Dune series. The Gaia theme, with the Robots at the end was hard to take.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/apple-foundation-isaac-asimov-series-1202749126/

Last edited:
One of the classic works of Science Fiction, so it was eventually going to be done by someone. Apple? What's their track record for producing TV media? I see they are spending a Billion Bucks to produce original content, guess they think that's a good place to spend some of that massive stash of cash they are sitting on. I'll reserve judgement while I wait to see how they are going to monetize their investment. I'll look forward to this one - hope their treatment is as thoughtful as was Asimov's. Thanks for the heads up.

Can't be as bad as the "Atlas Shrugged" trilogy that came out a few years back.
Money was tight for them and they didn't have consistant actors for the whole thing.

If there was anytime these books could be done it is now. Trantor could not be done with models, but it can be with modern CGI.

I love Asimov but have misgivings about this. This is quite a task for a company with no track record in these things. Now, if they started with something simple like "Caves of Steel" I might be a bit more receptive.

I'd feel better if the Syfy channel were taking this on.

One of the classic works of Science Fiction, so it was eventually going to be done by someone. Apple? What's their track record for producing TV media? I see they are spending a Billion Bucks to produce original content, guess they think that's a good place to spend some of that massive stash of cash they are sitting on. I'll reserve judgement while I wait to see how they are going to monetize their investment. I'll look forward to this one - hope their treatment is as thoughtful as was Asimov's. Thanks for the heads up.

I love Asimov but have misgivings about this. This is quite a task for a company with no track record in these things. Now, if they started with something simple like "Caves of Steel" I might be a bit more receptive.

I'd feel better if the Syfy channel were taking this on.

I'm not sure standalone cable channels have the horsepower to do a long arc series justice anymore. I'm not even sure the cable suppliers (Verizon, Xfinity, etc.) will be able to keep the channel architecture they currently have. It would not surprise me to see SyFy and other traditional cable brands bought outright and positioned as a separate channel offerings within Amazon, Netflix, or someone else long term. These companies certainly have the cash to do that because of their global reach.

Netflix subscriber growth over the last few years is staggering. Can't find the citation but recall reading last year that Amazon has nearly double the users with their Prime video service. If I had to guess, I'd bet that multibook stories turned into series will be commonplace over the next decade. That type of content is key to building subscribers. I've never been an Apple fan I look forward to this and am hopeful they'll do right by it. They have too much riding on it.

https://www.statista.com/statistics...r-of-netflix-streaming-subscribers-worldwide/

It WON'T BE! No Will Smiff!
Nothing wrong with Will Smith, Aside from the fact he would have looked funny playing Dr. Susan Calvin who was the lead character in that story.
The problem was what they did to the story. They should have done the whole book. Kind of like Creepshow, with the individual stories.

Nothing wrong with Will Smith, Aside from the fact he would have looked funny playing Dr. Susan Calvin who was the lead character in that story.
The problem was what they did to the story. They should have done the whole book. Kind of like Creepshow, with the individual stories.
Plenty wrong with Will Smiff vehicles -
if you need to freshen your memory, I'll wait -
Just think James West ... UGH!

Already did, done - place called Coruscant :(
Yes but the vision Asimov had for Trantor was an almost featureless metal covered planet with only the Imperial palace grounds, and the Imperial University exposed to sunlight.

One of the things that Asimov never wrote about was the fall of Trantor and the Imperial family’s escape. Of Course Asimov was not really into such books. The closest book written to what the fall of the center of a Galactic Empire might have been like is Christopher Nuttall’s “When The Bough Breaks” (2013) Book 3 of the Empire’s Corp series.

Goyer is plenty competent to be handling this - he worked on Nolan's Batman trilogy as well as doing a number of other genre TV and film productions. He produced the one-season Constantine series for NBC and is currently producing SyFy's Krypton series.

Yes but the vision Asimov had for Trantor was an almost featureless metal covered planet with only the Imperial palace grounds, and the Imperial University exposed to sunlight.

Yep, it was closer to Giedi Prime (Harkonnen's world) in Dune although not quite as bleak -

giedi_prime_revisited_by_wittman80-d3dj03f.jpg

One of the things that Asimov never wrote about was the fall of Trantor and the Imperial family’s escape. Of Course Asimov was not really into such books. The closest book written to what the fall of the center of a Galactic Empire might have been like is Christopher Nuttall’s “When The Bough Breaks” (2013) Book 3 of the Empire’s Corp series.

Yes, with the big heat radiators. Point being that the surface was completely covered, in case of Coruscant - just one big planet city. Lucas "borrowed" quite a few of Asimov's ideas when making SW.

Yes, with the big heat radiators. Point being that the surface was completely covered, in case of Coruscant - just one big planet city. Lucas "borrowed" quite a few of Asimov's ideas when making SW.

Back
Top Bottom