AKG K702's what should I expect

Well the headphones came in and after a deep clean with Isopropyl alchol mixed with deionized water to get rid of any nicotine stank they're awesome!
They sounded kinda muffled and lacking in bass on my laptop but as soon as I hooked them up to the Yamaha the brightened up and removed all the veils and man do these headphones sing, very detailed and a lot less harsh than my Superlux's, there seems to be plenty of bass, then again I'm not a deep bumping bass kinda person despite the fact my speakers have 12" woofers...

They definitely need a lot more power than my Superlux's but when you feed them with something that can provide the power they need oh man! Instant bass and treble response improvement. They sound very similar to my speakers if not a little less bright.

Rest of the parts to make my cable should be here tomorrow, I bought some purple, balanced, Van Damme XKE STARQUAD Microphone Cable with some black cable braid to make it look all audiophile 'n fancy.

I'm not 100% sure I've heard the K702s but I've heard the K701s and own a pair of Q701s.

They definitely like a fair bit of power but in my opinion, they sound fantastic. They are the first headphones I let someone listen to that has a fairly critical ear and says they've never heard any decent headphones.

:thumbsup:

I'm not 100% sure I've heard the K702s but I've heard the K701s and own a pair of Q701s.

They definitely like a fair bit of power but in my opinion, they sound fantastic. They are the first headphones I let someone listen to that has a fairly critical ear and says they've never heard any decent headphones.

:thumbsup:

They really are, not fatiguing to listen to and very comfortable to wear, especially since the earpads fit completely over my ears unlike the Superlux's which would rest on my earlobes and make them sore after a while.

I've read they're a little light on the bass, there's a mod you can perform to these headphones which involves removing a sticker thats covering the port on the side of the drivers.
Performed this bass mod on my K702's this evening (along with a pad replacement). Definitely improved bass weight and extension, resulting in an overall more open, better balanced sound. I was considering selling my K702's in favor of a pair of HiFiMan HE400's, but I've got to re-evaluate that now.

Performed this bass mod on my K702's this evening (along with a pad replacement). Definitely improved bass weight and extension, resulting in an overall more open, better balanced sound. I was considering selling my K702's in favor of a pair of HiFiMan HE400's, but I've got to re-evaluate that now.

I'm considering doing it. After all it is undoable and all.

Got my cable finished, with my pretty purple Van Damme cable, I went with a silver and black MINI XLR connector as I feel it matches the asthetic of the 'phones. The cable braid I ordered was the wrong size... D'oh!

E1jlnef.jpg

I'm considering doing it. After all it is undoable and all.

Got my cable finished, with my pretty purple Van Damme cable, I went with a silver and black MINI XLR connector as I feel it matches the asthetic of the 'phones. The cable braid I ordered was the wrong size... D'oh!

E1jlnef.jpg
Looking good :thumbsup:.

Back
Top Bottom