Sugden A21 Signature

I have been auditioning a Belles Aria. Although painful to listen to at first it has improved remarkably. Still, I had to work hard to convince myself that I would like it long term.

Then came the A21. I just unboxed it this morning. I accidentally left my office key at home and went back home for it. While there I succumbed to the temptation of hooking up the Sugden. Within 5 minutes, still stone cold, I knew I loved it. I listened for an hour as it sounded better and better.

As far as looks, it's beautiful. Comes with a tag signed by everyone involved in it's manufacture. Hand built in England by folks who really care about workmanship. Pride of ownership is off the charts. Phono stage is a bit noisier than the Belles which is dead silent. That said the Sugden is very quiet and sounds great.

In short, I love it! Bravo. The Belles goes back to Gene with many thanks for letting me audition it. The Sugden is my long term solution. More as it just gets better!

Last edited:
Plenty of power, actually. Much better with inner detail and great control of the of driver. 25 watts with this single ended Class A design seems like all I'll need.

You can leave it on 24/7 but it just shortens it's life per Sugden. Turn it on and it's perfect in a half hour. Excellent from the moment you turn it on. Best amp I have had in my space ever. Makes me wish I had never wasted money on the others. The SE is even better but you have to buy an outboard phono.

EXuETaZMy0brGczhIBx4Dg_Hr9AZFU8BcRLz7Nl-NY7KaEcYFJuX8tj6g4imAVlgDsMFYzMsddbcE6jXUMpOTgbREkj4Jp7U-qE1xweVW3TM5T4m7TVTXzIQ3DJNVQOTi8cuYMirQdsjtQIFJOMm2kHz_AEKPXuTCrIVojwKodrwcbDOzZ5Jk08ywZqX892BfLDuGiplsWCNbe9MVHzlRwYHfyQQWu1Xc2Vga84E9UTPyy0g5Zrb9vMhaXZ3VZoGlkrR3f3G2oEdUatwtpbl7aZd8oFC1Ipk25dY04rWBGFN8L52zBlzAuE3gbTWh5k8WVyBMGP4Es97B6CHUdiYAKkKg4-E_jaBXJYz2Yte3M6Po5AQ-NwcbKXQjYqh0-c0QM1VXu6pSvGBEZ3yFjxiGcZGWO-6R8FSOOajwoa0mFtFI_05r33z9XIDrmvQ_ejI-u5O3RKwFCMJWIj3Jw0rPGQ2c6NSvoc3axAH2iMPG7QnW9ddYWu5fn2OEZO4R2ZcPk_bZ3eEnFEuWmvbsMPoe2RBqu_KP8wEXnAdAVpJ4dt-vb2LVKlH2AHHhdLtyp96Esb5utRBK0mit9oTfZdE3A8gB-ssV-Tqtkk_sqo=w1800-h1012-no

So, youve moved on from the Heed it looks like. Sounds like a wonderful amp. Is it a big improvement above the Heed?

Both the Sugden and the Belles offer detail and texture that are missing with the Heed. I love the Elixir but yes the A21 and the Aria are significantly better. I can only keep one so I have some decisions to make.

Plenty of power, actually. Much better with inner detail and great control of the of driver. 25 watts with this single ended Class A design seems like all I'll need.

I agree,in the right room,25 class A watts is plenty. I mix in a First Watt F5 in my system,and the results are rather impressive in my small listening room.

The A21 is a lovely amp. In the end the midrange was too forward for me and I kept the Belles.

…and now, with different speakers, I have once again invested in a Sugden A21 Signature. I thought I was finished buying before retirement but the opportunity to get one of these, brand new, at a reasonable price was irresistible. The Croft and the Rega IO are staying. The Croft has a sound that I can’t replace at anywhere near the price and it’s going to be passed on when I go. That said I also feel that the Suggie is an heirloom piece. The vast majority of A21’s ever built are still in service, per Sugden. So let the fun begin…it may take a few weeks to get mine, and I’m excited about it.

…and now, with different speakers, I have once again invested in a Sugden A21 Signature. I thought I was finished buying before retirement but the opportunity to get one of these, brand new, at a reasonable price was irresistible. The Croft and the Rega IO are staying. The Croft has a sound that I can’t replace at anywhere near the price and it’s going to be passed on when I go. That said I also feel that the Suggie is an heirloom piece. The vast majority of A21’s ever built are still in service, per Sugden. So let the fun begin…it may take a few weeks to get mine, and I’m excited about it.
Nice i always wanted to try 1 of these....cant wait to hear what you have to say about it..

Back
Top Bottom